Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Pope Condemns Marriage Equality in Speech to U.S. Bishops

Started by SandraJane, March 10, 2012, 01:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Quote from: justmeinoz on September 15, 2012, 03:41:02 AM
Given his position and the current Church dogma, I would not have expected anything else.  Whether the average believer pays any more attention to him than on any other subject is a different matter. 
As I am not a member of the RCC I am not any more concerned than I was before I read it.

Karen.

"Attack the issue, not the person."

This is not a hate site.
  •  

justmeinoz

If someone who I otherwise consider irrelevant doesn't actually act aginst me directly or indirectly then I will ignore them.
If however they act against me then they will be confronted with an enraged Xena clone , who is extremely pissed-off that 6 million of her distant relatives left via the chimney.  This is an extremely silly thing to do.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

tekla

Why exactly do people care why an old unmarried/never married German man now living in Italy says about US law anyway?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

peky

Quote from: Jamie D on September 15, 2012, 04:35:41 PM
"Attack the issue, not the person."

This is not a hate site.

That ^^ is absurd ! What you said is akin as saying attack the  issue of terrorism but do not attack the terrorist.

If the pope or anybody who is head of a major organization takes stand against the rights of others, then he or she better be prepared to be attacked.

The issue at hand is not attacking some nebulous issue on my head, it is attacking my right to marriage whoever I want.

•  

tekla

Attack the issue, not the person

The issue in this case is not separable from the person, as - according to Catholic Doctrine - the 'person' in question is 'god's chosen representative on earth'.  What he says is not a matter of 'opinion' or 'a position' but de facto becomes part of the church's Magisterium.  It's not like he's some guy at the end of the bar running his mouth after too many beers.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

peky

Ok, so lets stick to the issue (and not what this man was manning in the 1940's).

Why am I not surprised by the speech?

1) Genocides sanctioned by Constantine Anti-pagan laws,
2) Crimes against humanity committed by the crusaders,
3) Inquisition,
4) Cultural and Ethnic Genocide during the "conquest of the America," and the "discovery of Africa,"
5) Flip-flop position during the Holocaust,
6) New cultural and ethnic genocides started by those bent into bringing the "good news" to the South American Indians (1930's to the present)."

So, the issues is that we are dealing with an institution with a long history of attacking those who do not align with their morality or beliefs.

•  

MaidofOrleans

Quote from: peky on September 16, 2012, 04:40:38 PM
Ok, so lets stick to the issue (and not what this man was manning in the 1940's).

Why am I not surprised by the speech?

1) Genocides sanctioned by Constantine Anti-pagan laws,
2) Crimes against humanity committed by the crusaders,
3) Inquisition,
4) Cultural and Ethnic Genocide during the "conquest of the America," and the "discovery of Africa,"
5) Flip-flop position during the Holocaust,
6) New cultural and ethnic genocides started by those bent into bringing the "good news" to the South American Indians (1930's to the present)."

So, the issues is that we are dealing with an institution with a long history of attacking those who do not align with their morality or beliefs.

You forgot the thirty years war.

Anyways on the original subject, Catholics or even Christians for that matter did not invent marriage so they have no more a right to define it than anyone else.
"For transpeople, using the right pronoun is NOT simply a 'political correctness' issue. It's core to the entire struggle transpeople go through. Using the wrong pronoun means 'I don't recognize you as who you are.' It means 'I think you're confused, delusional, or mentally I'll.'. It means 'you're not important enough for me to acknowledge your struggle.'"
  •  

SandraJane

WOW!

For a post that's 6 months old....
_
Remember TOS 15, and keep the discussion on the article subject please!

•