Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Sport: Before and After Transition?

Started by Buffy, June 24, 2007, 01:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you played regular Sport before Transition, will you do so afterwards?

Never played Sport in either Gender
7 (35%)
Will Play sport in previous Gender only
1 (5%)
Will Play Sport in adopted Gender only
7 (35%)
Will Play Sport in both Genders
5 (25%)
Will not play Sport in adopted Gender
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 23, 2007, 01:38:21 AM

Buffy

I know many people do not enjoy sport in general.

For me, it was one of the things that I could focus on and it took my mind off of the Gender issues I had for many years and I actually enjoyed this.

I played soccer (at a decent level), Cricket (at a decent standard), Tennis and did Athletics for my Country, prior to transition. I also enjoyed swimming and working out at the Gym.

For a period of three years, I basically stopped my sporting career, the year during transition and for two years after SRS while I adjusted to my new body (and differences in strength etc). I started swimming and running about 6 months post op and two years after SRS started playing Tennis, Netball and Softball competitively for womens teams. I also work out at the gym 3 times a week in both group activities and personal training sessions.

Transsexuals are now being welcomed into competitive sport in general. The IOC have sanctioned that in 2008, TS will be allowed to compete in the Olympics for the first time, so long as they meet the required conditions. Many Countries now follow those guidelines and in the UK with the Gender Recognition Act has given rise to many sporting bodies including Transsexuals in their policies and procedures.

My Question is: Will you take part competitively (or not) in sport after transition?

I would be especially interested to hear from any F2M's and how they think they will compete with other men.

Buffy
  •  

Christo

I like sports.  I play soccer & go 2 the gym evry day.  work out for 2. sometimes 3 hrs a day. been on T for 14 months & can lift 107 lbs bench press.  most bio dudes at my gym cant lift that so I'm da man.  :laugh:
I like competin w/other dudes 'cos I know I'm strong like them & can do evrything they do.  no difference between me and them. ;)
  •  

ssindysmith

Playing sports as a male made me puke, but now being able to freely express myself I find more enjoyment playing sports. 
  •  

Keira

Playing sports, was the only activity were I didn't mind some of the male privilege of being able to have powerfull sleek muscles. I was the best in almost all sports, swimming: when I was around 10-12 (was tops in my city in the butterfly and backstroke), my best collective sport was basketball (I could dunk) but I didn't have time to play in a league because I was more involved in individual sports, especially track and field 14-24 (one of the best high jumpers in the country, a fast sprinter (but not olympic level fast), in the first years of his career, I often was the middle leg runner on the relay with Bruni Surin who went on to win a gold at the Atlanta game in the 4x100 meter relay for Canada) and cycling in my early to mid 20's (very fast on short courses (50K and less) with rolling hills).

So, hey, I was a jock. But, these were not bulky muscles, they were functional powerful muscles. That's the kind of muscles I like on guys ironically, I was my own boyfriend ;-).

•  

Dennis

I have no problem competing with other men. There are enough levels of competition in the various sports leagues around here that I can always find one that'll fit my skill level. And, like Hidrix, I lift weights too. Up to 115 lbs on the bench press so far. And he's right, not many bio guys can do that.

Dennis
  •  

Steph

Does mattress wrestling count as a sport?

:)

Steph
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Steph on June 24, 2007, 07:39:34 PM
Does mattress wrestling count as a sport?

:)

Steph

Hey!  Didn't they show that in the movie "Groove Tube"?

Me?  Organized sports?  I hated the team stuff, but I liked the individual competition sports.  For a while I was on a springboard diving team -- there's nothing but you, the board, and the water 3 meters beneath the board.  I also liked hiking, especially going up.  Give me a trail going up to a peak, and I have to follow it.  But that activity doesn't fit my definition of sport.

Come to think of it, other than saying I don't like competitive activities between two opposing groups of participants but do like some activities that make use of strength, tone and developable skills, I don't quite know how to answer this question.

Karen
  •  

Cindi Jones

No sports for me since I messed up my back.  I used to love handball and racquetball.  But I was never much for other organized sports.  I could never measure up for some reason. 

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Kate

Does automobile "racing" count?

You'd be surprised at how physical driving a car at the limit can be. I'd get done a 30 minutes session, and climb out of the car drenched in sweat, muscles hurting, totally dehydrated...

I never did the competitive thing much though. I loved what were called "track days," where you'd share the track with other enthusiasts. Not a competition at all, just an open track to do what you want. In fact, whenever I DID get bunched up in traffic, I'd pull into the pits until I could pull out again all alone. It was just me, my car and the track.

I lost interest in it though since all this becoming a girl stuff.

Otherwise, I've never been very physical. I DO like "coordination" type things, like driving, frisbee, swimming, bowling, archery, martial arts, climbing, hiking, dirt bikes (when young), etc.

But I hate competition. That's not the point of it for me, it's getting into that zen-like groove where you "become one with what you're doing" that I love. It's a chance to dance.

~Kate~
  •  

Lisbeth

The sum of my sports is biking, tennis, and golf.  Biking stamina was reduced by HRT, but practise takes care of that.  The real surprise was golf.  I had read a diatribe winter before last by some golf "expert" that woman golfers are bad because their breasts get in the way of their swing.  So I had to try it.  OMG!!!!!! THE PAIN!!!!!  I've been relearning how to swing since then.  BTW, I'm not proud; I'll hit from the ladies' tee.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Kate on June 25, 2007, 10:37:40 AM
... it's getting into that zen-like groove where you "become one with what you're doing" that I love. It's a chance to dance.

Omigawd!  that's IT!!!

Does playing drums count?

Karen
  •  

tinkerbell

I hate sports.  I've never played any before or after transition.   I couldn't undress in front of other men/boys, and I'd have panic attacks in the locker rooms before P.E. classes at school.  Therefore, my parents managed to obtain a doctor's note which excused me from P.E. classes during all my highschool years.  >:D  Yeah, I got away with it.  LOL   :P

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Christine Eryn

Like I said in my introduction, I took up sports in my early teens thanks to peer pressure. I almost regret that.  :-\ But, I like basketball, and still watch it to this day. I decided I cannot play anymore, thanks to physical problems with this hurting and that aching.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

InMyWrittenHeart

•  

Vee

Quote from: InMyWrittenHeart on January 25, 2012, 12:39:04 PM
Will play sport in both gender
+1

Sports are good in so many ways, both for your health, body and mind, that in no way I'm giving them up,
although I know on HRT I'll lose stamina, i don't care.

Mine are running, and fencing.
  •