Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Difference between Men's and Women's Vitamins?

Started by Night Haven, August 14, 2013, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Haven

I'm sorry if this question was already posted somewhere before. In my defense, I'm lazy and didn't look. *Prepares for scolding*

Anyhow, what's the real difference between men's and women's vitamins? Certainly there should be at least *some* difference, no matter how insignificant, but would it be something to worry about? I don't take any as of yet, but probably should - I'm certainly put off by those marketed towards women, so is there really any reason for me to take men's instead despite not possessing the "right" body for it? Are there differences in the amounts of nutrients, what's put into it, etc., or is it just how they're marketed? I know I could always just find a generic supplement, but this question has been bothering me for a while.
-Fight for the changes you want to see made; become the changes you want to see in the world.-

-The world is worse enough as it is; let us be and let be. Let's stop spreading hate and start spreading acceptance...-
  •  

JLT1

When women are younger, they menstruate. That puts some demand on the body that males don't have.  As women get older - like 50 or so, there are some other differences due to low E, so they add calcium and things like iron. 

I alternate – woman's one day, men's the next.  I'll probably keep doing this until the testicles come off. 
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Night Haven

Ah, alright. I expected the former, but hadn't thought about changes for older women.

Thank you!
-Fight for the changes you want to see made; become the changes you want to see in the world.-

-The world is worse enough as it is; let us be and let be. Let's stop spreading hate and start spreading acceptance...-
  •  

SciNerdGirl

Iron. 

Since women naturally bleed once a month they tend to need more iron than men do. 

Although if you want to do something awesome, you could donate a pint of blood every 6 weeks or so, then your body will need extra iron too.  Plus you get to save lives!
If I want to look like a girl, I need to eat like one.

Happiness is getting your eyeliner perfect on the first try  :angel:
  •  

ToughCookie

Quote from: SciNerdGirl on August 20, 2013, 11:11:20 PM
Iron. 

Since women naturally bleed once a month they tend to need more iron than men do. 

Although if you want to do something awesome, you could donate a pint of blood every 6 weeks or so, then your body will need extra iron too.  Plus you get to save lives!

Very true. In all honesty unless you are really iron deficient I would stay away from from to much of the stuff, excess iron may be a key player in the elevated risk of heart attacks. Then again this is your health and I'm no doctor so definitely talk to one first before you make any such changes to a diet
  •  

Shantel

we use "Pure encapsulations" here as recommended by my S.O.'s naturopathic doctor.

Her's is "Women's Pure Pack" a comprehensive daily packet of core nutrients which includes calcium, vitamin D3, CoQ10, fish oil and acai.

Mine is "Men's Pure Pack" which includes magnesium, vitamin D3, fish oil and saw palmetto which keeps prostate enlargement down and makes urinating easier. Some might say that if you are MtF why would you want to take anything formulated for men? Those who are post SRS even have to understand that the prostate is never removed as it is stationary and sits just forward of the bladder with the urethra as an integral part that runs through the center of it, so if you want to have a urethra and be able to pee you need a prostate regardless of the other uses it formerly performed. Usually prostates never become problematic for those on feminizing HRT, but I do notice that saw palmetto makes urinating go even quicker as it keeps everything in that area more relaxed.

We both take additional calcium citrate to offset any bone loss as a result of HRT. Fish oil capsules aid in keeping the vascular system healthy and flexible.
  •  

KabitTarah

Quote from: SciNerdGirl on August 20, 2013, 11:11:20 PM
Iron. 

Wow! An awesome way to simulate menstruating in a beneficial way! I wonder if it would feed the dysphoria.

Can the blood vans come on a 28 day schedule? ;)
~ Tarah ~

•