Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anyone here ever used chutney?

Started by LearnedHand, December 22, 2012, 08:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

I am making a turkey for christmas, and I was originally just going to smother it in curry powder which I've done sucessfully before (for Christmas, I am doing a middle-eastern themed meal (I have to make a turkey though, outwise I'd probably do lamb) with Pomegranate soup, stuffed eggplant, and home-made naan). Yesterday, I picked up some Apple-Cranberry Chutney at the store, it's by this local company that makes extremely good jams and marinades, so I figured that would be good too. I've never cooked with chutney before, and figured I'd just throw it on the bird while it's cooking.

Anyone have any suggestions for using the chutney? Would the flavors clash with my other dishes?
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

spacial

Personally, I put the Chutney on the table as a condiment. I would also suggest you try for a variety of chutneys if you can. That one is a rather nice one but sweet. A lime chutney or pickle would compliment that well.

I have a jar of rather strong garlic chutney which is in oil. I rarely use the chutney itself, but top up the jar with veg oil and use it, occasionally, when something with extra bite is needed.

I do quite a lot of Asian cooking. I've found that, as in most cooking, it's best to keep things simple where possible. I'm sure the Turkey will be wonderful but I would have cooked it normally to allow it's own flavour to come out and made a decent curry sauce for people add as required.

But it all sounds wonderful.

•  

DriftingCrow

That sounds like a better idea, unfortunately my family is seriously the laziest people I've ever met, so I know they wouldn't be bothered to put the chutney of their choice on their food. (I know that from Christmas last year where they couldn't be bothered to put the salad dressing I made on their salad). I think I'll just do the curry pepper like I've done before, and use the chutney for something that I'll make for myself after Christmas. A different meat and meal might work better with that chutney anyway. Thanks for the advice!  :D
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •