Main Menu

A little background history on the term Atheism

Started by Anatta, August 17, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

I dug this up from an old post......

Quote...Atheism... The Correct Literal Meaning

In ancient Greece, the word for "god" was "theos". Obviously, if "theos" meant god, then there would need to be a word that meant the opposite. By putting "a" in front of "theos" the word "atheos" was formed, which means "no god". In Greek "a" can also mean "without", although I think in this case "no" makes more sense. Taken this way a person that says, "no god(s)", is making a denial of the existence of god(s). Any confusion about whether it meant "without belief in god(s)", as modern atheists claim, would not have been a consideration at this point in time. It was simply a denial of god(s) existence.

These two words, "theos" and "atheos" are the root words from where we get "theism" and "atheism": "ism" means; "Greek -ismos; orig. suffix of action or of state, forming nouns from verbs."

It's usage today is a "doctrine, theory, system, etc." (Webster's).
At the time "theos" came in to existence, there was no formal "doctrine of god" so "theism" developed sometime later, most likely during the (French) Enlightenment. This period of time is also when the modern form of "atheism" came into existence as well. This tracing of the development of a word is also part of etymology.

Once more formal doctrines came into being, then the word "theism" was created..."Theos" god; "ism", belief or doctrine. Thus, the modern use of the word "theism", belief in God. We must remember, however, that the literal, Greek root for "theism" is "theos". "Atheos" then, in modern usage, means "no/without belief in god". But just like the word "theos" (god) is the root, literal meaning of "theism", so too, "atheos"(no god), is the root word for "atheism". That's why when you look in a dictionary, or encyclopaedia under the word "atheism", they list the Greek, literal meaning as, "a denial of god(s)."

End of quote...

However for those who find the term atheist distasteful how  about Ignorist ...

http://bridgingschisms.org/2008/10/ignostic-igtheists-or-weak-atheists/

"I'm an atheist till the day I die.......Then I'm open to offers!" ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

BrotherBen

Ingnorist sounds a little too much like ignorance for my taste! Once I got over the initial reluctance, I found that "atheist" grew on me. People at least have roughly some idea what it means, and it's fun to hear them say things like "No, you can't be! You're such a good/nice/etc. person!" I just think of the "a-" suffix as not meaning lack in the sense of a deficiency, but simply in the sense of being without.

By the way, what does Metta Zenda mean?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: MaybeBen on August 23, 2013, 08:28:30 PM
Ingnorist sounds a little too much like ignorance for my taste! Once I got over the initial reluctance, I found that "atheist" grew on me. People at least have roughly some idea what it means, and it's fun to hear them say things like "No, you can't be! You're such a good/nice/etc. person!" I just think of the "a-" suffix as not meaning lack in the sense of a deficiency, but simply in the sense of being without.

By the way, what does Metta Zenda mean?

Kia Ora MaybeBen,

In a sense to use the term atheist is a polite and non-confrontational way of expressing ones personal views... 

Metta=Pali language spoken at the time of the Buddha, meaning "Loving Kindness" and Zenda's just my forum name...(BTW Kia Ora is Maori for "Be well/healthy" or in plain talk "Hi" )

Metta Zenda :)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •