Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Critical Thinking : The Mind Trap Of Anxiety...

Started by Anatta, April 07, 2013, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Anxiety seems to be the unwelcome bedfellow of most trans-people....

The self generating mind trap of anxiety :

"I'm worried and I ought not to worry! But because I can't stop worrying, I am worried 'because' I worry !"

Does this ring a bell ?

Can you see the cycle ?

Have you been caught in the 'anxiety' mind trap of your own making ?

"Some people drain into their bodies the diseased thoughts of their minds !"

If one can step outside the square[or cycle in this case] and become the observer, they have the opportunity to see things as they really are and break the habit/cycle...

Food for 'critical' thought [Unless that is, you are too busy worrying about worrying to find the time to stop worrying !]

You don't have to respond to this post, it's just food for thought...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Adam (birkin)

I have always had very anxious tendencies, even when I was younger. I have learned how to manage it somewhat better for the sake of my sanity and comfort, but it still rears its ugly head in myriad ways. For example, sometimes I overthink things way too much and it makes simple tasks very difficult, like when I was first starting to build my PC. Or I ask questions of others that seem very abnormal and unusual, and they often laugh at me because they don't understand why I'd concern myself with a little, and sometimes irrelevant, detail. It sucks, and of course, as in your original post, I worry about the worrying which makes me worry more.

I have two main defenses against the cycle...I have one friend who is pretty much the opposite of me, she says nothing ever keeps her up at night and her life is very straightforward. And if she catches me being unnecessarily anxious she manages to help me figure out which worries are just silly, and which worries may have some validity. And the other thing I do is, go against my impulse. So say, sometimes I feel a lot of anxiety about my bedroom being messy or my bathroom, because I worry it's going to mold overnight, lol. So I consider cleaning it every day, or after every usage (which for my shower, is twice a day, and the sink, numerous times). I tell myself not to and force myself to stick to my one cleaning per week schedule, no matter how worried I am about mold spreading.

Or if I'm socially anxious, the more scared I am, the more important I know it is for me to go do that thing, see that person, or be in that place. My impulse tells me to hide, so I act against it. Between the things I do and the help of a very understanding friend, I manage to do not so bad anymore.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Caleb. on April 07, 2013, 05:42:26 PM

Or if I'm socially anxious, the more scared I am, the more important I know it is for me to go do that thing, see that person, or be in that place. My impulse tells me to hide, so I act against it. Between the things I do and the help of a very understanding friend, I manage to do not so bad anymore.

Kia Ora Caleb,

That's great news, it would seem you have a true friend who can help you to think things through in a logical manner...

Plus it sounds like you have learnt the art of "Feeling the Fear and doing it anyway !"

The French philosopher  Montaigne sums it up quite well "Those who fear they shall suffer, already suffer what they fear !"

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Blaine

I used to make myself sick with nerves in middle school (teachers used to joke I'd have an ulcer before I started college). I started throwing myself into schoolwork, writing, and video games to avoid thinking about it and dealing with it, but I eventually saw that the extent of my avoidance was still really unhealthy. Since the bullying is over and I've slowly come to terms with being trans and being me, I've mellowed out a lot more. I compartmentalize and analyze everything instead of just letting it turn me into a screeching, sweating mess. Needless to say, I'm much happier now.
I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In [my head!] Azkaban!
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Padfoot92 on April 08, 2013, 11:46:44 PM
I used to make myself sick with nerves in middle school (teachers used to joke I'd have an ulcer before I started college). I started throwing myself into schoolwork, writing, and video games to avoid thinking about it and dealing with it, but I eventually saw that the extent of my avoidance was still really unhealthy. Since the bullying is over and I've slowly come to terms with being trans and being me, I've mellowed out a lot more. I compartmentalize and analyze everything instead of just letting it turn me into a screeching, sweating mess. Needless to say, I'm much happier now.

Kia Ora Padfoot,

Good one...

•