Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Lipstick on cigarettes...

Started by abd789, October 16, 2012, 07:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Saying about the cost of a smokers healthcare compared to how much they suposedlyu cost the healthcare system is only taking into account a small part of the picture.

Do a search for the health costs of a smoker over a lifetime compared to the cost of a non smoker & it's often reported that due to living longer a average non smoker will cost more in the course of their life than a smoker.
It's a simple fact that many smokers don't live until retirement so that's one less cost for the government, this extract is from a Dutch survey done in 2008:

A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

The reason: The thin, healthy people lived much longer.

It's a sad fact of life that we all die but non smokers tend to have a prolonged period of not contributing to society (retirement) whilst requiring medical/housing/financial support from the state.

Try reading these links for some of the details (I can't get the page with the Dutch research to load but that's the downside of using a PS3)

http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/04/does-prevention-really-cut-health-care-costs/
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-04-08-fda-tobacco-costs_N.htm
  •  

Annah

Quote from: Jayne on October 16, 2012, 04:26:31 PM

It's a simple fact that many smokers don't live until retirement

another reason why smoking is no bueno
  •  

Snowpaw

Quote from: Annah on October 16, 2012, 04:38:54 PM

Agreed. Curse this habit T_T
  •  

Jayne

Quote from: Annah on October 16, 2012, 04:38:54 PM

I totaly agree that smoking is a very bad idea, I just feel that as consenting adults we should be able to mention smoking without being lectured to.
Arguments about the cost of smoking hardly ever look at the long term picture so that's why I posted the links, an argument needs to be balanced with all the facts, even the inconvenient ones.

I wish i'd never started smoking again, it's bad for my health, stale smoke stinks & it costs a fortune to name just a few downsides.
Unfortunately i'm a very stubborn person & the more I get told to give up smoking the more I dig my heels in & refuse to give up, I know many people like this, it doesn't make it a good outlook but that's the way I am
  •  

tekla

It becoming less of an option anymore.  Most places have banned it indoors, in SF you can't even smoke (cigarettes) in the parks or public spaces outside.  (pot is OK with a medical mary jane card, of course).  So I think it's moved well away from 'sexy' like Bogart or Bacall - but like anything forbidden, it now has acquired a fetish niche.  So it's kind of right there with balloons and water sports.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

abd789

well, this was more of a "artsy" or "poetic" post, simply capturing a moment of time in my morning

certainly was not meant to be a debate over smoking

I guess like anything else, if you dont like it you are not required to post here

if this were real life and the few of you walked up to me and told me smoking was bad I would smile and give you the middle finger... guess that applies here, too
  •  

JulieC.

How about we all just focus on the lipstick left on the rim of the coffee cup.  Sexy too?

"Happiness is not something ready made.  It comes from your own actions" - Dalai Lama
"It always seem impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela
  •  

Genevieve Swann

There are many TGs who have a smoking fetish so to speak. I smoke but not to excess. I don't smoke where it annoys others. The tax on tobacco products is around 800%. Therefore there should be no burden on the common tax payer.