News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Inventer of the computer mouse passes away at 88

Started by Joelene9, July 03, 2013, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joelene9

All,

Douglas Engelbart, computer scientist, passed away today at age 88.  He was the inventor of the computer mouse.  He showed it at a lecture in California in 1968.  This was called "The Mother of all Demos."  I was a Sophomore in high school and the first moon landing was 7 months later.  The YouTube video of this demo shows the computer technology at the time. 

Story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/technology/douglas-c-engelbart-inventor-of-the-computer-mouse-dies-at-88.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Youtube:

Joelene
  •  

Jamiep

Hi Joelene9,

Just saw this on one of my local newspaper web site. Engelbart had a long life. All the people that own a computer are indebted to him. Laborious task like the dark ages if we had to use the arrow keys to navigate. Click & drag is a great gift with the mouse.
We are made of star stuff - Carl Sagan
Express Yourself
Own your zone
  •  

Beth Andrea

And to honor his memory, I shall play a game of solitare...which, I'm told, was intended as a training aid in the use of the mouse. (But in spite of this, my old workplace deleted all games on the business computers, against my protests of needing "refresher courses"...but only after I'd hid my copies of the standard Microsoft game suite in an unlikely named folder.)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Beth Andrea

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Joelene9

Goes to show of what you can build with a piece of 2x4!

Joelene
  •