Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Finding answers for transgender patients

Started by Amelia Pond, September 16, 2013, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Pond

Finding answers for transgender patients
Sep. 16, 2013

The story starts before anyone knew Josh Castillo, before he was Josh Castillo.

He'd been getting great treatment from an allergist who was always attentive and thorough in examinations. But Castillo hadn't yet had surgery. He was still living as a woman — thin, with long hair.

"I would say I had a more traditional appearance," he said.

But when Castillo cut his hair and started hormone therapy, the doctor suddenly asked fewer questions. He stopped any touch whatsoever, even for simple exams.

"He didn't even listen to me breathe," Castillo said. "I just got my shot and left."

One day, Castillo reacted badly to a shot, eventually going into anaphylactic shock.

While nurses quickly treated him, Castillo said the doctor stood away, berating him for not taking his allergy medicine that morning.

Castillo never returned.

Uncomfortable doctor-patient relationships are not the only barrier to transgendered patients receiving care. According to the Missouri Foundation for Health, transgendered patients have less access to health insurance, are less likely to find competent care, and are less likely to seek care out of fear of how they'll be treated.
  •