Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

kids and the family dynamics of it all

Started by -JR-, February 10, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JR-

(removed)
  •  

Felix

Generally kids adjust better to any major changes the younger they are when the changes happen. You likely will attract attention at your kids' school if you transition and they either see the process or see you and the father as a same sex couple, but it isn't an insurmountable problem, and isn't usually much different than the attention garnered by being an older parent, interracial couple, someone with a lot of tattoos, etc. Kids talk.

I started transitioning openly last year, when my daughter was in 5th grade. The kids and the staff have seen me go from presenting female to presenting male, and they have seen me with a male partner, and they are aware that Leah's dad is queer. They all did a great job changing their pronouns and everything, and except for one kid calling me a "freak of nature" I haven't noticed or heard about a lot of problems from school. The main issue I have is how the kids use the word "gay" as a generic insult, but I'd be unhappy about that whether I transitioned or not.

If you hide who you are or abandon your children, it's going to be devastating for someone and possibly everyone. There's going to be hurt no matter what, but you can transition and still care for and help raise your kids, even if you don't stay with your husband.

I'm not in your situation, of course. I was a single parent and my kid was 11 when I decided I needed to admit who I was and transition. My daughter is special needs, so I was already used to not having a "normal" family, and I was getting exhausted with pretending to be a girl.

When I told her she definitely had questions. It didn't take long for her to get used to it, though - children usually love their parents no matter what they look like.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

schism

i'm going to echo felix- your children will be devastated if you leave them.  especially at that age, kids don't see gender.  they see you, and they love you, and they need you to be there for them in a parental capacity regardless of your gender presentation.  transitioning at a younger age is better for them; they're a lot more accepting than adults and teenagers and generally go with the flow.  i have two kids, 10 and 6, my son doesn't live with me, so my transition issues have been focused on my younger daughter.  she's been curious and a bit confused but mostly accepting, though she is proving resistant with names.  she's starting to switch out 'mummy' with 'heath' now and then when we're outside though, so that's a bit of progress.  as your kids are so young they probably won't even pay any attention to the changes.

i'd like to be able to reassure you about your relationship, but i was married when i came to terms with needing to transition, and my husband couldn't handle it.  we'd been having a lot of issues beforehand though, but a lot of them were directly related to my being transgender, we just didn't know what the problem was.  that it turned out to be this just compounded those issues.

what i had to realise was that i couldn't go on living my life for other people, and that by perpetuating my own unhappiness i would never be able to be there in full capacity as a parent or otherwise.  trying to be someone i wasn't was making me ill.  other parents and school and being percieved a certain way are all external things that shouldn't have a bearing on the choices you make. 
  •  

Felix

What to call you is a good question. I ran "papa" and "dad" by my daughter, thinking she was too old for "daddy," but she pretty quickly chose to call me daddy. She had only met her other dad a few times though, so the title wasn't taken. Now I'm curious how standard gay couples approach this.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

tekla

discussed continuing living together as long as we can have separate rooms and I actually see that working

It works fine right up until the night he brings home some some smoking hot babe and keeps you awake for hours banging away on her while you on the other side of the wall realize ">-bleeped-<, shes better at that then I ever was".  If that doesn't do it, wait till he asks your kid to call her 'mom'. 

/watched this many times
//never seen it work
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •