News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

when to get a job?

Started by -JR-, April 03, 2012, 12:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epi

Quote from: Hayzer12 on April 05, 2012, 04:03:02 PM
What process? I am not aware of any processes in TN to do this. None of the support groups from TN have ever mentioned it; the only thing that I have ever been told is regarding free paperwork, but I had already bought the paperwork by then(cost me 50, I believe). I have all the name change papers, I just haven't filed them because it costs 150 dollars for filing fees; and that's 150 dollars that I do not have.

In addition to filing your paperwork with the court you would also fill out a fee waiver with that.  Any documents filed under that docket number the fees for filing are waived.
  •  

Hayzer12

I don't really see how someone who is voluntarily changing their name can be eligible for a fee waiver though... I don't see it happening in my county. I can try, but I just don't see it happening due to the nature in which I am changing my name.
  •  

Adio

Quote from: Hayzer12 on April 05, 2012, 09:49:30 PM
I don't really see how someone who is voluntarily changing their name can be eligible for a fee waiver though... I don't see it happening in my county. I can try, but I just don't see it happening due to the nature in which I am changing my name.

It's getting late here, but I can't figure out a situation where a name change wouldn't be voluntary?  Maybe if it's for an unwilling/opposing minor, I suppose.  So it's worth a shot to try the waiver.
  •  

Hayzer12

Quote from: Adio on April 05, 2012, 10:05:51 PM
It's getting late here, but I can't figure out a situation where a name change wouldn't be voluntary?  Maybe if it's for an unwilling/opposing minor, I suppose.  So it's worth a shot to try the waiver.

I meant all voluntary first name changes. I just don't see how they would waive the fee. I'm not very educated on legal matters, so idk.. but it just seems odd to me. I'm also a dependent on my father for school and government purposes, so wouldn't that play into it as well? T_T I really don't know.
  •  

lexical

Quote from: Hayzer12 on April 05, 2012, 10:48:02 PM
I meant all voluntary first name changes. I just don't see how they would waive the fee. I'm not very educated on legal matters, so idk.. but it just seems odd to me. I'm also a dependent on my father for school and government purposes, so wouldn't that play into it as well? T_T I really don't know.

It is possible to get filing fees waived for name changes in the US, it's called filing as an indigent. I think the process for applying for indigent status varies by state, so you'll want to look into that. They look at your assets, how much you make, and how much you spend on living necessities each month... basically they're looking to see if you fall below the federal poverty guidelines. However since you're dependent on a parent for gov't purposes, you may not qualify even if you yourself meet the requirements. Not sure though. Either way it's something worth looking into.
  •  

Robert Scott

Quote from: Hayzer12 on April 05, 2012, 09:49:30 PM

It's not a matter of voluntary change or what not --- it's that you can't change your name without a court process in the USA -- and no one should be denied the ability to change their name simply because they can't afford the court cost -- it's an infringement on your liberty.  The same holds true for divorces, marriages and assortment of other things
  •