Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Trans-woman hopes to go to Mars

Started by Anatta, May 15, 2013, 02:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacial

Understood. Thank you for your honesty. I do so wish you well and success.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: melissaede on May 18, 2013, 09:40:39 AM
I don't see it as dying I see it as living forever. 

Kia Ora Melissa,

It would certainly be that ! You would definitely go down in history...

Good luck ...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

melissaede

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Kuan Yin on May 15, 2013, 03:52:53 AM
Kia Ora Stella,

It's quite possible this was her descriptive choice[how she saw/described herself] and the reporters just followed suit, and to give them credit they did use the 'correct' pronouns throughout the article...

I doubt the reporter/interviewer used the term 'transgender' without her permission...

I'm more interested in why she would want to leave planet earth for the red planet...

I think the young American girl makes an interesting point about the psychological effects upon a person when it sinks in that they can never return to earth...

You know, Zenda, our forefathers and foremothers likely made similar decisions to leave their homes and families behind, to immigrate to new lands and frontiers, with little prospect of returning home.

In some ways, the urge to explore, see and learn about new places and people and things, is one of the more interesting aspects of the human species.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: melissaede on May 18, 2013, 09:40:39 AM
I don't see it as dying I see it as living forever.  The preparation is done by mars one.  And if I'm not strong enough I don't go. But in my word's I will give it every thing I have

Melissa, I both admire and envy your spirit!  Best of luck to you.
  •  

melissaede

Again thank you. I am on a journey to promote diversity which will also take me to mars. However far this journey takes me is out of my hands. But representing the LGBT community I promise to do my very best x
  •  

Jayne

If I didn't have my health issues then i'd jump at the chance to go to Mars, I wouldn't care about it being one way.
If you think Neil Armstrongs name is a seriously big note in history books then imagine the impact of being the first person to set foot on Mars or make it to the summit of Olympus Mons!
Just think of every step you take being the first step on that soil & every view being the first time seen by human eyes. I could happily spend the rest of my days exploring the red planet in search of evidence of past life.

If someone told me that they could make me the first human being in recorded history to set foot on Mars but i'd only live for 24hrs once I stepped onto the surface then i'd do it.

I've always had this idea that human life evolved on Mars but as the planet cooled & died we moved to Earth after the dinosaurs were killed off by the meteor we sent crashing into Earth, once the dust had settled we made the exodus, our technology was biological & was killed off by Earths bacteria & over the eons it rotted away (hence no archeological evidence), without our technology we fell into barbarism & still haven't dragged ourselves to our old level of technology & spirituality.
I know you may all think i'm mad but just try to prove my theory wrong  ;)
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on May 21, 2013, 04:19:43 AM
You know, Zenda, our forefathers and foremothers likely made similar decisions to leave their homes and families behind, to immigrate to new lands and frontiers, with little prospect of returning home.

In some ways, the urge to explore, see and learn about new places and people and things, is one of the more interesting aspects of the human species.

Kia Ora Jamie,

That's true to some extent, but if we take the MayFlower's maiden voyage, there were quite a few who travelled with their families...So they were venturing into the unknown but with their loved ones in tow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mayflower_passengers

I think what the American girl was saying, is for many people, at first all thoughts are about the adventure, but when reality hits home 'when it comes to the crunch' attachment to the familiar starts to kick, the what ifs arise and starts to swamp the more adventurous thoughts...In other words those dreaded "second thoughts" kick in, not unlike the transition process many trans-people go through...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

spacial

The difference between the Mayflower and this is those on the Mayflower expected to live and thrive.

On Mars, people will suffocate.

Bust as melissaede says, it's living forever.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: Jayne on May 21, 2013, 02:04:32 PM
If I didn't have my health issues then i'd jump at the chance to go to Mars, I wouldn't care about it being one way.
If you think Neil Armstrongs name is a seriously big note in history books then imagine the impact of being the first person to set foot on Mars or make it to the summit of Olympus Mons!
Just think of every step you take being the first step on that soil & every view being the first time seen by human eyes. I could happily spend the rest of my days exploring the red planet in search of evidence of past life.

If someone told me that they could make me the first human being in recorded history to set foot on Mars but i'd only live for 24hrs once I stepped onto the surface then i'd do it.

I've always had this idea that human life evolved on Mars but as the planet cooled & died we moved to Earth after the dinosaurs were killed off by the meteor we sent crashing into Earth, once the dust had settled we made the exodus, our technology was biological & was killed off by Earths bacteria & over the eons it rotted away (hence no archeological evidence), without our technology we fell into barbarism & still haven't dragged ourselves to our old level of technology & spirituality.
I know you may all think i'm mad but just try to prove my theory wrong  ;)

My strong suit is in the social sciences, but I've heard that panspermia is still a viable theory regarding the origin of life on Earth.  There are scientists who believe life here could have originated from Mars.  Still, even if that were correct, the time frame that panspermia would have had to occur would be very different than what you suggested.  Okay, there's my attempt to prove you wrong :)  Personally, I believe abiogenesis is likely the answer to life's origin.

I think it would be a bad idea to choose anyone who requires routine usage of medication for space travel.  It will take 3 years to travel one way to Mars.  Many things can go wrong in that amount of time.  It's best to prepare the best scenario and reduce any potential failures to the mission.  I hate to discriminate against one of my own kind, but we have to realize the costs involved that could impact her health and the overall success of the project.
  •  

vegie271

I have problems even beyond HRT but if I did not have them I would jump at this. I have always wanted to explore space or anything beyond this planet. Mars would be fantastic. The problem of not coming back is infinitesimal.

My only teeny problem was the no shower policy.  :P

The idea of advancing science though really fascinates me. I guess I just have to stay here and work Earth bound.

•  

peky

Quote from: Kuan Yin on May 15, 2013, 02:49:46 AM
Kia Ora,

We discussed that question with Melissa Ede, who describes herself as a transgender woman, and has signed up as a contender to be selected for the Mars One mission - "failure isn't in my vocabulary", she told us before the webcast.

For her, it was about excitement and the need to explore. "How do we know it's not possible?" she asked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22360228

Would you want a "One Way" ticket to Mars ?

I guess she thinks that she has an "ass out of this world"
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

This is ground control to Major Tom "A space Oddity"

•