Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

XXY, any here and what of it ?

Started by Anindya, April 24, 2013, 07:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KelsieJ

The whole KF/XXY discussion is tricky. The science behind Klinefelter's study was sound, but his methodology was not. XXY is not a syndrome or a malady, but a genetic variation. Not all people with XXY present with the physical differences that Klinefelter noted in his study, and critically, not all XXY people appear more male.

http://www.annclinlabsci.org/content/40/3/295.full

I won't talk about the full extent of how I presented at birth, however, there is a similar case though not exactly the same, at

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00220456#page-1

When I was younger I was prescribed testosterone but it wasn't until many years after I stopped taking the testosterone shots that I found out the truth. I had developed brittle bones which easily broke, and a weird seemingly auto-immune thyroid problem. Only then, after breaking a bone and suffering inexplicable weight gain, did I find out that I wasn't given testosterone because I was "too small" as a child and needed it to help me grow, and later because I had low testosterone, I was actually given it to make me look as masculine as I could because of my genetic variation. (No intersex condition should be called a syndrome or disorder).

So there are definite health risks associated with having a birth variation, and you will need some kind of medication. The best part is that as far as your body is concerned, it will work equally well on estrogen as testosterone, so even if transitioning is not your goal, you can safely take a small dose of estrogen and this will help your bone density and any thyroid issue that you have from anti-thyroid hormones caused by low t or e levels. Most others out there take t but e is a safer option, and won't make your hair fall out from male pattern baldness, or give you 'roid rage', etc. It won't feminize you unless you want it to and take sufficient dose to do so, so it won't change your appearance if you don't want it to.

Even before deciding to go 'all the way' and become the woman I was born to be, I chose estrogen and it worked wonderfully. In fact, it's starting to catch on, and the internet has many examples of people who don't want to feminize but are taking estradiol for XXY related health complaints, such as

http://onnineko.blogspot.com/2010/05/xxy-personal-experience-using-estradiol.html

HTH
Kelsie
Be the change you want to be :)
  •  

Jamie D

•  

echidna

Quote from: Anindya on April 25, 2013, 08:29:05 AM
Tall, well six foot  and 160 pounds in weight and undeveloped, some of the stuff that was supposed to happen in puberty didn't- chest didn't expand out, so an adolescent look, but long thin arms and no muscle development. I am 44 now and still people younger than me talk down to me as they think I am younger than they, where most believe me to be in my mid to late twenties or at worst early thirties but no way anywhere near my true age.

But this trans stuff, it is constantly in my mind but it's not that I wish to live as a woman because the way I do live is already a bit of both where I do many feminine things regards body care and various other what is usually thought of as feminine activities where some things more now than in the past because well I know what I am at last as it was only in the last few years I had the karyotype and so I am allowing my natural self at last as what I felt compelled to do was not deviant at all, it was just me. But one thing is in my mind of the trans stuff is for some obscure reason I desire breasts, not hefty ones but more the smaller size as I see the growing of those to make me physically what I feel to be as well, what I guess to be as is in between male and female, where I am passive to both genders, I desire to help others as it seems it is my worth.

But I do have some learning difficulties, physically, what I call directionally stupid-dyspraxia, some attention deficit and  some communicational difficulties where asperger's syndrome has been diagnosed in the past, but I know it is not AS, it is just something that sometimes comes with that extra x. But my IQ has been measured at 139 and my EQ as above average.

But @ Joanna Dark and others, communication is good, people write on topic or off because they feel the need to say and so I say, feel free to say, you are welcome as ar as I am concerned.

Hi All,

Interested reading the above quote. I feel many of the same things. As part of determining my ability to have children this year, I found the answer to strongly no, and then "oh by the way, your XXY"
So as per the poster above, suddenly I made sense, my feelings and approaches to life. Do I feel like a man or a woman, well no neither really, something in between yes.
I go through stages of wanting to feel more female. In the past I bought female clothes, feeling terribly embarrassed about it, saying that they are a gift for.... any way, ebay has changed that. The need is there for a while then passes.
For some reason I also crave breasts, not sure why either, always imagined having a c cup, and I am not sure why that size either, just seems right.

When my results came in with the gene test, my testosterone was 3, when the healthy range is 8 to 32. In the last 12 months I have suffered depression, spontaneous crying. Now I am on my second shot of Testosterone, which has made some difference, psychologically some balance, but I think I liked it better when I didn't get stubble on face every day.

In all this, I am not sure that my wife really understands me. When we met she thought that I was Gay, tall good skin, young looking. Not the case. However, I am not the real man that she was expecting either. Mainly I want her to love me, for me, plain and simple.

Good evening to all.
  •  

Jill F

I refused to be tested for XXY when it was suggested to me.   Maybe I am, but knowing why I am transgender is absolutely irrelevant to me.  It would change nothing.  That's what I am, always was and will always be.  I know now I basically have a woman's brain, and I am making the necessary adjustments.  I'd rather spend the karyotype testing money on electrolysis or cute boots right now anyway.

But that's just me.
  •  

echidna

Following on from Jill's remarks about the cost of Karotype testing, I would like to comment that at least in Scotland, this is covered by the NHS, so there are no out of pocket expenses.

•  

Sir Wafflinton

I just spent 8 months getting a court order so I could access testosterone therapy as someone who is FtM and not yet 18. I was hoping I would test as intersex because that would mean I didn't need a court order, but I knew it was unlikely. I knew about the "normalisation" of intersex infants but I never thought that 2 rooms away in the same hospital ward from where they were telling me how awful it would be if I got this decision wrong they could be pumping some XXY 14 year old full of testosterone when they aren't even sure of who they are, and when nobody has bothered asking them whether they even identify as a boy/man.

•  

Sir Wafflinton

BTW, I did have a long impassioned response, but I dropped my mouse whist trying to do the verification section and it exited the page >:(

I guess the universe is trying to teach me the skill of brevity...

•  

emilyking

I need to be tested, but I'm certain I have xxy.
I'm 5.6, was overweight in high school, to the point I had stretch marks on my tummy.  I definitely have more female elbows.  I had some breast growth in middle school.
In the last nine months I've been on estrogen, my fat had not changed at all.

I was had some dyspepsia as a kid.  I use to tuck my thing between my legs when going to the bath room.  I also would tuck in the shower.  I never understood why I did what I did.  I learned about transsexuals when I was 14.  I ended up hiding it until last year.
  •