Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

license and moving to a new state?

Started by -JR-, July 12, 2013, 10:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JR-

I just moved to a different state and that state as far as I can tell you must present surgery documents before you can change your gender marker on your license. does anyone know if when I go to switch my license over to this state if they will put an F back on it? there's an M on my license (and has been for well over a year) and its whats "in the system" because I've gotten 2 tickets since being here and both were printed out with an M. I only have a few weeks before I have to change it over but I'm worrying about how this is going to turn out.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

aleon515

AFAIK, the driver's license is something of a strange beast when it comes to legal documents. YOu can usually use it to show your name and so on. But if the chips are really down they aren't going to accept it, and that's why a lot of jobs and so on ask for a birth certificate.

I couldn't tell from the page what to do, but if it were me I'd go in with my license plate from state A which reads M and hand it over. If you look and present male odds are good that they wouldn't question it. Sometimes states ask for further ID like utilities bills which aren't gendered beyond your name.

I mean when most people go in for a license they check the box so what you did in state A is change the box. But you are not changing the box this time.

Just my 2ยข.

--Jay
  •  

randomroads

This entire thread confuses me. Are you changing the plates on your car? I've never noticed a gender marker on car titles, and I've never noticed a gender marker on registration cards.

Are you changing your drivers license from one state to another due to moving? Have you looked at the requirements for doing that? Recently laws have changed where in some states you have to present a birth certificate or passport to prove citizenship along with other documents proving residency. If your new state requires proof of citizenship regardless if you've already been licensed in a different state then yes, you will most likely be marked F instead of M if you haven't had a court change it.

You can have the gender on your passport changed to your preferred gender with a simple letter from your doctor. Ask about it! I don't know if the process is simple, but since it's a federal program and not state, there are only one set of laws to follow to get it done. Once the gender on your passport is changed you can use that in place of your birth certificate because you have to be a legal citizen to have a passport.

Basically, if you don't like it, get the court to change it. I haven't heard of any laws requiring you to bring SRS letters to the DMV. The DMV isn't there to review your medical history unless it impairs your ability to drive (deafness, mental disorders, ect)
I believe in invisible pink unicorns

•  

spacerace

I think I understand what you mean.

You changed the F to a M on your current state license according to the guidelines to do so. You are moving and will need to get a new state license, but you aren't sure if the M will carry over.

I moved to WA from TX. I had a TX license. the WA DMV only needed my TX license. It counted as a "primary source" and was all that they needed. No birth certificate or anything else.  So, if your new state works the same way, they will only look at the old license to issue the new one.  (my driver's license still has a F on it (TX and WA one) as I haven't changed it , but I think the scenario is still applicable because they will just use the information you give them when you fill out the application and compare it to the other state's license and DMV information)

Look at the website of the DMV of the state you are moving to, If the only need the old license, you are definitely good to go.  If they want your SS card and your old license, you are still good.

Your gender marker is changed legally - So, to make it work without hassle:
1 - don't mention the gender marker at all to anyone at the DMV  - if you ask questions about this, it will complicate it and confuse them
2 - fill out the application with a M not an F
3 - give them your old license as your proof of identity
  •  

aleon515

I agree with Spacerace. When I moved to New Mexico, my Ill driver's license was my only ID. I didn't need a birth certificate. If they asked for proof of residence you'd give them something like your rental agreement or utility bills, not birth certificate.
I don't think that at this point your name or gender is in any question.

--Jay

•  

-JR-

yes spacerace you are correct...I have already changed the F to an M on my current ID in my birth state. I moved a few weeks ago to a different state and I have to switch my ID within 30days of becoming a resident and I'm not sure if the M will transfer since this state has much stricter policies. 

I called the local office and asked what documents I need to switch my license and they said my current ID and a utility bill proving residency. I should be good if that's all they need. The picture is a bit different since it was taken over a year ago pre-t but it still looks like me for the most part, hopefully its not questioned. 
  •