Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

women becoming more masculine

Started by CosmicJoke, August 25, 2012, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmicJoke

i'm starting to notice that cisgender women, or just the culture as a whole (american) is male dominated. therefore, it's become quite rare to see an actual feminine woman. most cisgender women in particular seem to be acting more aggressive and masculine in order to keep up with the male dominated culture. i'm feeling as though i am very ripped off in the sense that these "women" get credit for being women when they are trying to be more masculine, and then the only reason i can't be a woman is because i have a penis, yet i feel like in a common crowd of these "women" i feel like the woman, and they are the men. can anyone else relate?
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Nope. I think a lot of things considered masculine are becoming more acceptable for women to do, and while maybe not as much, I feel that a lot of things considered feminine are becoming more acceptable for men to do. My personality isn't 100% "feminine" so I can relate to them. I love some violent video games, I love some sports, I'm interested in taking a self-defense class for fun, and I'm not a pushover or someone like my mom and a few of my friends who expects a man to take care of her.
  •  

MariaMx

I suspect people were saying the same thing back when women started wearing pants. Femininity is not absolute , so no, I don't think so.
"Of course!"
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: CosmicJoke on August 25, 2012, 07:18:08 PM
i'm starting to notice that cisgender women, or just the culture as a whole (american) is male dominated. therefore, it's become quite rare to see an actual feminine woman. most cisgender women in particular seem to be acting more aggressive and masculine in order to keep up with the male dominated culture. i'm feeling as though i am very ripped off in the sense that these "women" get credit for being women when they are trying to be more masculine, and then the only reason i can't be a woman is because i have a penis, yet i feel like in a common crowd of these "women" i feel like the woman, and they are the men. can anyone else relate?

It's nothing to get excited about unless you are driving your car and a cis woman comes roaring up behind you and starts flipping you off because you aren't driving 10 over the speed limit. At first I had thought they had been drinking shots of straight testosterone but it turns out that it's all Starbucks fault and their triple shot lattes that cause such aggressive phenomena.  ;D
  •  

Rena-san

I'm slowly beginning to be one of those crazy people that believe that gender is stupid. Its just a way that we as a society use to divide people. The same things as race, age, and sexual orientation. The question becomes then, do we want to be divided, and if so do we want it to be based on gender?
Yeah, I'm a woman, genetically a man. But I'll wear what I want, and behave however I want. Doesn't really matter what gender an activity or clothing is. Think about it, how can a piece of clothing have a gender? How can an action have a gender?
If anything, these women you speak of are behaving "manly" in order to assert their power in a world where power struggle seems an necessary conflict in order to succeed. I find it sad we have lost the true meaning of happiness.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Hippolover25 on August 26, 2012, 06:46:02 PM
If anything, these women you speak of are behaving "manly" in order to assert their power in a world where power struggle seems an necessary conflict in order to succeed.

Guess they don't understand that they have all the power already otherwise a whole lot of cis males would be content to live in caves with just a TV, couch, mega bag of Cheetos and an icy tub of beer in front of them. It's just that some cis females just have to learn to use their power to make things happen as they wish.  :laugh:

Quote from: Hippolover25 on August 26, 2012, 06:46:02 PM
I find it sad we have lost the true meaning of happiness.
It's a state of inner being and not remotely related to having money and things!
  •  

UCBerkeleyPostop

Quote from: CosmicJoke on August 25, 2012, 07:18:08 PM

No.
  •  

Shantel

•  

dalebert

I remember a long time back watching some daytime talk show, don't remember which one, that was about trans women. They were pretty common. It's kind of disturbing when you think about it because they're milking anything with shock value. Now that trans people are becoming more accepted, I wonder what will be their next gimmick.

Anyway, they had a straight guy on who was dating one of the trans women. She revealed that she was pre-op and I can't remember which but either had no intentions of surgery or was at least in no hurry or was unsure. They asked the guy, who was an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous and very masculine hunk of a guy (trust me, I'm gay. I'm an authority), why he would date a trans woman over a cis woman (not their verbiage of course). He explained that his girlfriend seemed way more feminine than most of the women he'd ever met. I think ignorant people in the audience probably jumped to the irrational conclusion that maybe he was a little bit gay, but the reality was he was attracted to someone who seemed intensely feminine in a world where that was becoming more rare. She was very beautiful, btw, like model material.

I feel it's important to note how much of that was societally constructed though. She was more in line with an extremely traditional notion of femininity. How much of that is nature over nurture is probably a big point of contention between different viewpoints.

dalebert

Could it also be that some of the society-constructed rules and taboos around gender are just started to fall away and there are less hard and fast distinctions between men and women?

Shantel

Quote from: dalebert on September 13, 2012, 01:10:45 PM
Could it also be that some of the society-constructed rules and taboos around gender are just started to fall away and there are less hard and fast distinctions between men and women?

Dalebert,
        How very interesting! I have had those same thoughts as written in your last two posts in the recent past. Perhaps we're on to something, could we be witnessing some kind of shift?
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: Shantel on September 13, 2012, 06:31:33 PMPerhaps we're on to something, could we be witnessing some kind of shift?

I think we are. We're seeing women taking on more traditionally-men dominated jobs. We're seeing men and women experimenting with lots of cross-gender clothing. Men are starting to pay more attention to their appearance, even shaving, waxing their bodies or wearing make-up. There's the whole notion of the metrosexual, the straight man who's fashionable. Women are not submitting to the passive role that society has traditionally demanded of them. They're standing up for themselves more and demanding equality. They're starting to pursue their goals more aggressively. All these are generally good things, IMO.

Kevin Peña

Well, men are becoming nurses, women are becoming firefighters, etc. Thus, I can say we are seeing a slow, albeit real, shift. I'm really glad that we are.

However, some people are still a bit hypocritical. Particularly the women (sorry, ladies). I shave my entire body (except my head) and some girl was questioning me about it. The following exchange occurred.

Girl--> "Why do you shave your whole body?"
Me--> "Why do you?"
Girl--> "Because I'm a girl."
Me--> "Do you believe in gender equality and a woman's right to have an abortion?"
Girl--> "Yes."
Me--> "Then shut up and let me have control over my own body. It's my choice!"

I'm so evil.  :laugh:

Sorry, but I've always wanted to say this since I joined this site. --> Thread resurrection!
  •  

UCBerkeleyPostop

Quote from: dalebert on September 13, 2012, 11:56:56 PM
I think we are. We're seeing women taking on more traditionally-men dominated jobs.

Almost all jobs are traditionally male dominated except the crappy ones that men do not want to do. We are not seeing shifts in gender, what we are seeing is that people are becoming more aggressive as they struggle to keep a roof over their heads. Women can do any job a man can do.  Look at TV ads, women are being objectified and sexualized worse than they have ever been. The fact is most of us women do not have the time or energy to paint ourselves up so that we can be the object of the male gaze at work or school. Gender roles are not changing. We are just tired. And stop bashing women when we do not live up to the perfect object of the male gaze!
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: UCBerkeleyPostop on November 18, 2012, 09:59:30 PM
Women can do any job a man can do. 

Except male model, stripper at a male gay strip club, etc., etc.  :P  :laugh:

As for TV ads. Men could argue that a lot of commercials, sitcoms, etc. make men look whipped, simple, and stupid. Thus, we ladies don't have much ground there.

As for the objectification, I never intend on using makeup. It damages your skin and takes too much time to put on without making you look much different.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: DianaP on November 18, 2012, 10:13:43 PM
Except male model, stripper at a male gay strip club, etc., etc.  :P  :laugh:

I'm somewhat bothered that you didn't include straight female strip clubs. :P Maybe that's another way that women are becoming more "masculine", haha
  •  

Cyndigurl45

Hmmmmm I just don't see it

LOL ;-)
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on November 19, 2012, 09:20:43 AM
I'm somewhat bothered that you didn't include straight female strip clubs. :P

That's what the etc., etc. was for.  :P

Quote from: Sarah7 on November 19, 2012, 12:18:01 PM
Erika Linder disagrees.

Um, okay.
  •  

eli77

Quote from: DianaP on November 19, 2012, 03:16:09 PM
Um, okay.

Well, I thought it was cute. She's a girl who does some male modelling. Like Andrej Pejic, but the other way around.
  •