Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Facebook enquiries... second one asking for same details... a scam?

Started by AbraCadabra, September 27, 2012, 12:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbraCadabra

Hi all,

maybe I can get a handle on a message I received this morning:

"Sometimes we are in despairs with the things of life but in every situation always give thanks to God and appreciate all he has done and the good things of his creation for those special and unique kind of people that just for a moment makes you smiles and thinks of the Golden days ahead and a brighter tomorrow...my name is <removed> from Texas, I am a Business Man who is seriously searching for a soul mate (life partner) I found your profile so captivating as it came up as friends i may know here in fb and it left me wanting to know more about you.It will be my honor getting to know more about you.Hopefully you can send me your email or mobile so i can add you on yahoo chat or maybe give you a call sometimes."

My profile at FB is VERY basic in deed... nothing CAPTIVATING at all, not that I would say so.
A previous male, -business man looking for soul mate-,  had asked also about email and mobile information, as well as wanting to chat on Yahoo...

It seems too much coincidental and it makes me wonder, is there some sort of scam behind all this sweetness.

Anyone perhaps has had or heard about it before?

Axélle

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

AbraCadabra

OK, another silly (dilly?) dude... he didn't get as far as to ask me for money. In fact I don't really think he would have...
That's the problem with web dating... so many people live simply in "different worlds" and it takes more than just intuition - at least initially, to decide to go with it, or don't.

So many men expect women to be the submissive sort... I won't even TRY to play up to this expectation. I also do not easily "suffer fools".

This just for feedback after about 10 plus chats/emails and no real feedback – just wish-washy stuff. In deed just the same BS that I also noticed with the first man, also a FB enquiry that went bonkers over my few FB pics and what I had to say in mails. WHAT IS THEIR CASE?!
Must now be real careful not to get too cynical here.

These men all expect us to be really dumb chicks... frankly THAT pissed me off.
Maybe I'm just not "man material" - and then... so be it! :)

Unfriended the person, water under the bridge.
It's also something we have to learn and not throw in the towel – I guess cis-FAABs are a few miles ahead of us in that respect...

Axélle
  •  

Cindy

I think one thing we forget is how perfect these schemes actually are.

I read a critique of the Nigeria Banker scams, and I always thought they were so dumb that why post them? The critique was different, it held the view that the scam was well designed. Only a gullible fool would respond. If there was a response then you had captured a gullible fool and you can play them into the net. You don't have to spend time convincing someone who knows you are a fraud into anything.

The same with you posts. If you reply to them they know you are a lonely woman and they can design their attack on you. If your are not, no loss to them, they just wait for the lonely and vulnerable to bite.

We sit back amazed that someone bites, but people are lonely and will reach out.

I hate to think of how many bogus Charity sites have profited from buying little Angie new legs after her's were blown off by a land mine.

Sorry I'm getting to be a cynical old bitch

Cindy
  •  

AbraCadabra

"Sorry I'm getting to be a cynical old bitch" ... is the sort of reaction I try to avoid... and actually one reason why I posted this.

Being faced with so much foul play and bad faith makes me wonder HOW anyone can ever trust a person that is possibly quite genuinely interested to make one's acquaintance.

It is something that actually makes me really feel sad.

And not just saying this for rhetoric,

Axélle
  •  

AriannaJade

My mother in law got the a simlar message but the guy said he was from the U.K an they talked about a week then he started asking for bank info 0.o

AbraCadabra

Quote from: AriannaJade on October 05, 2012, 08:44:53 AM
My mother in law got the a simlar message but the guy said he was from the U.K an they talked about a week then he started asking for bank info 0.o

Don't tell me his name was Frank Graham (UK)... who happened my first FB inquiry along those lines, until I also stopped it - earlyish.

Axélle
  •  

Flan

It's probably a scam, the point is to get you off Facebook and the protections there to somewhere he can try to control (YIM).
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: Flan on October 05, 2012, 08:31:54 PM
It's probably a scam, the point is to get you off Facebook and the protections there to somewhere he can try to control (YIM).

Thank you for sharing this... a good point I hadn't figured out.

Axélle
  •  

justmeinoz

I just refuse to reply to anything like that.  Thanks to 30 years as a copper I see someone at a car by the roadside with the bonnet up and think "car thief?" rather than that they have broken down.
Always was a bit cynical, it just sharpened the edge.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •