News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Coffee May Lower Suicide Risk By 50 Percent, Harvard Study Indicates

Started by LearnedHand, July 26, 2013, 07:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

Coffee May Lower Suicide Risk By 50 Percent, Harvard Study Indicates
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/coffee-lower-suicide-risk-caffeine-benefits-harvard_n_3653637.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
Author: Sara Gates Source: Huffinton Post

"Keep drinking your morning cup of joe, coffee drinkers. Aside from a jolt of energy, caffeinated coffee may lower the suicide risk in men and women by 50 percent, Harvard researchers indicated in a recent study. Reviewing data from three large-scale U.S. studies, the team from the Harvard School of Public Health compared the risk of suicide for adults who consumed two to four caffeinated cups per day with that of non-coffee drinkers, those who drank much less coffee per day and people who chose decaf. "

--------------------------------------
Yes!!!!!!!!! Another reason why I shouldn't quit! w00t!  :icon_caffine: Black little to no sugar for me.  :)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Jamie D

•  

CalmRage

•  

Ltl89

Speaking for someone who drinks at least 3 cups a day, I find this study to be nonsensical judging from my current state of mind,lol. 

Quote from: CalmRageMusic on July 26, 2013, 07:54:18 PM
I hate it too. I am a tea-drinker for life.

According to the study, it has to do with the caffeine in coffee.  So if you drink the equivalent caffeine amount found in coffee, you may still benefit from it.
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on July 26, 2013, 08:25:01 PM
Speaking for someone who drinks at least 3 cups a day, I find this study to be nonsensical judging from my current state of mind,lol. 

According to the study, it has to do with the caffeine in coffee.  So if you drink the equivalent caffeine amount found in coffee, you may still benefit from it.
I don't believe that study either.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

I don't like getting hooked on caffine, you get headaches if you stop. >.<
  •  

Beth Andrea

I drink 5-hour energies, not for the "energy", but because it helps alleviate my depression. I wonder if there is in fact a correlation between coffee and lower rates of suicide, if the caffeine helped reduce the depression enough to affect the suicide rates?

Before the 5 hr energies, I used to self-medicate with a 32oz Coke and a king-size Hershey's chocolate bar...it was when I noticed the weight gain (after about 10 years) that I realized I needed something with fewer calories...

Post #3200, fwiw.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

V M

I love a good cup (or three) of coffee

IMO... People that don't like coffee just haven't lived anyplace where someone knows how to make a decent brew and probably they have no clue as to how to make anything other than instant coffee anyway
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: V M on July 27, 2013, 01:00:47 AM
I love a good cup (or three) of coffee

IMO... People that don't like coffee just haven't lived anyplace where someone who knows how to make a decent brew and probably they have no clue as to how to make anything other than instant coffee anyway

I've heard people who like brussels sprouts say the same thing...no, it's because our taste buds simply can't stand the taste. You can keep all the proper cooking/brewing methods...I'm not interested in coffee.

Or brussels sprouts.

I'll take Ovaltine and spinach, thankyouverymuch.  ;)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

V M

Quote from: Miss Bungle on July 27, 2013, 01:07:11 AM
I could never drink it without putting so much milk and sugar in it that it was 40% milk, 30% sugar and 30% coffee by the end of it. I figured what's the point? So, I don't bother with it.

If I were to ruin it in such a way I probably wouldn't bother with it either

Quote from: Beth Andrea on July 27, 2013, 01:12:22 AM
I've heard people who like brussels sprouts say the same thing...no, it's because our taste buds simply can't stand the taste. You can keep all the proper cooking/brewing methods...I'm not interested in coffee.

Or brussels sprouts.

I'll take Ovaltine and spinach, thankyouverymuch.  ;)

LOL... I do like Brussels sprouts as well  :laugh:  Oh, and I like spinach too
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Miss Bungle on July 27, 2013, 01:07:11 AM
I could never drink it without putting so much milk and sugar in it that it was 40% milk, 30% sugar and 30% coffee by the end of it. I figured what's the point? So, I don't bother with it.

You need to try a coffee where the beans have been freshly roasted, freashly ground, and made in a French press or cold-brewed. In my area, there's a few specialty shops that roast their own beans. It's much better than anything you can get at a supermarket. I too need cream and sugar in crappy coffee and usually don't bother, but something good, yum, the taste of the brew is all I need.  :)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Renee

I need my coffee in the morning. I drink instant(taster's choice house blend) at home, but brewed(SD) at work. I also use a straw...

Over the years, I've heard all sorts of "benefits" to drinking coffee espoused by someone or another, you never know what to believe because they can arrange a study to be a bit biased if they wish. But no matter, I'm still going to enjoy my coffee whether it has an upside or a downside.
  •  

Dreams2014

I've lost track of how many times they've said X food decreases the risk of Y disease/condition/etc

Heck I've even heard about the ill effects of coffee.

I think everything in moderation is the perfect philosophy when it comes to indulgences.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

matthewzguitarz

Eh, I will pass. I haven't had coffee in like.. 6-8 months now, and recently quit drinking soda as well, also cool to see that I am losing weight :) Anyways, caffeine isn't very good, for me at least, I always had sick stomachs and bad teeth, and then got headaches when I quit it, oh, and I was spending a lot of money on 44oz soda :)
  •  

blue

People seem to love or hate bitter flavors. I personally can't get enough. Sour old coffee however is the worst.
Of our desires some are natural and necessary, others are natural but not necessary; and others are neither natural nor necessary, but are due to groundless opinion.  Epicurus

Icon image: Picasso's "The Blind Man's Meal" http://www.metmu
  •  

Flan

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Oriah

•