Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is Life But A Dream ?

Started by Anatta, March 28, 2013, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora

"When we die, do we awake from the daydream that we call life, into true reality ?—or at least into a truer dream ?"

Are we just dreaming ?

Are you in my dream ?

Or am I in yours ?

Sweet dreams :icon_sleep:

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Maybe we are all just characters in someone's hologram program.

Let's see.

Computer, End Program.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Ms. OBrien CVT on March 28, 2013, 11:13:08 PM

Let's see.

Computer, End Program.

Kia Ora Ms O,

Is that like the Matrix...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

MadelineB

My friend, who is a butterfly, said she used to be a human being but then she learned active dreaming, and no longer has those nightmares.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kkut on March 28, 2013, 11:21:01 PM
Life certainly feels like an illusion in many ways. I believe we're all just instances of the same object, that crazy place we call the universe. I don't believe 'we' wake into true reality, but rather another existence in another place and time, maybe in this universe or maybe another. I liked the movie 'Cloud Atlas', it kind of reflects some of my beliefs on our existence.

Kia Ora Kkut,

It looks like a good 'karmic' movie

•  

AusBelle

The theory that we are all part of a computer simulation/someones dream has been going around since the days of the ancient philosophers.  Very interesting stuff.

Do others actually exist when we don't see them?

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

•  

Anatta

Quote from: kkut on March 28, 2013, 11:27:50 PM
I was looking at the woman in the red dress.  :embarrassed:
Kia Ora Kkut,

::) No...You were just dreaming ;) ;D

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Kuan Yin on March 28, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
Kia Ora

"When we die, do we awake from the daydream that we call life, into true reality ?—or at least into a truer dream ?"

Are we just dreaming ?

Are you in my dream ?

Or am I in yours ?

Sweet dreams :icon_sleep:

Cogito ergo sum - Decartes
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: AusBelle on March 28, 2013, 11:35:58 PM
The theory that we are all part of a computer simulation/someones dream has been going around since the days of the ancient philosophers.  Very interesting stuff.

Do others actually exist when we don't see them?

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

Kia Ora AusBelle,

Now that's interesting....

"Do others actually exist when we don't see them?"

Does anything exist when we are not consciously  looking at it ?

In other words, for something to exist there must be an observer ...

Quote from: Jamie D on March 28, 2013, 11:43:46 PM
Cogito ergo sum - Decartes

Kia Ora Jamie

But who or what is the 'I' that thinks ?

•  

Anatta

Quote from: MadelineB on March 28, 2013, 11:27:36 PM
My friend, who is a butterfly, said she used to be a human being but then she learned active dreaming, and no longer has those nightmares.

Kia Ora Madeline

I love Chuang Tzu's Taoist story of "The butterfly dream" http://www.taoism.net/living/2007/200703.htm

•  

Sara Thomas

I think that Life can, at times, simply be too mundane to be anything other than what it is.

If I were going to dream my life, I would leave out paying bills and pulling weeds.

I did once have an interesting thought (yeah - right...) after watching a program about quantum physics/string theory/alternate and/or parallel universes...

The program painted a picture in which every action has divergent results that split off into parallel realities... so, by this reckoning, each of us are paying the consequences, or reaping the rewards, for every choice we've ever made in a number of realities. So I got to thinking: Why can't I choose to always exist in the best possible reality? The one that some copy of me must be in, in which every thing always goes right.

Seems legit.

Anyway... I had meant to implement the thought as a means of self-actualization - but sometimes I get too busy, and forget to live the Perfect Life.   ;)
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually a giant, purple, tentacled monster who's been insane from birth and simply living in my own little world, when in actuality, I'm being strapped to one of those bed strapping things they use in hospitals while other big, purple and tentacled monsters poke and prod at my completely helpless body.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Kuan Yin on March 28, 2013, 11:50:45 PM
Kia Ora AusBelle,

Now that's interesting....

"Do others actually exist when we don't see them?"

Does anything exist when we are not consciously  looking at it ?

In other words, for something to exist there must be an observer ...

Kia Ora Jamie

But who or what is the 'I' that thinks ?

I read parts of this in college, some 35 years ago.  I had hoped never to see it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Philosophy-Rene-Descartes/dp/1169222560/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364610007&sr=1-1&keywords=principles+of+philosophy+descartes

In answer to the first statement, "Does anything exist when we are not consciously looking at it ?"

Beside the obvious flaw using "looking," rather than "sensing," you discount that the object in question may be self-aware, and hence, be it's own observer.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on March 29, 2013, 08:37:07 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually a giant, purple, tentacled monster who's been insane from birth and simply living in my own little world, when in actuality, I'm being strapped to one of those bed strapping things they use in hospitals while other big, purple and tentacled monsters poke and prod at my completely helpless body.

You are.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on March 29, 2013, 09:26:51 PM
I read parts of this in college, some 35 years ago.  I had hoped never to see it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Philosophy-Rene-Descartes/dp/1169222560/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364610007&sr=1-1&keywords=principles+of+philosophy+descartes

In answer to the first statement, "Does anything exist when we are not consciously looking at it ?"

Beside the obvious flaw using "looking," rather than "sensing," you discount that the object in question may be self-aware, and hence, be it's own observer.

Kia Ora Jamie,

True...

•  

spacial

If we consider that all experience is part of the fabric of natural existence.

That natural existence is part of a continually expanding material, endlessly created from the most essential fabric, which has always been.

That as the expansion continues, material will eventually break down into its sub parts and continue until there is only one part, the part which existed at the beginning of all time.

Then the universe will continue to exist in a perpetual, unchanging state, absolute zero, no movement, no activity. All energy gone. All potential expended.

It seems that we and us and all that there is or every was or every will be is actually part of one aspect. In the immensity of space time, a thought, a deed, a moment, is no more and no less than the point at which it all started or the universe in which it will all end.

We're not star dust really. We're not cosmic energy. We're all that there is and all that there ever will be.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: spacial on April 25, 2013, 04:13:13 AM
If we consider that all experience is part of the fabric of natural existence.

That natural existence is part of a continually expanding material, endlessly created from the most essential fabric, which has always been.

That as the expansion continues, material will eventually break down into its sub parts and continue until there is only one part, the part which existed at the beginning of all time.

Then the universe will continue to exist in a perpetual, unchanging state, absolute zero, no movement, no activity. All energy gone. All potential expended.

It seems that we and us and all that there is or every was or every will be is actually part of one aspect. In the immensity of space time, a thought, a deed, a moment, is no more and no less than the point at which it all started or the universe in which it will all end.

We're not star dust really. We're not cosmic energy. We're all that there is and all that there ever will be.

Kia Ora,

You're dreaming again Jill  ;) ;D

"May I clearly perceive all experiences to be as insubstantial as the dream fabric of the night and instantly awaken to perceive the pure wisdom display in the arising of every phenomenon !"   

•  

Sandra M. Lopes

Life is as a dream, it's not a dream.

The major difference is that there are no other minds in your dream except your own mind :)

The expression "life is as a dream" is a bit misleading, because it tends to be misinterpreted as meaning "nothing is real, everything is illusion" (which is actually defended by some Hindu schools). This, however, is not completely correct: there is a conventional reality to life — we can all agree, for instance, that certain experiences and phenomena are common to all of us, and, therefore, we cannot reject their existence.

For example, we all agree that the sun shines during the day. What is different for everybody is how the experience of the sun affects each of us. Some might love the heat of the sun, others might feel the heat oppressive and hate the sun, most will be indifferent. So the sun, by itself, definitely exists, but its perception differs with the observer, and is definitely not the same for each person.

Similarly, what happens in our lives can be experienced in completely different ways, but it's foolish to reject those experiences as "illusions" or "dreams". For example, if we win the lottery, everybody around us might feel jealous (some will be happy, though!) and think that nothing could be better. But for us winners, it means that now we have an additional problem to deal with: how to protect the money, how to protect ourselves from hordes of "friends" who suddenly want to borrow some money or expect lavish gifts. So we cannot say that the event of winning the lottery didn't happen except in our minds — it definitely happened! — but the way we experience it depends upon our individual minds.

So why is "life like a dream"? Well, a dream is only experienced by the dreamer. What that means is that the experience of a dream is individual and unique, and while it can be described in detail to another person, it cannot be "shared", in the sense that the description, by itself, is not enough to evoke the same dream on the other person. Now this seems obvious — the best that the other person can do is to imagine the dream, based on its description, but they cannot experience the same dream. It will be a different dream! Even if the description could be accurate to the most infinitesimal detail, it would still be filtered by the perceptions of the listener, who would construct a slightly different mental image of that dream. No matter how much detail we put in the description, there is no way to replicate the experience absolutely.

But the same happens to each and every experience in our lives! For example, imagine that I love women and watch a gorgeous blonde walking across the street. This evokes in me a certain image, tinted by my biased opinion about what a beautiful woman should look like. If I describe that blonde to a female, cisgendered, heterosexual friend, then she will create a completely different image in her mind. Why? Because my attraction to that blonde has a lot of feelings and concepts about those feelings attached to the blonde, while my heterosexual girlfriend will have different feelings and concepts. So the mental image she creates from the same person will be different — it cannot be otherwise, since we are different persons. To put it bluntly: we create mental images of all that surrounds us and all that happens in our life, and, while that sequence of events that we call "life" is experienced by different people (not just myself!), their experience is totally different. Just like a dream, we cannot convey fully our experience of events happening in our life to other people: they will filter those events according to their own filters, perceptions, and ideas, just like they do with their dreams.

This is a bit more complex than it sounds, but I think that it's rather easy to see how different people view their lives (and all that happens in their lives) differently, because, well, they have different minds. So it's not like "life" is merely a collective hallucination and there is "nothing" out there. Rather, we know that there is "something" outside our minds because we can register how others react to the same events, so we know those events are real and existent. Nevertheless, we also know that every person sees each event in a slightly different way — or sometimes in a completely opposite way.

Life is definitely much more than merely a dream, but it shares the same attribute as the dream: the intangibility of the experience, which cannot be expressed in words, and which will be different from person to person.
Don't judge, and you won't be judged.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Ms. OBrien CVT on March 28, 2013, 11:13:08 PM

Let's see.

Computer, End Program.

I don't think the holodeck safety functions are operational.  I cut my finger last week.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

MadelineB

Life, like dreams, is always personal and subjective. What I live. What I dream.
I chose to share my life and my dreams with people who might not find mine too boring, and who will refrain from trying to analyze the heck out of it.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •