Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Total cost of transition...are my estimates correct?

Started by adison, August 15, 2013, 02:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adison

Therapy......................2000
HRT for life................15000
Electro whole body.......5000
BA.............................6000
FFS..........................25000
SRS..........................25000
Voice surgery.............10000
Travel,time off of surg...7000
Legal expenses............1000
TOTAL COST..............96000 (YIKES!!!)

So, Are these numbers right? How the hell does one get nearly an extra hundred grand?
  •  

Devlyn

The numbers look good to me. A second job helps. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Renee

Hrt is spread out, so it basically just becomes another living expense, not a one time cost. FFS doesn't have to cost that much, often half to three quarters of what you have down, depending on what sort of work needs to be done. The other costs depends on travel, what surgeon you use, etc. I'd guess that most can get through it with 50 to 60 k overall(spread out over a few years, except for the hrt which can spread out over the rest of your life and really shouldn't be counted as a single cost through just the transitional process) and sometimes less if they do it carefully and don't need too many of the extra stuff like voice, ffs or ba.

•  

JLT1

I came up with $85000, for me, not including HRT.  So, estimates are close. 

Good job or more than one good job.m
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Heather

Quote from: adison on August 15, 2013, 02:50:19 PM

So, Are these numbers right? How the hell does one get nearly an extra hundred grand?
Really it all depends on the person. I don't know what your situation is but you might not need all that stuff unless you want to. Actually most of this stuff you can get for a lot cheaper if your willing to shop around. Personally the only surgery I'm going to have is SRS and I don't need ba of ffs or voice surgery and thanks to my insurance I pay hardly anything for hrt. You can get your whole body laser treatment for pretty affordable too. And you can get SRS for under 20k. So unless your the worst case scenario it shouldn't be as much as you think.  ;)
  •  

Vicky

Your number is both high and low!!  As noted above, some of this is amortized over a darn long period of time.  I have no idea where you got your life expectancy for the hormones from, but I hope you double that.  So much is just daily living expenses that you already pay, so if you can make those already, no special financing is needed.  FFS looks high to me, but if you desire the surgery go for it, I was told to save that money.  Your $7K for time off the job simply gives me an idea of your current income, and thus seems low overall.  If you see this as a financial brick wall, you are just going to have a sore head for many years by head butting the wall.  I have been a cost accountant for many many years, and think you are scaring yourself with that computation more than helping.  Take life one bill at a time and you will be much happier.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

blueconstancy

It depends on a lot of things...

My last calculation had the total outlay for four years around $29,000 of which $20K was GRS, and no future expenses beyond a lifetime of endo monitoring ($50/year) and HRT ($600/year).

Because I'm the sort of person who keeps track of these things anyway, the cost of transition for my wife *without* insurance :

laser - $2000
endocrinologist - 4 visits yearly, $150 per visit and $400 for lab work done every visit ($2200/year)
ultrasound to check liver function, once - $5000
therapist - $100 per visit, 1 visit per week ($5000 per year)
HRT, patch - $50/month generic, $150/month brand name ($600 or $1800 per year)
GRS - $20,000 US (it was $18K Canadian, but the exchange rate was in their favor)

plus about $500 total to get all the necessary documentation for name and gender change and pay the various fees to send in the applications.

As it happens, insurance actually did cover the therapist, ultrasound, endocrinologist and HRT.  My employer's insurance plan specifically excluded *only* GRS, while paying for all other transgender care. Could be worse.

Actual cost there per year : $1200 for the therapist, $120 for the endo and about $200 for lab work after the insurance paid their share, $600 for patches ($50 copay per month), and I think $50 for the ultrasound.

Similarly, she had paid time off for the full month, and travel expenses were about $1000 for a place for me to stay in Montreal and maybe $200 in tolls/gas/snacks.

And as others have said, HRT becomes a routine ongoing expense; I discontinued the Pill and she took up using HRT simultaneously, even, so the net change to the budget was nearly zero.
  •  

JLT1

My estimate above is probably high as prior to confronting myself, I was committing slow suicide by ice cream.  I've got a $20,000 inclusion in my estimate due to surgery necessary to work on excess skin.  (I've lost a lot of weight and continue to do so.)

I think my estimate includes some extras that really are not necessary.  However, I ran up my plan to what my insurance will cover.
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: JLT1 on August 16, 2013, 01:20:59 PM
My estimate above is probably high as prior to confronting myself, I was committing slow suicide by ice cream.  I've got a $20,000 inclusion in my estimate due to surgery necessary to work on excess skin.  (I've lost a lot of weight and continue to do so.)

I think my estimate includes some extras that really are not necessary.  However, I ran up my plan to what my insurance will cover.

Sad, we lose so many to Haagen-Dazs syndrome!
  •  

wolfduality

It seems on the high end to me honestly. Like others have said, shopping around and actually seeing if you truly need some of that stuff will cut down costs. Also, something to consider is possible travel expenses and time off from your job(s)/school to recover or go to appointments because sometimes you will have to go out of your town/city to see some doctors for certain things. (Or if you live in a small town that doesn't have the necessary people to handle your gender needs.) Also, the cost can vary widely depending on your state in some situations.

You might also consider seeing about insurance possibilities to cut down your costs though I know this is a stretch due to many insurance companies considering SRS/hormones/the like "cosmetic" or "non-essential".
Yours truly,

Tobias.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: adison on August 15, 2013, 02:50:19 PM

It depends. 

I'm going for the discount  transition, so it's different for me.  As of now, there are no plans for FFS, BA, voice surgery and I will see what the hormones do before I consider full body laser hair removal.  That leaves me with therapy, endocrinolgists visits, bloodwork, therapy, hormones, SRS, and Laser for my face.  That has been enough of a burden on me so far.  However, it is somewhat manageable.

Transitioning takes time, so get the necessary stuff out of the way.  Don't worry about the more expensive stuff unless it is really needed, otherwise you will dig yourself into a financial hole.  FFS depends on the person (I have been told that I don't need it at all by many), voice can be improved with time and effort with practice, and not everyone will require BA.  Find out what you need and then start planning.  Chances are you won't have to do all of this things to pass.
  •