Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

A Few Questions On Abrahamic Religions And Transsexualism

Started by Anatta, March 28, 2013, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

What is Christianity's view on Transsexualism?

What is Judaism's  view on Transsexualism?

What is Islam's view on Transsexualism?

So if you are a follower of any of these religions, how do you personally see things regarding your congenital 'condition' and your religion/ faith?

I guess also, if you belong to a faith/spiritual belief system other than the above, what's their view ?

I listed the three main religions because I know there are many Christian and Jewish members of Susan's, but perhaps not so many Muslims ...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

ToriJo

I can't speak for anything but Christianity.

The two schools of thoughts there are:

1) You are what you were born as, based on sex organs and what the doctor thought you were.  Anything else is an insult to God and not recognizing who He created you to be.  Oh, and you're probably just gay, which is also evil.

2) God never said anything about chromosomes or what makes a man a man, or a woman a woman.  Don't worry about it.

Personally, I'm in the second camp.  I think it's dangerous to create religious rules that God didn't create.  If someone's a woman, that's fine with me and I think fine with God.  He did create her, after all (and not just her physical body!).
  •  

Sarah Louise

I personally trust in Jesus.  Jesus promised to forgive any and all sins (if you ask Him), forever.

Although I don't think this is a sin, I live what is in my mind and heart.  God made me who I am.

But, worst case, I trust in the forgiveness of Jesus.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Shodan

I'm an ex-Jew, although nothing like this ever really came up, but I can surmise that would be a LOT like what Slanan said about Christianity. Though, the more orthodox Jews also have this thing about not mutilating the body, which means no piercing the ears, or tattoos or anything, which would mean no GRS. Not sure where HRT falls into that, though, since medication has always been debatable.

Really, I think you're going to find is that it really comes down to the individual. If they're against it, they'll find something in their religion to support their beliefs, and vice versa.

•  

ZoeM

My take on it from a Christian perspective:
The Old Testament has some stuff to say - things like "don't cross dress." But the Old Testament has been largely superseded by the New, which mentions no such thing. Thus it's mostly safe to ignore.

The "God made us male and female" line obviously has a few flaws in it - particularly where the intersex are concerned - and cannot be used to disallow us. The point is "God made us", not "Male and female."

The final sticky issue is sexuality. YMMV, but to my mind both Testaments are quite clear about this - to wit, "No."
I intend to wait until I know which gender I am in God's eyes, and then either remain celibate or be hetero for that gender.
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Ms. OBrien CVT

As not only a Wiccan, but also Ojibwa, I believe as my people do.  People who are Transgender or Androgynous are people of two spirits.  And as such my people believe they are spiritual power and are revered as shamans.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Carrie Liz

There is also a verse in the New Testament that states the following: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free man, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." [Galatians 3:28] I take this to mean that God really doesn't care what gender you are.

In my case, the verse that really rung true for me personally was 2 Corinthians 12. In it, Paul talks about a "thorn in the flesh" that, although he prayed for God to take away from him, God would not, telling him "My grace is sufficient for you." So this, to me, is what my transsexualism is like. It is something that, no matter how much I prayed, no matter how much I wished I could be cured of, I couldn't be. But it's okay. God's grace is sufficient for me. What He cares about is not my gender identity, but my heart... loving Him with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and loving my neighbor as myself. And I truly believe that as long as I have mercy on others, and show unconditional love and forgiveness to them, that He will do the same for me.

That's my take on it. And yes, I am still a Christian, despite doing something that most Christians would consider to be an abomination. But honestly, to me, it feels like I'm embracing the way that God made me, and not fighting it anymore.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Shodan on March 29, 2013, 04:07:08 PM
I'm an ex-Jew, although nothing like this ever really came up, but I can surmise that would be a LOT like what Slanan said about Christianity. Though, the more orthodox Jews also have this thing about not mutilating the body, which means no piercing the ears, or tattoos or anything, which would mean no GRS. Not sure where HRT falls into that, though, since medication has always been debatable.

Really, I think you're going to find is that it really comes down to the individual. If they're against it, they'll find something in their religion to support their beliefs, and vice versa.

Kia Ora Shodan,

That's true...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

big kim

I am the way God made me,I will be judged by what I have done or not done not for being the person He made me.I have been told this I've also been told I am an abomination and going to hell.
  •  

zombieinc

QuoteAnd yes, I am still a Christian, despite doing something that most Christians would consider to be an abomination. But honestly, to me, it feels like I'm embracing the way that God made me, and not fighting it anymore.

Amen! That's pretty much how I feel these days.

I've heard the whole "God doesn't make mistakes" line of reasoning so many times at my church that I could scream. For real.

To many Christians, transgenderism is like this ultimate taboo. I had a close friend tell me that being transgender was like the worst thing, the biggest lie that Satan tells people. I don't believe this, not for a minute. I don't think that God cares that much, really. As long as you are living a loving life and if you are a Christian, following God with all of your heart and mind...you're good in God's eyes.
  •