Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Pope Benedict XVI Exposes the Profound Falsehood of the Philosophy of the Gende

Started by Shana A, December 22, 2012, 10:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HthrRsln

Quote from: Catherine Sarah on January 05, 2013, 10:44:29 AM
It's been a very very long time since I've heard a modicum of intellectual intelligence to this level. Where have you been hiding, Elspeth?

I will take a tiny bit of credit here, I invited Elspeth to join here after we had met on another forum and found we had a lot in common, and subsequently I found I preferred the atmosphere on this forum to the one we had met at.

And I agree with you on Elspeth's post. I frequently agree with Elspeth, except when she's being hard on herself about one thing or another.  ;)

As for the religion discussion, I have no illusions about persuading the Pope or church hierarchy any time soon, but these discussions can be very different with individual believers, and sometimes quite successful when they get some accurate understanding of what trans is all about. Many Christians get hung up on the fallacy that "God created you and God doesn't make mistakes..." or something along those lines, ignoring that their own theology teaches that this is a fallen world and not the world of original creation that God designed. They know this perfectly well when it comes to things like disease and evil in the world, so it's simply a matter of using their own beliefs to remind them of this. I am convinced that the attitudes towards MTF trans in particular come from deep-seated culturally-based sexual guilt and prejudice, and religion is fallaciously used to attack it.

Cheers!
  •  

Elspeth

Quote from: HthrRsln on January 05, 2013, 06:57:12 PM
I will take a tiny bit of credit here, I invited Elspeth to join here after we had met on another forum and found we had a lot in common, and subsequently I found I preferred the atmosphere on this forum to the one we had met at.

And I agree with you on Elspeth's post. I frequently agree with Elspeth, except when she's being hard on herself about one thing or another.  ;)

Thank you Heather. ;) FWIW, I think I probably have an inactive account here buried back somewhere a few years ago, or longer. I couldn't remember the name I was using then, or which of a half dozen no longer active email accounts I might have used back then.

I've been putting myself more or less on hold for the last 10 years, after divorce and separation more or less shattered my confidence in my own voice and opinions. My son's struggles in coming out to himself are part of what has lately had me thinking that I wasn't so wrong after all, and also that I just need to start living my life again, at least whatever's left of it, and do it on my terms, rather than allow well-meaning others to engage in pointless negotiations.

I expect to report back sometime in the next few days, after I've met with his therapist, and maybe move a bit closer to taking some necessary actions for my own benefit. Time to get to bed now, it's about an hour and a half's drive in each direction... hopefully I'll be finding a referral (or working out a way to do sessions via Skype) if I wind up wanting to work with the same therapist as my son.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
- Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas
  •  

Riley Skye

The church cares more about what goes on in the lives of people rather than helping the poor. They have great power and influence yet they do nothing to promote good change to help those who need it. Rather these hypocrites sit on their golden thrones more worried about their public image and our pants rather than the needy, I dont think Jesus would be proud of his church.
Love and peace are eternal
  •  

HthrRsln

Quote from: JuliaVB on January 09, 2013, 08:54:34 AM
The church cares more about what goes on in the lives of people rather than helping the poor. They have great power and influence yet they do nothing to promote good change to help those who need it. Rather these hypocrites sit on their golden thrones more worried about their public image and our pants rather than the needy, I dont think Jesus would be proud of his church.

That is undoubtedly accurate for some churches, but it is also true that many Christian churches and charities, and the broader Christian community do a great deal to help people in need. The Christian community taken as a group is one of the single most charitable groups in the world. Read the book "Who Really Cares" by Arthur Brooks.

It is true that the Christian community has many faults and is far from perfect. One of their greatest faults is their failure - in many cases, but not all - to understand transgender issues and treat those affected with the love and compassion they deserve.
  •  

peky

Quote from: HthrRsln on January 09, 2013, 11:42:39 AM
That is undoubtedly accurate for some churches, but it is also true that many Christian churches and charities, and the broader Christian community do a great deal to help people in need. The Christian community taken as a group is one of the single most charitable groups in the world. Read the book "Who Really Cares" by Arthur Brooks.

It is true that the Christian community has many faults and is far from perfect. One of their greatest faults is their failure - in many cases, but not all - to understand transgender issues and treat those affected with the love and compassion they deserve.

yeah, they go to some very poor third-world country where in order to get the 'cookies" they bring with, you first have to listen to the "Good News"

I have personally have seen the the disappearance of 1/3 of an Amazonian Indian tribe succumb to alcoholism and prostitution after they were "converted and civilized." The 2/3 of the tribe that back then decided not to become "civilized" are doing just fine and still living off the land like their ancestors, they have not lost their identity, culture or language.

My example above is but one of many...
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

Quote from: peky on January 09, 2013, 11:57:13 AM
yeah, they go to some very poor third-world country where in order to get the 'cookies" they bring with, you first have to listen to the "Good News"

I have personally have seen the the disappearance of 1/3 of an Amazonian Indian tribe succumb to alcoholism and prostitution after they were "converted and civilized." The 2/3 of the tribe that back then decided not to become "civilized" are doing just fine and still living off the land like their ancestors, they have not lost their identity, culture or language.

My example above is but one of many...

I must agree with Peky, I have seen similar things happen in less developed African countries. In fact you can thank oil companies for most of the proper assistance.
Awww no my little kitten gif site is gone :( sad.

2 Febuary 2011/13 June 2011 hrt began
  •