Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Electronics, programming

Started by Sarah84, June 20, 2013, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah84

Quote from: Kiera on June 21, 2013, 07:03:11 AM
LOL isn't "1+1 == 01" ?? Is my brain fried . . . Do you write like I-Phone Ap:-) ps?

What language(s) you 'guys' use?? Web based interpreted php was very similar to "C", easy adaptation over, "micro controllers" by definition are very manufacturer, chip-dependent does anyone do "assembly" anymore ??

Susan's, like most, is written in php using a MySQL database ( real-time, like awful Basic never learned, "debug" suggests interpreted, load on stack using 'hook's, no compile anymore? )

Most of my programming is in C. I stopped using assembly since I doesn' t like to study new intruction sets every  time when I need to switch between different arcitectures. I do some work in C# and Java but not much. But for me the most interesting experience is VHDL coding of FPGA devices, but it is very  specific.

real-time, like awful Basic never learned, "debug" suggests interpreted, load on stack using 'hook's, no compile anymore? )
I was referring to in circuit real time debugging. It is tool connected to micro and tracing instruction flow. And can memdump and add breaks, all is hw related and uses some structures in processor. It doesn't add any sw overhead nor slow down.

A note about binary addition problem
1 + 1 = 10
ie. 4bit register architecture with LSB on the most "right side". Leding zeros added
0001 + 0001 = 0010
This is common arrangement in many architectures including x86 I guess.

But maybe there are different archs that work with a reversed bit order, but one way or another it is only interpretation problem... so both answers are correct.
My real name is Monika :)
HRT: 11.11.2014
SRS: 5.11.2015 with Chettawut
  •  

Jamie D

Okay, I'm going to demonstrate my advanced age.

I still own my slide rules.

My first electronic calculator was the "Bomar Brain."

In college I learned FORTRAN IV.  The university had a PDP-10.  We programmed on punchcards.

My first professional experience in computing was with the Multics operating system, on a Honeywell mainframe, connected to other sites through the ARPAnet.   We connected through a Vadic 1200 baud telephone modem.  The printers were IBM "Diablo" line printers.

I still own my HP-29C, though it hasn't worked in decades.
  •  

Sarah84

Quote from: Jamie D on June 22, 2013, 02:36:36 AM
Okay, I'm going to demonstrate my advanced age.

I still own my slide rules.

My first electronic calculator was the "Bomar Brain."

In college I learned FORTRAN IV.  The university had a PDP-10.  We programmed on punchcards.

My first professional experience in computing was with the Multics operating system, on a Honeywell mainframe, connected to other sites through the ARPAnet.   We connected through a Vadic 1200 baud telephone modem.  The printers were IBM "Diablo" line printers.

I still own my HP-29C, though it hasn't worked in decades.

Wow, mainframe times...! My grandfather was working at statistical office as engineer doing maintanance of mainframes, it was Control Data Cyber and later some IBM(I forgot the type). He took me few times in the computer room. I was maybe 9 years old, doesn't know much about computers but the experience was impressive. As the machines were very big and full of mechanical parts and electronical PCBs, that could be servicable, the technicians really needed to know a lot. I guess that this experience started my interests into computers :).

My first PC computer was IBM Personal System 2. It was used as a terminal for that IBM mainframe, I got it from grandfather, when they ended operation of the with the IBM mainframe. I still have it, I think it is fully functinal.
  •  

Jamie D

•  

Sarah84

Quote from: Jamie D on June 23, 2013, 10:45:34 PM
Your grandfather?   :'(

That's because he was working till his 71 :).   Don't be worried,  it shouldn't have any dual meaning.
  •  

Joelene9

I did electronics repair and testing all of my adult life from the military aircraft radar to the cell phones.  My area of expertise is in the RF and analog circuits.  I done everything from those console antique radios with the large octal based vacuum tubes in which you can physically fit a modern smartphone into to the surface mount components in the cell phones and the other latter models of communication and consumer gear.  My military experience had me working on a radar system that went from pinkie sized peanut tubes with germanium transistors to the integrated circuits with the first microprocessors available in the circuit. 

I did do some pc board making from drawing the resist runs on the copper clad board to doing a CAD program that printed out a template for photo resist boards for my own use.  I design my own circuits.  I made everything from a model rocket transmitter beacon in my spare time in the Navy using good parts they threw out due to time constraints to an accurate frequency counter made from discreet parts that is still working since 1978.  I did do some Heathkit stuff, including the 25" color TV which was the first to have electronic tuning in it.  That was the TV mentioned in previous posts I sent to the recyclers and didn't replace when I could not find the parts for.  That thing lasted 30 years. 

My latter designs contain both through hole and surface mount components.  The major IC components were and are still mounted in sockets to ease replacement of those.  I lost a CMOS version of a 555 timer out in the field in my telescope drive electronics earlier this month due to static zapping during a wind storm.  The first time that has happened in one of my circuits.  That upgraded drive electronics is 20 years old. 

My YouTube video of a super-8 film of the model rocket with a picture and text on the transmitter beacon mentioned that I done in 1973:

Joelene
  •  

Emily Aster

Quote from: Sarah84 on June 22, 2013, 12:49:00 AM
A note about binary addition problem
1 + 1 = 10
ie. 4bit register architecture with LSB on the most "right side". Leding zeros added
0001 + 0001 = 0010
This is common arrangement in many architectures including x86 I guess.

If I remember correctly, the 62k architecture (mac) does it "backwards". Been almost 20 years since I've played with it though, so I could be wrong.
  •  

Mollie

I was an electronics engineer ( fighter aircraft navigation) and I am also left handed. Research indicates that a significantly disproportionate percentage of transsexuals are left handed electronic engineers / programmers.

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Put me under a microscope what would you see?
A question where a kiss should be.
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: Jamie D on June 22, 2013, 02:36:36 AM

Yuk! Musta been from the Math dept!!! I was doing structured Cobal (business) on a DEC-20 and we had (woohoo) "line editors" !For Turbo Pascal we had . . . was it the Apple IIe ?
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Anna++

Quote from: sentience on June 24, 2013, 08:35:35 AM
I was an electronics engineer ( fighter aircraft navigation) and I am also left handed. Research indicates that a significantly disproportionate percentage of transsexuals are left handed electronic engineers / programmers.

*raises hand*  Me!  Me!  I'm a lefty, transwoman programmer!

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

And I have this on a t-shirt!
Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

Mollie

^ Yeh, we can high five each other without missing!
  •  

Northern Jane

OH NO! Another left-hander here LOL!
  •  

CalmRage

•  

ZoeM

Quote from: Northern Jane on June 24, 2013, 02:14:33 PM

Darn - guess I'm out of the club. :/

Oh, well - hugs don't have handedness, anyway.
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Mollie

'''or perhaps you are left handed and you have been suppressing it. ;)
  •  

ZoeM

Quote from: sentience on June 24, 2013, 02:52:11 PM
'''or perhaps you are left handed and you have been suppressing it. ;)
Doesn't look that way?? Suqs ur?

;P
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Joelene9

I did binary equations while designing stuff using the available 4 bit counters.  I've used the 7400 and 4000 series logic gates in my designs along with the analog LM-series.  I was taught Boolean algebra both in high school and in the Navy.  Nine's complement, gray code and some of the other stuff I learned.  Gray codes are still used in some of the mechanical encoders.

Joelene
  •  

Sarah84

Quote from: Joelene9 on June 24, 2013, 04:20:31 PM
  I did binary equations while designing stuff using the available 4 bit counters.  I've used the 7400 and 4000 series logic gates in my designs along with the analog LM-series.  I was taught Boolean algebra both in high school and in the Navy.  Nine's complement, gray code and some of the other stuff I learned.  Gray codes are still used in some of the mechanical encoders.

Joelene

I was working with FPGAs programmable arrays for a few years, it is nice to create combination/sequential logic without a need to soldering tons of chips :) and get over speed limit that can't be avoided in discrete package solutions.
You are right, grey codes is a good choice for an absolute position encoders since it changes only one bit between states, so avoids hazard transition states.

Quote from: Northern Jane on June 24, 2013, 02:14:33 PM

Doh, I am right handed :(.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Emily Aster on June 21, 2013, 08:01:54 AM
LOL isn't "1+1 == 01" ?? Is my brain fried . . . Do you write like I-Phone Apps?
I have to ask where you're getting 01 from now. I'd expect it to be 10 too.
She being littleendian.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: Lisbeth on June 25, 2013, 06:58:12 AMShe being 'left'littleendian (?) LOL. 

. . . as in 'handed' ?

See sig: "hardly enough of me "LEFT"  >:-) gee, the extremes we go for 'inclusion' !

Quote from: Endianness in generalNote, too, that some nominally bi-endian [members] require [susan]board help to fully switch endianness.  ???

( my lord!!! 500 posts *again*  )
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •