News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Any Metal Fans/Musicians Out There?

Started by Wynternight, December 27, 2012, 08:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jill F

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on May 22, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
I can take that idea even further beyond metal. My CD collection has everything from Napalm Death to Faith No More to My Dying Bride to Mr Bungle to Masonna to John Coltrane to Conor & Jay, etc.

Actually, I believe that they sucked since "Countdown To Extinction". After "Rust In Peace", that was it for Megadeth as far as I was concerned.

Countdown had some pretty memorable guitar work by Marty Friedman.  Youthanasia was crap, Cryptic Writings had its moments.  And yes, I am a huge fan of Marty Friedman. who once took the time to show me how to really bend a string.
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

I tried but I just couldn't get into that record. I just, like, "ughhh".
  •  

TheQuestion

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on May 22, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
I can take that idea even further beyond metal. My CD collection has everything from Napalm Death to Faith No More to My Dying Bride to Mr Bungle to Masonna to John Coltrane to Conor & Jay, etc.

Actually, I believe that they sucked since "Countdown To Extinction". After "Rust In Peace", that was it for Megadeth as far as I was concerned.

I can take it beyond Metal myself.  I'm mostly a classic rock person; but I've got Faith No More, Blondie, The Beatles, the Cars, Michael Jackson (80's MJ), Madonna, Kraftwerk (and a good deal of other techno artists), Dick Dale, The Ventures, Meteors, Run DMC, Misfits, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and a bunch of other random artists from most genera. 

Those are in no way my favorites, maybe The Beatles, but it shows I also like a wide array.  I'm not big into Hip-Hop, but there are a few acts who I do enjoy.  I'm pretty good with music, you name it and I've probably at least given them a listen.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: TheQuestion on May 22, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
I can take it beyond Metal myself.  I'm mostly a classic rock person; but I've got Faith No More, Blondie, The Beatles, the Cars, Michael Jackson (80's MJ), Madonna, Kraftwerk (and a good deal of other techno artists), Dick Dale, The Ventures, Meteors, Run DMC, Misfits, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and a bunch of other random artists from most genera. 

Those are in no way my favorites, maybe The Beatles, but it shows I also like a wide array.  I'm not big into Hip-Hop, but there are a few acts who I do enjoy.  I'm pretty good with music, you name it and I've probably at least given them a listen.

I love surf music and punk rock as well.  I have hundreds of classical CDs too.  Sometimes I rock out with my Bach out...
  •  

TheQuestion

Quote from: Jill F on May 22, 2014, 02:51:59 PM
I love surf music and punk rock as well.  I have hundreds of classical CDs too.  Sometimes I rock out with my Bach out...

Yup, I do classical as well.  I play piano and keyboard and had a little classical training as a kid; but never really stuck with it.  I do have a natural ear for piano though, so I can still play pretty well.  I play guitar too, but have never put much effort into it.  I should though, I'm not awful for someone who plays so infrequently and has had no lessons.  I find piano/keyboard to be far easier.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: TheQuestion on May 22, 2014, 02:57:59 PM
Yup, I do classical as well.  I play piano and keyboard and had a little classical training as a kid; but never really stuck with it.  I do have a natural ear for piano though, so I can still play pretty well.  I play guitar too, but have never put much effort into it.  I should though, I'm not awful for someone who plays so infrequently and has had no lessons.  I find piano/keyboard to be far easier.

I started playing piano in 1976, guitar in 1977.  The guitar sort of won.  I honestly lost count of how many guitars I have now, but I know I have exactly two keyboards.  One digital, one analog. 

It's sort of amazing how many musicians we have here.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Jill F on May 22, 2014, 02:16:10 PM
Mustaine is what mental health professionals refer to as "batsh*t crazy".  Megadeth IMHO has sucked pretty consistently since Risk.   What a waste of Marty Friedman.

Yeah if you watch that interview on youtube you kind of get that impression. Hell the Devil's chord or playing variations of it is what makes a good dark song. He talks about some strange crap.

Yeah I thought The Question was all over the place but seems like a lot of everyone else too. I just never could get into pop or rap though. My collection consists of a lot of AC/DC, pretty much every one of them. Some Black Sabbath with Ozzy, a couple of Dio, a lot of hair metal and a lot of Blues, especially Stevie Ray Vaughn, Muddy Waters, Albert King, Got a couple of Chuck Berry and my most prized posession, a box set of remastered songs by the great grandaddy of blues and dark mysterious selling your soul to the devil at the crossroads, Robert Johnson. So I am failry consistent from the blues which gave way to the rock and roll to classic metal to goodtiming hard rock to the hairmetal. Kind of sounds like more of a history than a collection.
  •  

Ltl89

Just curious, any King Diamond/Mercyful fate fans here?   I feel like I'm probably the only trans fan of those bands, lol. 

Quote from: Jill F on May 22, 2014, 02:36:48 PM
Countdown had some pretty memorable guitar work by Marty Friedman.  Youthanasia was crap, Cryptic Writings had its moments.  And yes, I am a huge fan of Marty Friedman. who once took the time to show me how to really bend a string.

Marty Friedman is an amazing guitar player, but Megadeth is an acquired taste.  Honestly, Cryptic Writings and Countdown could have been decent albums if they had a different vocalist and the production didn't bring the vocals to the forefront. Dave Mustaine is a great rhythm player, but his voice is just not for me.  Still love the first 4 albums despite it.  Personally, I wish Friedman would have used his talents elsewhere as he is one of the most amazing players in terms of feel and technique. 

•  

Jill F

Quote from: Jess42 on May 22, 2014, 03:03:36 PM
Yeah if you watch that interview on youtube you kind of get that impression. Hell the Devil's chord or playing variations of it is what makes a good dark song. He talks about some strange crap.

Yeah I thought The Question was all over the place but seems like a lot of everyone else too. I just never could get into pop or rap though. My collection consists of a lot of AC/DC, pretty much every one of them. Some Black Sabbath with Ozzy, a couple of Dio, a lot of hair metal and a lot of Blues, especially Stevie Ray Vaughn, Muddy Waters, Albert King, Got a couple of Chuck Berry and my most prized posession, a box set of remastered songs by the great grandaddy of blues and dark mysterious selling your soul to the devil at the crossroads, Robert Johnson. So I am failry consistent from the blues which gave way to the rock and roll to classic metal to goodtiming hard rock to the hairmetal. Kind of sounds like more of a history than a collection.

Love AC/DC, esp. everything with Bon Scott.  I'm with you on the Robert Johnson box as well.  It gets played a lot around here.  Oh, and any guitar player named King.  BB, Albert, Freddy, Kerry...
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: learningtolive on May 22, 2014, 03:08:06 PM
Just curious, any King Diamond/Mercyful fate fans here?   I feel like I'm probably the only trans fan of those bands, lol. 

Marty Friedman is an amazing guitar player, but Megadeth is an acquired taste.  Honestly, Cryptic Writings and Countdown could have been decent albums if they had a different vocalist and the production didn't bring the vocals to the forefront. Dave Mustaine is a great rhythm player, but his voice is just not for me.  Still love the first 4 albums despite it.  Personally, I wish Friedman would have used his talents elsewhere as he is one of the most amazing players in terms of feel and technique.

Friedman's solo albums are pretty awesome, esp. the first two. 
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: Jill F on May 22, 2014, 03:11:06 PM
Friedman's solo albums are pretty awesome, esp. the first two.

Agreed.  The first solo albums that Marty and Jason Becker put out are required listening for guitar players that take their craft seriously. 
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: learningtolive on May 22, 2014, 03:19:39 PM
Agreed.  The first solo albums that Marty and Jason Becker put out are required listening for guitar players that take their craft seriously.

Cacophony had some truly sick guitar playing.  I didn't like the vocalist though, but he wasn't their reason to be.  But seriously, I love Marty's Dragon's Kiss and Scenes CDs to death.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: Jill F on May 22, 2014, 03:09:20 PM
Love AC/DC, esp. everything with Bon Scott.  I'm with you on the Robert Johnson box as well.  It gets played a lot around here.  Oh, and any guitar player named King.  BB, Albert, Freddy, Kerry...

Oh yeah, Bon Scott. AC/DC was a long way from the Valentines. He really shined with AC/DC though. I love the whole Robert Johnson Mystery though, more than likely he went to Arkansas and actually learned how to play instead of selling his soul to the Devil in Clarksville MS. But it does make a good story and makes the songs a little more haunting. I just watched it on Youtube not long ago about how he really sucked at playing and he dissapeared for 8 months and went to Arkansas and came back and blew 'em away with his playing. Still though who knows, they say that he played like he was posessed after.
  •  

TheQuestion

Quote from: Jess42 on May 22, 2014, 03:03:36 PM

I actually don't really like pop myself, just a little bit of Madonna and MJ I guess, and both of them have a lot of terrible music.  For Hip-Hop I like the Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Eminem (I know his music can be bigoted), Wu-Tang Clan, Run DMC, Outkast, Gorillaz (not totally hip-hop) and The Fugees... and that's pretty much it.

I was going to include AC/DC also, and others like Zeppelin and Kiss, but I always sort of lump them in with classic rock; there's a lot of overlap. 

And as far as Def Leppard goes; I hate there pop rock stuff.  Their not really one of my favorites anyway.  Not really even into Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar On Me is awful IMO, but they did have some pretty great songs.  My favorite metal band would be Iron Maiden.

I really don't like much newer music.  I sort of go retro with everything.  Most of the movies, tv shows, music, cars, etc. that I like are from the 90's or prior.  Some good stuff these days, but things seem to be lagging...
  •  

jussmoi4nao

I live for Otep Shamaya, she is godd omg. I also like Arch Enemy. And System of a Down. And also Soundgarden.

I actually do a badass death growl lmao. I scare some people cause I'm small and have a high pitched, girly voice but watch out lool!
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: TheQuestion on May 22, 2014, 03:28:21 PM
I actually don't really like pop myself, just a little bit of Madonna and MJ I guess, and both of them have a lot of terrible music.  For Hip-Hop I like the Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Eminem (I know his music can be bigoted), Wu-Tang Clan, Run DMC, Outkast, Gorillaz (not totally hip-hop) and The Fugees... and that's pretty much it.

I was going to include AC/DC also, and others like Zeppelin and Kiss, but I always sort of lump them in with classic rock; there's a lot of overlap. 

And as far as Def Leppard goes; I hate there pop rock stuff.  Their not really one of my favorites anyway.  Not really even into Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar On Me is awful IMO, but they did have some pretty great songs.  My favorite metal band would be Iron Maiden.

I really don't like much newer music.  I sort of go retro with everything.  Most of the movies, tv shows, music, cars, etc. that I like are from the 90's or prior.  Some good stuff these days, but things seem to be lagging...

Aww, it's cheesy but fun.  I'm actually in that video from 1988.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: TheQuestion on May 22, 2014, 03:28:21 PM

I know a lot of those in the beginning of your statement just never really listened to them other than inadvertantly.

As for AC/DC, I can't even lump them in with any other bands because everything is so upbeat, lets go have a good time and get wasted and find someone to love if only for one night. Even Night Prowler which is sort of darker but still...

Quote from: Jill F on May 22, 2014, 03:33:15 PM
Aww, it's cheesy but fun.  I'm actually in that video from 1988.

I bow down to you Jill, there is a true star in our midst. ;) I really can't remember the video That was 1988 and I pretty much draw a blank from 1982 to 1989, morel ike just a blur, ;) but were you in the crowd or on the stage?
  •  

Hikari

While I listen to pop and electronic music the most, I like most genres of music including metal.

Bands like In Flames, Death, Cradle of Filth, in addition to more commercial sorts of music like Korn, Megaeth, and so on are the sorts of things I also listen to.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Nikki_Denier

Mostly thrash metal for me.  Was off of it for awhile and then rediscovered Megadeth and got sucked right back in a few years ago.

Megadeth, early Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, and alot of random single songs I like from some of the newer bands.  I'm also working on some of my own material, but I don't play very often.
  •  

Valleyrie

I listen to mostly death metal, death core, post-hardcore and metal core but am not limited by genre names. I'm into all types of music. ;p I play guitar too and have a drum kit but I hardly touch it even though I probably should since it cost quite a lot. I'd love to learn to do metal type vocals and being trans definitely gives you a wider range I suppose which is pretty damn awesome if you ask me. Imagine seeing a female vocalist hitting some insane lows, that would be a sight to see lol. :)
  •