Previous topic - Next topic

aibeecee

From time to time, I read things on Facebook and elsewhere on the internet like

"I support gays and lesbians but not transgender."
"I have a lot of gay friends but transgender people are disgusting/just sick."

E.g.:
http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3047
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152216213&page=1

Stonewall in the UK openly supports LGB only and doesn't advocate transgender issues.

Does anyone feel the same or is it just me who thinks that gay and transgender issues are two quite different problems? Is it the "medical aspect" which separates us from the LGB community?

•  

bethanyjadefowell

Most of the posters know nothing about Transgender. The people they are talking about or have seen, are these who just cross dress.

If they were to see people like us who had totally changed from one gender to another, they wouldn't even know that person was transgender. Probably be like "but how come you don't look male".

Not everyone understands, and that is why I don't go searching on the Internet, as Id want to say stuff to them.

The only times I searched on the internet was when I was finding out who I really was.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: bethanyjadefowell on September 29, 2013, 08:24:21 AM
Most of the posters know nothing about Transgender. The people they are talking about or have seen, are these who just cross dress.

If they were to see people like us who had totally changed from one gender to another, they wouldn't even know that person was transgender. Probably be like "but how come you don't look male".

Not everyone understands, and that is why I don't go searching on the Internet, as Id want to say stuff to them.

The only times I searched on the internet was when I was finding out who I really was.

I am transgender.  I "just cross dress"

It seems your understanding of transgender needs some updating, too. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Shantel

Transgender and Transexual sometimes is taken for two different things in some minds as if the first is a dresser and the second has taken it all the way through body modifications. To me it's just a matter of semantics because we are all basically in the same canoe together. The GLB community's issues are all about sexual preference whereas the T community is all about gender and gender presentation. Typically when under any political duress the GLB community will throw the T community under the bus every time.
  •  

bethanyjadefowell

I understand, now, that I am cross dressing, but once I've changed and had FFS and GRS, I won't be cross dressing then, or I'm I wrong?
  •  

Devlyn

Naked or clothed has no effect on being Transgender. I think we are just using different terms, no worries.  Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Alice Rogers

My understanding of it is if you feel female on the inside and are dressing female to match the inner you then you are a Transgender.

A cross dresser identifies as the gender their body is but simply enjoy wearing clothing of the opposite gender.

I am a MtF and the only time I feel like I am 'cross dressing' is when I wear my boyfriends clothes in emergencies!

Allie
"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time." Jack London
  •  

Keaira

You will find in many organizations that support LGBT, the T is often unspoken. Or they will say things like, " Oh, you're welcome of course," "you're included too," "Oh, we meant you guys too."
I have seen it often enough that I consider us for the most part to be seperate from this LGB community. The HRC has thrown us under the bus a couple of times, and you may have noticed a distinct lack of silence from the LGB community when we got workplace protections under Title VII.
  •  

big kim

I've always felt the T stood for tolerated.
  •  

Dreams2014

It does feel that LGB and T stand miles apart. This is why I support much much T awareness. And potentially, going it alone. If we have to stand alone to get noticed and it results in the much needed changes we want, then wouldn't it be worth it? Because right now I'm sure a load of people think LGBT issues are being dealt with, when it really means LGB issues are being dealt with.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: aibeecee on September 29, 2013, 06:07:30 AM
"I support gays and lesbians but not transgender."
"I have a lot of gay friends but transgender people are disgusting/just sick."

Those people are even stupider than straight up homophobes.
  •  

Keaira

Its bad enough that myself and a friend are starting our own group. We will focus on the Transgender community. To kick things off, I am on the board that is setting up the TDOR event in our area and after that, we will be starting a support group. :p
  •  

Chaos

Yes Transgender also hits also alot of different avenues because *many* do not believe in body modification but to be very blunt,its mainly due to ignorance based on mental status.Most humans believe *if they can see it,touch it,taste it-then its real* otherwise,its outcasted and since being transgender *for me* is mental,thats not something you can *see,taste or touch* and thus,either no one understands or doesnt even try too.This is the main reason why many have demanded T be removed from LGBTQ.I do semi agree with them but only on the form that being Trans is not a sexual orientation but gender.But i also know that the Trans community needs allies but who knows how long that will last if the ignorance conttinues

And being Transgender is inside,not outside.This is the point that Devlyn was trying to make.Even if our situations prevented us from *dressing* it still doesnt change who we are.Of course the burden of weight from suppressing who we are,causes the most damage.And accepting who we are *coming out* is what lightens said burden and allows us to stop suppressing.But the clothes is not what makes us Transgender.One reason therapists require doing so,is because through mental state *and not being forced to suppress* we act out who we really are and a free adult human being,would generally address this in many ways but for those who can not,they are still Transgender.What im trying to say is,even when one is *dressing* as their birth sex *trying to force it on their self,in denial-whatever have you* it is still there but hidden.
All Thing's Come With A Price...
  •  

Alice Rogers

To me the biggest hurdle is that most people still view Transgenderism as a choice or a mental state/illness.

It isn't
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
  •  

Dreams2014

Quote from: alex rogers on October 04, 2013, 07:42:19 AM
To me the biggest hurdle is that most people still view Transgenderism as a choice or a mental state/illness.

It isn't

Tbh people in my country (UK) still believe a lot of mental illness is a choice. But thanks to awareness, stigma concerning mental illness is being lifted. We need a similar campaign for trans issues.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

Alice Rogers

As a UK girl myself (york) I agree with you.
  •  

Dreams2014

Oh awesome, I love York! Beautiful city. And Leeds. Tbh Yorkshire is just a nice part of the country.
  •  

Lexi Belle

Transsexual is Transgender, but Transgender is not always Transsexual.  The only difference that would make some transgenders not transsexual is the fact that they don't want to BE the opposite gender, they want to mimic it.  There are some cross dressers and so forth who WOULD be candidates for the full transsexual process, some just choose not to for either their own concerns, or money problems.  Either way, transsexuality is in the brain, not the body.
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

Alice Rogers

Quote from: Dreams2014 on October 04, 2013, 07:56:20 AM
Oh awesome, I love York! Beautiful city. And Leeds. Tbh Yorkshire is just a nice part of the country.

I never really got on with Leeds, to the point where I asked for my GIC to be sheffield, then I found out Sheffield has a bad reputation in the Trans community, or at least it used to, I am praying things have improved since I am going there in 3 weeks!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: alex rogers on October 03, 2013, 04:02:29 AM
My understanding of it is if you feel female on the inside and are dressing female to match the inner you then you are a Transgender.

A cross dresser identifies as the gender their body is but simply enjoy wearing clothing of the opposite gender.

I am a MtF and the only time I feel like I am 'cross dressing' is when I wear my boyfriends clothes in emergencies!

Allie

You know, those "hard and fast" rules do not always hold.  For some, cross-dressing is a way to cope with their dysphoria.  As such the disconnect between gender identity and sexual phenotype is very real.

And how would you define the gender expression of someone who is non-binary, and dresses variously in whatever styles (male, female, unisex, indeterminate) suits their fancy?
  •