Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

All-Gender Bathrooms: Would You Be Comfortable Using One?

Started by Shana A, February 05, 2013, 01:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

All-Gender Bathrooms: Would You Be Comfortable Using One?

By Michelle Toglia. Posted on Feb 4th 2013.

http://www.yourtango.com/2013173056/gender-neutral-bathrooms-would-you-be-comfortable

Go on in, it's for everybody.

More and more we've seen (and gotten used to) the male and female symbols disappearing from bathroom signs around the country. But many bathrooms that allow men, women and transgender people are single-occupant restrooms. What about gender-neutral multi-stall bathrooms? How would that make you feel?

On Friday, an all-gender bathroom sign at the Parsons School of Design made it on to Humans Of New York, a blog that gives glimpses into the lives of New Yorkers.  The sign, filled with different symbols, reads, "Anyone can use this restroom, regardless of your gender identity or expression."

Brandon, who runs HONY, said on the blog's Facebook page that he hesitated before using it and found it to be an awkward experience. It immediately launched a passionate debate.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Sarah Louise

I've been in many combined bathrooms in Europe and Asia.  This was back in the 80's but I'm sure they are still there.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Devlyn

•  

KayCeeDee

Exactly, Devlyn. I've been in the gender-neutral ones on my travels through Europe as well.  Not a big deal.... Airplanes and port-a-potties are gender neutral too.  Just the way Muricans have been brought up to expect separate facilities.
  •  

Sarah Louise

•  

Devlyn

•  

Sarah Louise

Do you have a complete stranger of either sex walking up to the next stall at home?
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Heather

I've witnessed first hand what men do to a restroom! I mean come on is it to hard to lift up a toilet seat to pee? I just want to tell them your aim is not as good as you think it is. I can't wait for the day I know longer have to use the men's room.
  •  

KayCeeDee

I used to say "Is it that hard to put the seat back up when you're done?" - But seriously I do see your point and agree with you Heather!
  •  

Nero

Hmm not sure. I've been embarrassed by women in public restrooms while still living as female. I might feel self-conscious. I always have in women's locker rooms. I hated it when they would call a female cop to come frisk me. I'd seriously rather it been a male cop. Even if he got a bit frisky, it would probably just break the tension. I've never been abused by men, so...
But yeah I found a woman feeling me up and doing a body cavity search quite degrading (in ways I most likely wouldn't have had it been a dude). Probably due to my fear of women.

So I would hope I'd feel comfortable in an all-gender bathroom, but if prior experiences are any indication, I'd probably feel humiliated.

EDIT: Thought I should clarify that I know women wouldn't 'violate' me in the restroom. It's more the feeling of vulnerability I'm talking about.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Shang

As long as there are private stalls I really don't care.  Whenever I went to Ozzfest it was inevitable that guys would come into the girl's room due to the men's room being full and having a long line.  I didn't particularly care that men would go in there.  You have to go, you have to go. 

Just give me stalls and I'll be happy.
  •  

Kevin Peña

Quote from: Orihime on February 05, 2013, 02:31:23 PM
I used to say "Is it that hard to put the seat back up when you're done?"

I always ask, "Because you can't do it by yourself?" Seriously, don't operate under the assumption that the bathroom is prepped for you, ladies, because you might fall in!  :laugh:

Anywho, I would like gender-neutral bathrooms since it would mean that I don't have to find the "correct" bathroom in an emergency.  :P
  •  

Jamie D

I have amazing bladder control and avoid public restrooms at all costs.  One of the few advantages of male plumbing is the ability to walk behind a building to discreetly take a piss.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Jamie D

•  

Devlyn

•  

Sarah Louise

•  

Nero

Quote from: Pleasingly Plump Jamie D on February 07, 2013, 03:26:09 PM
You know, in a dark alley, back by the dumpster.

I do that all the time. Always have. I don't stand either. I just have no shame.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Jayr

Using a urinal while chicks are around would be too awkward for me.
Unlike men, chicks don't just walk in and out. They stay in, chit chat, put make up and etc.
Wouldn't want a group of them just standing there talking while I take a piss.
Sorry.

But I do think more places should have a gender neutral bathroom, the ones that are for one person only.
So the people that are uncomfortable using the other bathrooms can still go without having to worry about anything.

•