News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What's The Magic Word

Started by Anatta, June 23, 2013, 12:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

A couple of weeks ago I was rummaging through some books at a local book fair( I'm an obsessive compulsive buyer of old odd books) and came across a book by  John Wilson (an English philosopher) called  "Language And The Pursuit Of Truth"

Anyway when browsing through, a piece that struck a cord was on "magic" and how some words appear to have magical powers attached to them....

He writes about the 'unmentionables' such as blasphemy and obscene words...

"Perhaps the most interesting example of this comes from the last century(he's referring to the 18th century)when what we now call 'trousers' were not supposed to be mentioned.Unfortunately the practical usefulness of referring to the garments was too great to be overcome. Yet the taboo against the word 'trousers' still held. What happened was that the word was replaced by the word 'unmentionables' which as precisely the same meaning. This sort of taboo still exists in a rather lessened form today. It is still injudicious and impolite, when in certain circles, to refer directly to articles of 'ladies' underclothing by their standard name "

"We tend to regard those words as magical which refer to things that have a great emotional appeal to us, or that are regarded as private and sacred in some special way...Hence most 'unmentionable' words are either religious or sexual "

Why is it do you think words can invoke such deep felt feelings of hurt, anger, hate, repulsion etc...word that can touch a nerve, yet are nothing more than dots on the screen or 'waves' vibrating in the air ? why do we give/allow them such 'magical power over us ?

Again you don't have to respond to this post (if you want to that's fine) however just think about the power of the word...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

VeryGnawty

"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: VeryGnawty on June 23, 2013, 09:55:00 PM
Argelfrastar

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Kia Ora VeryGnawty,

I've repeted the name a few times and nothing happened...Now what ? No dragon no nothing ...Where's the magic in that  ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Kuan Yin on June 23, 2013, 11:43:57 PM
I've repeted the name a few times and nothing happened...Now what ? No dragon no nothing

It doesn't summon dragons.  It is a spell to liquidate evil wizards.  If the spell doesn't work, you can always use your bucket of soapy water and lemon juice (which one should always keep handy as an evil wizard deterrent)
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

EdekStaszek

Quote from: VeryGnawty on June 23, 2013, 09:55:00 PM
Argelfrastar

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Sorry, but whats the from? It seems like I've read it somewhere.....
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: EdekStaszek on June 26, 2013, 05:07:57 PM
Sorry, but whats the from? It seems like I've read it somewhere.....

Calling On Dragons, by author Patricia Wrede
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Sephirah

Quote from: Kuan Yin on June 23, 2013, 12:50:45 AM
Why is it do you think words can invoke such deep felt feelings of hurt, anger, hate, repulsion etc...word that can touch a nerve, yet are nothing more than dots on the screen or 'waves' vibrating in the air ? why do we give/allow them such 'magical power over us ?

Association. I think that's the magic word. It's the significance a person places on a word, or phrase, by linking it to events or emotions felt at times in their own lives. Sort of like a psychological shortcut. The interesting thing is that the same word doesn't always produce the same reaction in different people. Because not everyone places the same associations on the same word. A good example is the word "sun". To someone living in a hot country, it could be associated with thirst, pain, suffering, discomfort, hiding in the shadows, something to be afraid of even. Whereas to someone in the polar regions, the word "sun" could have associations of warmth, happiness, hope, life, emerging from the darkness. Completely opposite reactions to the same word based entirely on how that word is associated with events, experiences, sensations and feelings within that person's own life.

Someone skilled in working with altered states of consciousness can go one stage further and actively use certain words to trigger certain states within people. Bundling up an entire set of feelings and sensations into a neat little package, upon which a single word is stamped. And if this trigger is implanted into the subconscious mind of a person, then saying that word will lead to this mental shortcut being activated and the whole plethora of sensations and feelings being brought out. Even if the person isn't aware of it. It's how much of hypnosis, hypnotherapy and neuro-linguistic programming operates.

Associations with words gives them power over us. Not the words themselves, I think. The conscious mind doesn't deal well with complex emotions, multi-layered visual imagery etc. And uses words to simplify those things into concepts it can deal with, and analyse. Often condensing very extensive experiences and sensory information, pulled from the deeper reaches of the psyche, into an association with a single word or phrase. It's easier to process. Even if the person in question doesn't have the first clue why a word or phrase makes them feel a certain way. It's there, in the background, linked to the conscious shortcut word. Finding those associations can help people in finding out more about themselves, and how they see the world.

At least that's my take on it. :)
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Misato

"Sir" Call me that and I'm in a funk for, it's going on six days now.  Of course that word is dark magical because of what it means to me and where I came from.

I prefer white magic words though.  "Please" and "Thank you".  Or words that convey empathy and compassion.  When words are used as a tool to let ya know someone else is connecting with you, or appreciates you, that could be magical in a poetic but still very real sense.
  •  

AdamMLP

I think those words have such power over us because we allow them to, and by making them taboo we increase their power.  For example, in my generation swearing isn't thought of as a big deal, I've only met one person under the age of forty who was genuinely shocked by swearing and refused to ever speak a swear word (except for the time when she was reading aloud from a book in English and the excerpt mentioned a "bloody knife" and she spoke so quickly it was hilarious.  Even funnier was the fact it was actually referring to a knife covered in blood.)  Why is this?  Because we use and hear those words so often they've lost their importance.

I'm of the opinion it's a good thing, but some people argue that there's a problem when there is no longer a word strong enough to express great emotion because they've been used too often and made tamer, but then surely that forces people to become more vocal in those situations rather than just relying on a four letter word.

As for what the magic word is, it's normally either "please" or "abracadabra".
  •  

Jamie D

The most magical of all words is ...

Love
爱情
L'amor
L'aska
Amour
Liefde
Liebe
Rakkaus
Αγάπη