Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Straightening hair?

Started by Apples Mk.II, November 07, 2012, 12:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apples Mk.II

Ok, another thing that I am getting more and more self-image aware.

Usually I just let my hair grow until it is impossible to control and I get a hair cut. It tends to get way too curly and is growing practically vertical... What makes my long face look even longer, sorta like Will Smith when he was a kiddo with that ninetie's hairdo.

I have never ever used anything on my hair. No gel, wax or anything. I wake up with such a mess that I tend to pull half of the hair when combing it every morning if I don't shampoo it daily. I have never used ironings, or chemical products, or whatever, thinking that it would further damage it.

So, any recommendations on getting my hair straight without damaging it? I want to start growing it longer , but first I need to know how to care for it. Whenever i visit the barber I just say "cut it, but don't let the temples show"... Sad.

I could use a straighten iron, but I don't know for how long it would last, and I am far too dangerous with hot things.
  •  

Beverly

I do not suit long hair. It makes my face look very long and narrow. My hair now reaches down to below my armpits so it is quite long. In spite of this I wear it up in a high ponytail. That way it does not make my face look long and I have a fringe over my forehead (well... some of my forehead, I am waiting on the magic of finasteride and minoxidil to work).

It could be that what you need is a bobbed haircut or bangs. What you and I both need is a trip to a qualified stylist who will advise on a hairstyle that suits our face shape. In preparation for that (after New Year) I am letting my hair grow as long as possible so that the stylist will have lots to work with.

•  

Apples Mk.II

For the moment my hair only falls to my ears... But the top part is an incredible mess. If I want to let it grow, I need to learn how to control first. I'm starting to get some regrowth, and If I keep damaging it, it is not going to be worth the effort. I really need bangs, but for that I need it to fall down...

Looks like the iron only works until the  next shampooing, and my hair gets wet almost daily with the gym.  I really need to tame it a bit, I'm starting to look like a lion. Foam or gel, maybe?
  •  

Beverly

What happens if you rub in a little mousse while it is still damp and then brush it straight whilst using a hair dryer?
  •  

Apples Mk.II

I have no clue... I have never ever put anything on my hair. I only use the conditioner and mousse for styling my My Little Pony toys... I need to wait for hours for my hair to completely dry before applying minoxidil (really bad weather), so whatever I do It's going to be destroyed after I put that thing on top.

Maybe I should go for a japanese straightening or whatever it is called.
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Apple Seed on November 07, 2012, 03:02:08 PM
I have no clue... I have never ever put anything on my hair. I only use the conditioner and mousse for styling my My Little Pony toys...

I have no idea what sort of stuff that is, but not all shampoos and conditioners are the same. Some make your hair frizz more than others. Try and get a smoothing conditioner or a "Salon Silk" finish. An "intense hold" styling mousse combed through your hair while damp will help keep it straight. Hair spray also helps.

I need to wait for hours for my hair to completely dry before applying minoxidil (really bad weather), so whatever I do It's going to be destroyed after I put that thing on top.

Buy a hair dryer...  ::)

Apply the minoxidil carefully. Wipe the applicator dry after filling it and lift your hair and apply the minoxidil directly to the scalp. Set your hair back down afterwards and do NOT comb it or else the hair will be pressed down into the minoxidil. Do no pat it down with your hand either.

Maybe I should go for a japanese straightening or whatever it is called.

If you want fragile hair to fall out then try it. This treatment can make healthy hair drop out.

•  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: bev2 on November 07, 2012, 03:26:12 PM
Buy a hair dryer...  ::)

I have one... It's half broken and only reaches half the power. My mother is so weird that she keeps the good one to herself. And in the gym, I have to share it with a dozen of other guys, so  the time to use it is quite limited.

In the end, I will have to buy my own one. Half of the things at home are half broken and they won't replace a single one...
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Apple Seed on November 07, 2012, 03:31:39 PM
I have one... It's half broken and only reaches half the power.

Throw it out and treat yourself to a new one

My mother is so weird that she keeps the good one to herself.

Well, if she has a working one she has no reason to steal yours.

Quote from: Apple Seed on November 07, 2012, 03:31:39 PMAnd in the gym, I have to share it with a dozen of other guys, so  the time to use it is quite limited.

Even so, using decent conditioner and a comb-through mousse and letting it air-dry would make a difference.

In the end, I will have to buy my own one. Half of the things at home are half broken and they won't replace a single one...

If they want to keep broken stuff that is up to them, but get yourself decent stuff. You cannot make a decent job of looking after yourself by using broken or useless stuff. You owe it to yourself.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

The appliances at home seem to be "for everybody", but... In the end is the same story as usual, they get pissed off every time I upgrade something at home. They already made a ruckus for upgrading the old DVD player, and they stopped me from getting a new vaccum cleaner because I was tired of using that piece of poop and repairing it.

Let's see If I can find a decent moussed during the reccess. I want my hair to stick in place during the therapy tomorrow.
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: Apple Seed on November 08, 2012, 04:05:12 AM
The appliances at home seem to be "for everybody", but... In the end is the same story as usual, they get pissed off every time I upgrade something at home. They already made a ruckus for upgrading the old DVD player, and they stopped me from getting a new vaccum cleaner because I was tired of using that piece of poop and repairing it.

A hair dryer is small. Keep it in a drawer somewhere.

Quote from: Apple Seed on November 08, 2012, 04:05:12 AMLet's see If I can find a decent moussed during the reccess. I want my hair to stick in place during the therapy tomorrow.

Go to a shop and ask for hair mousse for extra hold. Nobody will care. Get a hair dryer while you are there.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Ok, The mousse here is called... Just "foam". Not a lot of imagination. I'll ask for something strong in a good shop instead of just going to the super market.
  •  

Nicolette

This is one of my favorite hair dryers. It straightens hair as you dry.

http://www.babylisspro.co.uk/products/pro-ionic-thermal-

•  

Beverly

Quote from: Apple Seed on November 08, 2012, 06:12:36 AM
Ok, The mousse here is called... Just "foam". Not a lot of imagination. I'll ask for something strong in a good shop instead of just going to the super market.

Go to the ladies section, not the mens
  •  

Apples Mk.II

•  

Apples Mk.II

That's exactly what I had bookmarked for getting when I finish my shift, xD.
  •