Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

$25,000 Reward Offered for Group That Attacked Transgender Woman

Started by Natasha, June 20, 2013, 01:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joelene9

Good news there.  As with some of the comments above, she does not deserve that kind of liquor fueled treatment from the 4 fellows whether she is a hooker or a late night worker as she is.  This is a problem everywhere, including the women who serve in our military. 

Joelene
  •  

Imreallyconfused

Quote from: Beth Andrea on June 23, 2013, 07:34:20 PM
Assuming the bars close at 0200, walking home at 0215 is quite possible. However, I don't accept the idea that "after 0200 the streets belong to the criminals." The bad guys were at the wrong place, at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing.

Having said that, of course there are somethings she could've done to make it safer...call a cab for one. Go home earlier, go out with friends, or some other plan. But let's not blame her for what happened.

Remember also if she was at a bar, bar clocks are timed different than normal to ensure the bar closes as the specified time by state law. Some bars have their clock turned ahead 15-30 minutes faster than regular clocks. Therefore the timing would be just right for leaving a bar.
  •  

Eva Marie

Quote from: Mellysia (Melly) on June 29, 2013, 08:11:03 PM
Remember also if she was at a bar, bar clocks are timed different than normal to ensure the bar closes as the specified time by state law. Some bars have their clock turned ahead 15-30 minutes faster than regular clocks. Therefore the timing would be just right for leaving a bar.

The link that was posted said that she was a barista at a local bar/restaurant and had just gotten off of work.
  •  

Renee Amanda

Quote from: Jamie D on June 20, 2013, 01:41:22 AM
Thugs.  What is worse, no one tried to intervene.

Are you REALLY surprised, though, Jamie? People seem to hate us T's. I hate to say it, but... It seems we're the new black people in society's eyes. We WON'T be accepted until we march for our rights, and get a famous celebrity who's a T. I hate to say it, but it seems it's true. We are HATED. But, listen, T-boys and T-girls, as long as we're united AGAINST such a-holes, we shall overcome all that is in our way.
  •  

Beth Andrea

The scary thing is, I think it's rare for anyone to intervene. People in society have been conditioned to not do anything until they get permission, and/or have the attitude, "Well, that's what cops get paid to do."

That's why we as individuals have to take measures to protect ourselves...the State and the population won't do it for us. (General advice to everyone, not just TG people)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Renee Amanda on June 29, 2013, 10:18:33 PM
Are you REALLY surprised, though, Jamie? People seem to hate us T's. I hate to say it, but... It seems we're the new black people in society's eyes. We WON'T be accepted until we march for our rights, and get a famous celebrity who's a T. I hate to say it, but it seems it's true. We are HATED. But, listen, T-boys and T-girls, as long as we're united AGAINST such a-holes, we shall overcome all that is in our way.

Actually I am surprised.  I have lived most of my life in southern California.  The Hollywood and West Hollywood areas are very GLBT friendly.  This lack of assistance was not a trans thing.  It was an inhumane thing.  Society is becoming increasingly coarse and uncaring.
  •  

Imreallyconfused

Quote from: Jamie D on June 30, 2013, 04:40:59 AM
Actually I am surprised.  I have lived most of my life in southern California.  The Hollywood and West Hollywood areas are very GLBT friendly.  This lack of assistance was not a trans thing.  It was an inhumane thing.  Society is becoming increasingly coarse and uncaring.

Well remember California as a whole is probably the best place to be if your gay, trans, anything. Go anywhere else and it's a whole lot different. If you are honestly surprised at this, then take a look outside the comfy box of Cali and observe the rest of the 49 states. Come to CT and it's extremely unfriendly. Society has been this way for a long time. It's not just now getting coarse and uncaring. Reality as a whole isn't just getting to be this way.

Not trying to be a bit snappy, but that made my eyes get wide.
  •