Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The mystery ingredient is...

Started by Alexis, August 07, 2012, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

ok so this is a two-parter...prompted by a lot of discussion with friends over this past weekend, and I thought it'd be fun to put it here too for discussion

What's your favorite ingredient to cook with?
Any secret recipes/ingredients/techniques?

My favorite ingredient is Duck Fat. By far. I mean bacon fat is great, but it doesn't even hold a candle to this stuff. I have about 3 quarts in my freezer right now. I cook everything I can in it

As for secret tricks...nothing secret really. I'm always willing and love to share recipes with anyone who asks. The best thing that I can say is love...cheesy i know but i'm serious. Take a sense of pride in what your doing (this I think applies to everything not just cooking I think) and the results will be astoundingly better. That said some tricks that I can add are:

Substitute your vanilla extract for (decent) bourbon
A (tiny) dash of soy or Worcestershire sauce does loads for savory things (umami)
Add a touch of non-fat dry milk powder to baked sweets. It's like MSG for sweet stuff
Seasoning with vinegar can sometimes be so much more effective than seasoning with salt

So...anyone else willing to play?
  •  

Devlyn

I'll play! Once, I was invited to dinner by friends for Dawn's "World Famous Lasagna" and told that she wouldn't reveal the secret ingredient to anyone. I took one bite and said "This is good, did you put sour cream in it?" Dawn had a look of sheer panic and disbelief on her face with maybe a touch of betrayal! The family all started asking if that was the secret ingredient. I haven't been invited back. Hugs Devlyn
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on August 07, 2012, 08:41:24 PM
I'll play! Once, I was invited to dinner by friends for Dawn's "World Famous Lasagna" and told that she wouldn't reveal the secret ingredient to anyone. I took one bite and said "This is good, did you put sour cream in it?" Dawn had a look of sheer panic and disbelief on her face with maybe a touch of betrayal! The family all started asking if that was the secret ingredient. I haven't been invited back. Hugs Devlyn
haha, that's fantastic! are you a super-taster?
  •  

Devlyn

I'm a hobbyist taster. I like to figure out what is in dishes. Then I ruin the secret! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jamie D

Pulled pork made in the slow cooker, with Coca Cola as the secret ingredient (cooking liquid)
  •  

Kevin Peña

Cinnamon!!! I love it on meat, in soup, in sandwiches, etc.....

Also, basil tastes really good. I use it in marinara sauce a lot.

Lastly, and this is all good by itself, breast milk (I know it seems weird, but hear me out). It tastes like the milk left after a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch cereal. SO TASTY!!! (AND NUTRITIOUS).
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Jamie D on August 22, 2012, 03:38:47 AM
Pulled pork made in the slow cooker, with Coca Cola as the secret ingredient (cooking liquid)

Doesn't pulling your pork make you go blind?
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Cindy James on August 22, 2012, 05:17:54 AM
Doesn't pulling your pork make you go blind?

Why, thank you.

I don't think Alexis is going to be very happy with the turn her topic has taken.
  •  

Cindy

Just a gastronomic question. I've never pulled a pork and have never been asked, what does it entail?

I have to admit that pork, with exception of bacon, is my least favourite meat.

I have never bought pork , except for bacon.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Cindy James on August 22, 2012, 05:45:50 AM
Just a gastronomic question. I've never pulled a pork and have never been asked, what does it entail?

I have to admit that pork, with exception of bacon, is my least favourite meat.

I have never bought pork , except for bacon.

"Pulled pork" is a term that comes from the southern United States (to the best of my knowledge).  Pulled pork is cooked under lower heat, for a longer period of time, to retain moisture and break down connective tissues that would otherwise make the meat tough.

The pork them is easily "pulled" from the bone, much like a beef pot roast.

I wish Alexis were online now, as she could tell you the ins and outs of the process.
  •  

Devlyn

I'm surprised you could read the reply.
  •  

Jamie D

•  

justmeinoz

I just put it in the Slow Cooker for 4 to 8 hours. Same result, except that it is lamb.  :laugh:

My secret ingredient is probably just garlic and an extra onion whenever possible.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: DianaP on August 22, 2012, 04:55:10 AM
Cinnamon!!! I love it on meat, in soup, in sandwiches, etc.....
Omg, you're so right!

Quote from: Jamie D on August 22, 2012, 05:40:41 AM
Why, thank you.

I don't think Alexis is going to be very happy with the turn her topic has taken.
lol. I must say, I'm sitting here laughing; I don't mind at all
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Base receipt for mac and cheese included mozzarella and creme cheese.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Jamie D

Cream cheese goes with everthing!
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Jamie D

When I make a cup of hot chocolate, I like to add a teaspoon of Torani's sugar-free vanilla or hazelnut flavoring
  •  

Cindy

I had an experience yesterday. It was my wife's family 43rd anniversary of migrating to Australia from the USA. I offered to  provide lunch. They all wanted Kentucky Fried Chicken, as thy use to have it as their Sunday Roast in the USA. I had never tried it or even been in a KFC shop. So my brother in law gave me instructions on what to buy.

I have never ever tasted such incredibly bad food. They loved it and all ate several pieces of different chicken etc.  My 90 year old Mother in Law was ecstatic. They were almost fighting over getting the next piece, and I supplied over $50 worth for  4 people - plus me. I ate one piece and that was enough.

Dear Goddess thank you for never letting me eat any before.
  •  

justmeinoz

Did you try the reconstituted mashed potato and gravy Cindy? 
It's nice, even if it bears little relation to any potato I have ever mashed.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •