Main Menu

5 Strange Predictors of Good Health

Started by RhinoP, December 02, 2011, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhinoP

5 Strange Predictors of Good Health
By Reader's Digest Magazine | Vitality – Fri, Dec 2, 2011 10:35 AM EST

http://shine.yahoo.com/vitality/5-strange-predictors-good-health-165800438.html

Interesting little piece, something I already knew. Many did not believe me eariler when I've said all along that the androgens responsible for balding, extreme facial growth, and finger growth also KILL you. It does. So FTM's, make sure your dosages aren't too high (like Chaz Bono) and MTF's, you have a medical reason you should transition, especially if you're over the age of 16.
  •  

pretty

Oh dear! Better inform the 3+ billion living men of this. They are in imminent danger!

I hear that living eventually KILLS you too :o

Also digit ratio is determined by prenatal androgen exposure in the uterus.
  •  

Da Monkey

Extreme facial growth? >-bleeped-<, can't imagine what that looks like. Hahahahahah

And finger growth?

"Men older than 60 years with an index finger that was longer than their ring finger were 33 percent less likely on average to develop prostate cancer. "

Okay, first of all FTMs do not have prostates, second if we did and hormones did make our fingers grow then they would grow evenly together would they not? Like, if your index finger was already longer than your ring finger hormones isn't going to make JUST the ring finger grow.

Plus, if you're taking too much testosterone doesn't it convert back to estrogen anyway?
The story is the same, I've just personalized the name.
  •  

Annah

hell, water can kill you if you drink too much.

Nothing new under the sun.

PS, I wasn't aware that you were privy to Chaz's medical records.
  •  

pebbles

Urr the reason why androgens are potentially harmful is for the exact same reason estrogens are potentially harmful.

They are hormonal growth factors. This alters the metabolism of various cells in the body. causing them to divide less or more. Breast cells grow in responce to estrogen but if a mutation in a breast cell results in a massive hypersensitivity to estrogen it will grow into a begnine pre-tumor. additional mutations can make it into a cancer.

The same with the male prostate with androgens. (or skein glands in FTMs Hence the drippy drippy on T)
  •  

Lepidoptera

Exactly what pebbles said. Androgens and estrogens are very powerful hormones and can lead to health problems. Some cells when exposed to high levels of these hormones can become cancerous. Neither is "bad", simply part of life. Castration without HRT isn't healthy either.

The poison is in the dose. Ingesting too much water can kill you, too.
  •  

SandraJane

Rhino...Facial & Finger growth?

Acromegaly?
  •  

Dana_H

I'm not sure what is meant by Chaz Bono's dosage being too high (I'm not aware that his blood chemistry is publicly available information), but I think weight management is probably a more immediate concern than the long-term effects of T. From a health standpoint, he's looking a bit fluffy right now.

I thought he was awesome on DWTS, btw. :)
Call me Dana. Call me Cait. Call me Kat. Just don't call me late for dinner.
  •