Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Gospel of Judas and other alternative views of Chritianity

Started by debbiej, April 02, 2007, 01:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debbiej

I found this wonderful interview of Elaine Pagels on salon.com

I like the way this woman thinks!!!!

An excerpt:

QuoteIsn't that part of the problem that we get into when we talk about metaphor and the religious imagination? If you don't take scripture literally, how do you take it?

You can take scripture seriously without taking it literally. If you speak about the Resurrection of Christ, all we know historically is that after Jesus died, his followers became convinced that he was alive again. Now, what does that mean? They told many stories. Some of them said, I saw him with my own eyes, I touched him, he actually ate food, he was not a ghost. That's in Luke's gospel. And others said, I saw him for a moment and then he faded -- the way many people say they've seen people they knew who died. What I'm saying is there are many ways that people who believe in the Resurrection speak about Christ being alive after his death without meaning that his body got out of the grave and walked.

It sounds like you're saying that it's perfectly possible to take the Bible very seriously, to be a Christian, and yet not to believe in the supernatural miracles that so many people simply cannot accept.

Well, that may be. I don't dismiss all supernatural miracles, like a healing that can't be explained. Those do happen sometimes.

You may need a premium account with salon to view the whole interview.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/04/02/elaine_pagels/index.html

Debbie
  •  

Shana A

Thanks for sharing that quote Debbie. I don't have a premium account, so I can't read the rest of the article, however I have read, and highly recommend Elaine Pagel's wonderful book, The Gnostic Gospels. I really like the way she thinks too. :)

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•