Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Delusions . . .

Started by gina_taylor, October 28, 2005, 08:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gina_taylor

The other day I found a book on delusions that I found was interesting and I found this section:

"Delusions are unchanging beliefs that are held on inadequate grounds. They often defy logic and persist in spite of contrary evidence. Along with hallucinations they are symptoms of psychosis and involve a break in reality. They are most commonly associated with schizophrenia but can also occur in other psychotic illnesses and in severe depression or mania.

Some delusions are bizarre and obviously false to most people. For example, you might believe that you have come from another planet. Other delusions concern matters that could happen in the real world. For example, you might develop a false belief that your spouse is having an affair or poisoning your food.

PSYCHOSIS IS MOST COMMONLY SEEN IN SCHIZOPHRENIA
Schizophrenia is not, as commonly believed, a split personality, though that is close to the literal meaning of the word. People with schizophrenia do not switch back and forth between two or more distinct personalities. Rather, schizophrenia is a chronic medical illness of the brain characterized by psychotic episodes. Anyone can develop schizophrenia.

IDENTITY CONFUSION

Psychiatrists refer to this condition as gender identity disorder. In the past it was known as transsexualism, and the term is still used commonly, especially in reference to those patients who seek to alter their anatomy. The treatment of gender identity disorder aims at helping you to feel comfortable in your preferred gender. The sense that you are not really a man or a woman, in spite of your anatomy, cannot be changed in therapy. Most transsexuals choose to adopt the dress and lifestyle of the other gender. Men dress as women, wear makeup, and seek romance with men. Women bind their breasts and dress as men. Women wearing men's clothes are much more acceptable in American society than men dressing as women; perhaps this is why women seek counseling for gender identity disorder less often than men. Cross-dressing feels natural to you. You do not cross-dress flamboyantly as an assertion of our sexuality, as some homosexuals do. Nor do you find cross-dressing sexually exciting, as occurs among heterosexuals with transvestism. Your goal is to fit in, but as a member of the other gender. If you fall in love or have sexual relations with a member of your own sex (as happens in most cases), you usually think if your interest as heterosexual.  Sexual orientation refers to whether one is attracted more to members of the same sex or to the opposite sex, or to both. Regardless of how you define yourself, you should know that sexual fantasy or arousal with a member of the same sex is natural and is not a sign of mental illness."

My psychologist feels that this fits my personality, I beg to differ . . .

Gina
  •  

beth

You might want to get a second opinion from another doctor Gina.

beth
  •  

gina_taylor

Beth; About six months ago, I met with my psychologist and we had a little talk about things, and then he invited my parents in, and he told them that I am delusional.  I had shown the aformentioned piece to my mom, and she felt that it fit me like a tee, but as said I disagreed. I'll be seeing my psychologist again soon and I'll be discusing this with him , since I didn't have anytime to defend myself, and I'll see what he says. Hopefully I should be able to talk with him by myself.

Gina
  •  

Shelley

There are some assumptions in that book that seem to be trying generalise TG's sexually that I have problems with. Is this the area that you have taken exception to Gina?

Shelley
  •  

stephanie

Seems like that passage implies that the author considers gender identity and sexual orientation pretty much the same thing, which I very strongly disagree with, as do most professionals I've read about and talked with.  If your doctor backs up that book, I'd suggest finding a different doctor.
  •  

gina_taylor

That's a very good assumption there Stephanie. As far as I'm conserned, gender identity and sexual orientation are two totally different things. But you know Shelley, I have not taken any exception to the  passages generalization. As I said, I had read the passage and had shown it to my psychologist and he had felt that it diagnosed me very well.

Unfortuantely my psychologist is tied up with my psychiatrist and they're under my medical plan, so I can't really pick and choose. :(

Gina
  •