Main Menu

Serbia Becomes a Hub for Sex-Change Surgery

Started by Shana A, July 24, 2012, 07:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Serbia Becomes a Hub for Sex-Change Surgery

By DAN BILEFSKY
Published: July 23, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/world/europe/serbia-becomes-a-hub-for-sex-change-surgery.html?_r=1

BELGRADE, Serbia — Twenty years ago, newspapers here jeered that transsexuality was an act against God. Today, people are coming from around the world to Serbia for sex-change operations, which are now subsidized for Serbs by national health insurance.

"It is surprising that a conservative, patriarchal country is becoming a center for sex-change operations, but social attitudes are slowly shifting," said Cristian, a transgender activist from Belgrade who, despite that, was unwilling to give his last name.

Nearly 100 foreigners and Serbs have undergone sex-reassignment surgery in the past year, and the numbers are growing, according to the Belgrade Center for Genital Reconstructive Surgery, with candidates coming from France, Russia and Iran, and from as far away as the United States, South Africa, Singapore and Australia.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

MiaJ

Hello! First I must apologize to my English. Since the beginning of this year, trans people in Serbia were granted the right to free sex change, which is our great progress. Also in Serbia have exce professionals who have a practice of more than 25 years. One of the pioneer surgeon Dr. Savo Perovic, who is the founder of modern sex reassignment surgery.
  •  

dj1990

I wonder how much they pay for the surgery.....I was born in Serbia but have been in the U.S. most of my life.
  •  

MiaJ

For serbian citizen is free ! For other 2000€ + transportation + acomodation !
  •  

Isabelle

Are you sure it's 2000 euro? That's amazingly cheap!
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Cheap means it sounds like they do a crap job.
  •  

Isabelle

Possibly... Also they could just have an efficiently run health service that puts patient care ahead of profit? Who knows. I've emailed them asking for a quote just out of curiosity.
  •  

Isabelle

So they emailed back, apparently the price for penile inversion grs is 10000 euro.
  •  

MiaJ

You must contact government hospital, like GAK "Narodni front" or "Dragiša Mišović" ! In private clinic is much more expensive !
  •