Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transporter, fact, fiction, or "I'm not getting in that thing!"

Started by Tracey, April 25, 2013, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Can they make a transporter, or teleportation device? Would you try it?
  •  

ZoeM

Sure. But it would just do an atom-by-atom 3D printing of your body, probably using the material from said body for fuel.

I wouldn't touch it.
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Of course they are real.  We have then in the 24th century.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Too late Devlyn.  We have your coordinates and are tracking you.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

XchristineX

I will do it!!!
As long as I can make some minor adjustments for the rebuild:-P
  •  

Anna++

What if there is a transporter accident and I get sent to a mirror universe where I'm evil and have a goatee??
Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

V M

Quote from: Anna Michele on April 25, 2013, 06:22:31 PM
What if there is a transporter accident and I get sent to a mirror universe where I'm evil and have a goatee??

Then you would probably be one of my neighbors, the one who I have nicknamed Bluto 
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

cisdad

Lawrence Krauss has a nice book out, called The Science of Star Trek.  He talks about the hows and whys of the likeliehoods of various technologies in the show.  Warp Druve fared relatively well.  Most fantastically unlikely, the transporter.
  •  

spacial

I recall an article where an author postulates on a principal of time manipulation.

The principal is that time is a variable and and aspect of gravity. If we assume that manipulation of gravity is possible, then it should equally be possible to manipulate time.

However, if an object were to be placed within a field of minimal time then with the continuing expansion of the universe or simply the rotation of the galaxy, then the object should not actually alter its position within space, space-time not being relevant since time, in this context will be almost zero. So the object would vanish from its existing point an reappear in another.

Equally, if time were to be increased within the field then the object should be able to move in the opposite direction.

But, the passage of time, for the observer, will be continuous and unchanged, so the object will actually seem to transport.

The missing bit here is manipulation of gravity, within a field. 

I believe is one of the objectives of CERN is manipulation of gravity. If CERN is successful then much would depend upon the nature of gravity. How it would be manipulated. The transportation postulate seems to depand upon an containment of manipulated gravity, held within a field.

Needless to say, I won't be waiting with any bated expectations.
  •  

Renee

Well, if they do eventually make one, just be sure there are no flies or other critters around you when you zap yourself elsewhere. Just ask Brundle.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 25, 2013, 05:40:43 PM
Can they make a transporter, or teleportation device? Would you try it?

Kia Ora Devlyn,

The first thing that came to mind when reading this was the movie "The Fly"

::) Astral travel's a better and much safer way to go  ;) ;D

Plus... What if there was a power shortage, you know a power blackout and the machine stops part way through-leaving your body particles suspended in space and time ? ;)

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

peky

Quote from: spacial on April 26, 2013, 02:28:01 PM
I recall an article where an author postulates on a principal of time manipulation.

The principal is that time is a variable and and aspect of gravity. If we assume that manipulation of gravity is possible, then it should equally be possible to manipulate time.

However, if an object were to be placed within a field of minimal time then with the continuing expansion of the universe or simply the rotation of the galaxy, then the object should not actually alter its position within space, space-time not being relevant since time, in this context will be almost zero. So the object would vanish from its existing point an reappear in another.

Equally, if time were to be increased within the field then the object should be able to move in the opposite direction.

But, the passage of time, for the observer, will be continuous and unchanged, so the object will actually seem to transport.

The missing bit here is manipulation of gravity, within a field. 

I believe is one of the objectives of CERN is manipulation of gravity. If CERN is successful then much would depend upon the nature of gravity. How it would be manipulated. The transportation postulate seems to depand upon an containment of manipulated gravity, held within a field.

Needless to say, I won't be waiting with any bated expectations.

The recent confirmation of the existance of Higgs bosom confirms the theory that the universe has 12 dimensions, and more important it ties gravity to the other forces in universe.

Interesting times ahed..."if you could imagine it, then it would be built"
  •  

Joanna Dark

I don't believe time can be manipulated because time doesn't really exist but as a way to gauge our time in the universe. It's a fact that all objects viewed from earth have a red shift, except for the Andromeda Galaxy which will soon crash into the Milky Way. But all other objects do. And the farther out you look, the more intense the red shift. Red shift means objects are moving away. This is because time is moving forward and never backward. You could in theory "travel thru time" but all you are really doing is slowing your ability to perceive it. LSD also achieves this result.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Anyone heard of "Project Pegasus"

Believe it....Or...Not !

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

I've just finished listening to this youtube radio interview with Attorney[and *author*=books don't sell themselves] Andrew D. Basiago  on "Project Pegasus"...

::) I have an open mind, but not so 'open' that my brains fall out  ;)

Which reminds me, you know when small children experience a dramatic event, and the mind goes into a protective mode where fantasy takes the place of reality ...Well I afraid this is how I view Mr A.D.Basiago's account of his 'teleportation' events...

Or he could just have a 'very' vivid creative imagination or perhaps both...

•  

Renee

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Renee on April 27, 2013, 07:08:18 PM
Even in fiction, they aren't always 100% reliable.

Kia Ora Renee,

I haven't watch many Star trek shows but I'm sure I saw one where there was a mishap  where two crew members[a male and female] personalities were swapped=mentally she was he and he was she...

•  

Anna++

Quote from: Joanna Dark on April 27, 2013, 04:01:14 PM
You could in theory "travel thru time" but all you are really doing is slowing your ability to perceive it. LSD also achieves this result.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm traveling through time at a rate of 1 second / second :P
Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

ThetisnFurter

Time travel is a fiction for sure. Yet transporting is something achievable (Maybe %0,000000040009490400000000000000093200000000000000000000000000000000000023).
It's not easy having a good time, even smiling makes my face ache!  :icon_ashamed:
  •