News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How to meditate[for those who are interested]

Started by Anatta, January 18, 2012, 10:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Even though this video clip was made for children, the mind is the mind so it is also suitable for adults too[whom after all are still children at heart-where's your inner child at] ;) ;D

::) I should point out I personally am not into the mystical stuff like astral travel or mind reading and the like, some people/mediators claim to experience these things...I say to those who are into this "whatever rock your boat !" However I just appreciate the contentment that comes from a mind that's at peace...

How To Meditate For Kids: A Children's Guide to Peace

::) Remember practice makes perfect[or in this case peace of mind  :icon_bunch: ]

Happy Mindfulness :)

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Sandra M. Lopes

Oh nice :-) A video done in Second Life! There is a rather large Buddhist community there (and also a large transgender community, too, hehe), sometimes with rather good teachers doing full courses.

As far as I can see, this is a Thai technique, right? At least I recognize lots of elements from the only Thai technique I know (namely, the labeling of thoughts and sensations as we recognize them). I always found that it's rather simple to follow and understand :)

I might just have some qualms about the very beginning of the movie explaining that meditation is "to clean out bad thoughts" (and yes, all the superpowers could have been skipped, but I understand the appeal of those for a younger audience). Subsequently on the video it's made clear that all that is done is to label the "bad thoughts" (I'm assuming the teacher is referring to anger, wanting, etc.), and, by doing so, not feeling the urge to act upon them, but just recognizing them from what they are: thoughts. Otherwise, the audience might think that this is some sort of "positive thinking" scheme, forcing oneself to just think positive things and reject negative ones... which is not the point. Fortunately, this is rather well explained afterwards with the examples.

My own teacher, although he doesn't follow the Thai tradition — although he learned some techniques with a few Thai teachers for a year or so — adds that when mentally repeating three times something we have identified in our mind ("cat, cat, cat" or "wanting, wanting, wanting") one ought to do the first repetition when the thought or feeling arises, the second one while it's present in the mind, and letting it go on the third one, watching as the thought/feeling disappears on its own. I have no idea if these additional instructions are part of the Thai tradition as well, or if they are already an adaptation used by other schools.
Don't judge, and you won't be judged.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

For those who suffer from panic attacks... It's a good idea to watch all three A, B, C... The first two gives an insight, then 'C' is an actual guided meditation...

A https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=OOHH6pxYi8A&NR=1

B https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKhJfrpDDg&NR=1&feature=endscreen

C https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=5GSeWdjyr1c

Happy mindfulness

Adios amigos

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Brooke777

I think meditation is very beneficial. It took me some years to be able to do it right. For me, saying a mantra at the begining and end helps center me. It is also a great way to get rid of chronic pain.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

My apologies, it looks like the 'beginners' meditation video clip is not working-So here's another one, this time by Jack Kornfield...

Enjoy...

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Brooke777 on January 15, 2013, 02:01:12 PM
I think meditation is very beneficial. It took me some years to be able to do it right. For me, saying a mantra at the begining and end helps center me. It is also a great way to get rid of chronic pain.

Kia Ora Brooke,

You are right, it can take years for it to become 'part of the norm', however for many people they can begin to 'feel' the beneficial effects after just a few sessions...

Mantras are also a good way of calming the mind and help clear it of unwanted thoughts...

•  

Anatta

•  

Sandra M. Lopes

Quote from: peky on January 15, 2013, 02:38:09 PM
so me and my bf James, we have a couple of Heinekens and there we are in trans

Hehe Peky, you remind me of one of my meditation teachers. Usually, when there is somebody new in the class, he starts to explain that meditation is not something to enter into a "trance", or "get visions", or, worse, to "project their astral body" or any such similar nonsense (that's why I'm a bit reluctant in accepting one of the videos that Zenda posted). In fact, if someone is after that, he recommends getting drunk or having a reefer, or make a visit to the neighbourhood just northwards of our meditation centre, where all sorts of illegal substances are to be found :) He says that it's far cheaper, gets immediate results, and, sure, has some side-effects, but at least it works instantly!

For the ones looking for a way to get more relaxed and calm, he advises them to have a nice sleep. :) While he's known for his sense of humour, he's usually quite serious when he says these things. By then, newcomers in search of any "superpowers" or with a Puritan mindset will immediately leave and never come back :)

For the remaining ones, he even explains, after a while, that it's not even the "calmness" or any other side-effect from meditation — like being more watchful, paying more attention, improving memory, dealing with stress, anxiety or frustration — are not even the goal of meditation. Sure, for many, they're a way to get people interested in meditation, but they're not the purpose of meditation. They're good, helpful, functional side-effects of meditation which will go a long way to improve ourselves, so long as we're not after all those things when we meditate. Again, some might be a bit confused about that, and also leave after a while (specially when they realise that all these things take a long time to develop, and, like everything else, require effort and dilligence).

In the words of my teacher, "Don't look at meditation like a 'natural' or a 'green' happy pill without side-effects. That doesn't exist". And so, yes, if what you're after is a "trance" or an "Out-of-body experience" or "Having visions", well, nothing beats a few Heinekens or any other kind of chemical, legal or not :)

It's so much easier and reaches the desired effect very quickly, and you don't need to learn anything :)
  •  

Sandra M. Lopes

Hah! I thought Zenda had already explained it much better than me!

In a nutshell, it's simply to stop being subject to any kind of suffering, no matter how subtle it might be. And note that even what we usually see as happiness is not "perfect": after all, a moment of happiness (no matter how long it can last) will end at some point in time. Even if it ends with one's death :) And when that moment passes, we will wish to feel happy again and do our best to do so — this is a subtle form of unhappiness. What meditation techniques achieve is to simply deal with all that confusion about what makes us suffer and what makes us happy, and erradicate the root of all suffering, once and forever, so that there is not any other single moment of unhappiness. Ever. Again.

You might say that this is an impossible goal — but it's not, it's just very hard. And, while on the road to achieve that, you still get all the benefits from the "side-effects". These will just improve over time, but if one only meditates to achieve those benefits, well, then the same kind of subtle unhappiness steps in. Imagine someone who meditates to feel a bit calmer. That's fine by itself and a good start. However, once you stop meditating, the effects of that calmness, like everything else, will slowly fade away. Obviously, the more you train, the longer the effect will remain, but it will still fade away.

So this has several consequences: the first one being, "why bother?" As you so well put it, a few beers will also "calm" you down (at least, for some people, alcohol has a calming effect — it's certainly my case!) and won't require any training whatsoever. This might be discouraging for some — I've came across a couple of people who told me things like, "oh, meditation. I did that for ten (or even twenty) years and I'm still a stressed person. It helps a little to calm me down, but  legal drugs are much better." That's a typical case of someone who focused on the side-effects of meditation while forgetting the ultimate goal.

The other possible consequence (albeit a rare one) is becoming obsessive about meditation, in the sense that it evokes some "good feelings", so you'll do it more and more to feel those "good feelings" (whatever they might be: calmness is an example). But since the motivation is all wrong, the result will just be getting a new obsession, and all the psychological complications resulting from an obsession. This is why it's important to get a qualified teacher that is able to point the way ahead while still warning about the pitfalls!

Another consequence, which is not so rare, is simply getting an ego-boost which will spoil the whole training: "oh, I'm such a spiritual person, I do a lot of meditation, and I'm so much better than the other people, who do nothing to improve themselves". Anything that provides an ego-boost is radically opposed to the whole concept :-P But unfortunately this is something that is quite common; it has even a technical name, coined by Chögyam Trungpa: spiritual materialism. It's typical for a certain class of people, who have little success in mundane endeavours (i.e. they might have a lousy professional career, or utterly fail to raise a family, or fail to pursue any worthwhile goal in life to be admired by others), and, at some point, they decide to become "spiritual" in an attempt to "show off" something that they're good at. Unfortunately, this is a very common trap, and, sadly, a lot of New Age groups actually promote this kind of mentality! And this will ultimately not only not benefit the person by themselves, but also make them get shunned by their friends and colleagues: let's be honest, nobody likes people with "holier-than-thou" attitudes :-P

A subtle form of spiritual materialism can be excessive, fake modesty: people claiming that they're completely worthless, the worst of the worst, and adopt an attitude of humility and submissiveness that is frankly irritating, in a deluded attempt to validate their interest in meditation — thinking that meditation should turn them into meek, subservient beings, and that by "showing off" how meek and humble they are, they're "revealing" their "spiritual prowess". While, in fact, this is just a different form of ego build-up, but in reverse — it's a mentality to compete to become "the worst of the worst".

Rather, a meditation practitioner will certainly develop a certain amount of humbleness — while they evaluate the degree of achievement in their training, compared to their own teachers, for example — but, at the same time, they will build up some confidence that: a) it works; b) we all have the ability to train ourselves, so that doesn't make us "special", but it simultaneously avoids thinking too bad about ourselves. It's a bit like driving a car: it's hard at the beginning, it's easier for some than for others, but, with enough training, we can all drive cars. We're not really "special" for being able to do so, but neither are we morons if we take longer than others — each of us is different.

I'm sure that there are a lot of other good examples about what happens when one focuses on the side-effects of meditation instead of the ultimate goal, but these should give you an idea :)

Nevertheless, it's also true that most people get "attracted" to meditation because of its positive side-effects. There's no harm in that by itself: if meditation was something horrible and stressy and uncomfortable, only masochists would try it out :) So, sure, the list of benefits from meditation is important. They are also a good sign that the practice is in the right direction. Qualified teachers will often tell their students to ask themselves: "am I a more level-headed person? do I behave in a more functional way? am I able to deal better with extreme emotions, from anger to euphoria?" If yes, then that's a sure sign that things are progressing in the right way, and the easiest way to know you're doing something right is if you can experience any of the side-effects. But one should not get side-tracked!

This is the reason why I frown a bit when seeing claims that meditation is able to develop extraordinary powers like mind-reading, levitation, or walking through walls. What my own teachers say to that is simple: if you're feeling very depressed, what use is to be able to walk through walls? (The ones with a keener sense of humour even add: anyone can walk through walls, all they need to know is how to open the door!)

Similarly, it's great if you're able to feel calm during meditation, but if at your workplace a colleague suddenly pisses you off and you angrily yell at him or her — what's the whole point? You can even claim to meditate hours upon hours every day to "feel calm", but if you still can't remain calm when people yell at you, then something is simply wrong. And, unfortunately, I'm aware of lots of people like that. One good friend of mine, for example, is always boasting on Facebook about how she has already bought "the whole meditation kit" and does I don't know how many minutes of meditation every day. But every second message of her on Facebook is about how sad and depressed she feels, often being unable to leave home for work. I have no idea who taught her meditation, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a qualified teacher, but just a book she read, or a tutorial she followed, without guidance. And I'm also pretty sure that in a few years she'll give it up and say, "meditation didn't work for me; I need drugs to deal with depression".

That's just because she was missing the whole point — not her fault, but very likely the fault of whoever told her about meditation (be it a book or a human being).
  •  

peky

•  

Sandra M. Lopes

Ha! No need to thank me; thank my teachers :) They're good at explaining this sort of things. I'm just a broken tape recorder :)
  •  

Denjin

I realise it's  been longer than 30 days, but it seemed silly to post a new topic in this case.

I just wanted to say that Mindfulness in Plain English (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-English-Bhante-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861713214)is an excellent text in this area, although it is focused on vipassanā and starts with anāpānasati.

Also, I think you can get it for free on .pdf if you want: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html.

I love it and read it from time to time. :)
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Denjin on April 07, 2013, 07:30:04 AM
I realise it's  been longer than 30 days, but it seemed silly to post a new topic in this case.

I just wanted to say that Mindfulness in Plain English (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-English-Bhante-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861713214)is an excellent text in this area, although it is focused on vipassanā and starts with anāpānasati.

Also, I think you can get it for free on .pdf if you want: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html.

I love it and read it from time to time. :)

Kia Ora DenJin,

It is a good book, and free for distribution, it's well worth the read and practice for the person who seriously wants to understand how they tick ...I've given away a few copies to friends

•