News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

To express - or to impress?

Started by AbraCadabra, June 11, 2012, 01:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbraCadabra

I'm not even sure if one may properly fit this question under Philosophy -
YET, in these days, these days? - it might just have become a major 'philosophy' to IMPRESS? Like hey, mine is bigger, better, longer, faster, smarter, more expensive, shinier, etc. then yours.

If we KNOW our 'business' , if initiated into the intricacies of it, we do NOT need to IMPRESS. To impress is a form of pretence, yes?

To express, by comparison would be to speak about what is genuinely on one's mind - without an ulterior motive.

Or in other words: "if we are in a position to 'credit' ourselves – there is no need for it" :)

Maybe a worthwhile subject to look into?
Wrong expressions maybe more forgivable - then wrong impressions... just a thought.

Axélle

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Semiopathy

Yes, this question falls under Philosophy.  It is a form of relying on others for your own sense of self-worth, of comparing yourself to others to determine what is good and what is bad.  Person X wants a car, say a BMW, not because it is good, by some objective standard he has identified, but because it is better than his neighbor's car (how does he know it is better? Someone else, possibly his neighbor, told him so).  This type of person does not care about BMWs or any form of objective good, only about his relationship to other people.  He would be perfectly happy to live in a mud hut surrounded by pigs, so long as his neighbor slept in a ditch.  If his friends are petty thieves, the good, to him, would be to become a bank robber.  If his friends torture and kill animals, he will become a serial killer.

To place your concern, not with reality as it is, but with other people's perception of it, is social subjectivism.  To place your concern, not with reality as it is, but with reality as you wish it was, is personal subjectivism.  To set your mind to the task of identifying facts in reality, is to be objective.
  •  

peky

Quote from: Axélle on June 11, 2012, 01:39:42 PM
I'm not even sure if one may properly fit this question under Philosophy -
YET, in these days, these days? - it might just have become a major 'philosophy' to IMPRESS? Like hey, mine is bigger, better, longer, faster, smarter, more expensive, shinier, etc. then yours.

If we KNOW our 'business' , if initiated into the intricacies of it, we do NOT need to IMPRESS. To impress is a form of pretence, yes?

To express, by comparison would be to speak about what is genuinely on one's mind - without an ulterior motive.

Or in other words: "if we are in a position to 'credit' ourselves – there is no need for it" :)

Maybe a worthwhile subject to look into?
Wrong expressions maybe more forgivable - then wrong impressions... just a thought.

Axélle

Recognizing your own virtue is a virtue in itself !!!

or as my Granny use to say: "Frinds may forsake you, vanity will never let you down"

•  

ElusiveAppellation

I'd say that when we seek to impress, we are grappling for a foothold in a power relation. If we can find something that strikes a chord with someone else, we have the hope of winning their attention and favor, temporarily.

But to speak from the heart, without tweaking your beliefs and claims through embellishment to seem more grandiose and substantive, speaks of a more abiding (and quite probably more useful) type of power-- a character suffused with conviction and confidence.

Just my two cents.
  •