Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

US adults are dumber than the average human. A scientific fact seemingly!!!

Started by Cindy, October 09, 2013, 12:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica Merriman

Hi Cindy! As a former paramedic/firefighter I could have saved you the reading on this one. It didn't take very long on the street's for me to see the writing on the wall. I didn't call it stupidity, but job security. Some of the things I witnessed were just so incredibly dumb that I am surprised we are still a super power. It seems like they never learned from their dingy actions. The same people over and over did the same incredible things upping their injuries every time. Then, they procreated! The next generations were worse building on behaviors that seemed insane the first time around. What scares the stuffing out of me is if they survive they will be taking care of me in the future. Come on zombie apocalypse! These comments do not or should not upset anyone here though because I think we have a fine family here. Maybe we are the intelligent, well adjusted and the "normal" people in the large general population are the one's with the issue's. What do you think? I feel like that is accurate. Anyway, yes, for some reason the U.S. is in big trouble. I suppose I could immigrate................... ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
  •  

Cindy

Then again there is nothing that strikes more fear in me than walking into the ED and seeing it staffed by people I taught!

I suppose I could immigrate................... ;D
unquote.

I've just warned the immigration dept to keep an eye out for you; they have BANNED you >:-)
  •  

Jessica Merriman

•  

bethany

Cindy, All you have to do is look at the state of our goverment to figure out that we are not as inteligent as the rest of the world. They can't balance a budget, they live beyond their means, they borrow money to pay off loans, they shot first and ask questions later. And these are our elected officals so what does that say about the rest of us? 
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Jenny07

Me thinks this is a Cindy post. Oh it is a Cindy post :D

Lucky were no the US!
That was a close one.

So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

barbie

I looked over the report. For my country, the outlook seems rather bright.

For example, Korea is among the three lowest-performing countries when comparing the skills proficiency of 55-65 year-olds; however, when comparing proficiency among 16-24 year-olds, Korea ranks second only to Japan.

The problem is that the voter turnout of 55-66 yr is far higher than the younger generations, whereas the political preference is so much contrasting between 20-54 years and >55 years. I am skeptical whether those aged voters even can read and understand the public commitments. One presidential candidate promised that every person > 65 year old will get a monthly subsidy of ca. US$200, regardless of their income, and she became the president. Last month, she apologized, and retracted that commitment.   

I have to wait for a few decades to see any significant political reform in this country.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Jamie D

The Ten Most Educated and Smartest Countries in 2012

(Lists modified from source at link)

The "Most-Educated" Rankings

1.  Canada
2.  Israel
3.  Japan
4.  United States
5.  New Zealand
6.  South Korea
7.  Norway
8.  United Kingdom
9.  Australia
10. Finland

Intelligent States (Source: Yahoo Finance)

1.  Hong Kong
2.  South Korea
3.  Japan
4.  Taiwan
5.  Singapore
6-9.  Austria
6-9.  Germany
6-9.  Italy
6-9.  Netherlands 
10-11.  Sweden
10-11.  Switzerland
  •  

suzifrommd

Well, as an American, I can witness that things are worse than the folks in Adelaide can imagine. Some elements of our society have some kind of weird pride in their ignorance. In many areas intellectual achievement or success in a cerebral profession make one "unmanly". Our politicians fall all over each other to convince voters that they are "one of the common people" and not an elitist (meaning one of those smart folk).
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Jayne

Due to the amount of time I spend online with Americans i'm not shocked by the findings in that report, i'm also not shocked that the UK didn't fare too well either.
Our education system is stretched to the limits for the average person & it wasn't that good when I went to school many, many years ago. I left school with no maths qualifications, I had to put considerable effort in at college to improve my math skills to become an engineer & I can now tell you with the utmost confidence that 2 + 2 = 5
  •  

Dreams2014

Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

Jamie D

Eliza Doolittle: Ah-ah-ah-ow-ow-oo! I don't want no gold and no diamonds! I'm a good girl, I am!

Carry on!  ;)  :angel:
  •  

VeryGnawty

This is what happens when you protect people from themselves.  Seat belt laws, anti-smoking laws, etc.

If we would just let natural selection take its course, we would be fine.  Instead, we insist on protecting people from themselves, and their foolish choices get worse as they teach them to their offspring who proceed to make even worse choices.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

LordKAT

•  

Constance

Is it that we're dumber or just less educated?

Math is not one of my strong points, and my understanding of some algebraic concepts is still weak. Does this make me dumb, or just somebody who isn't very good with math? Part of my problem with math stems from my stutter, too, as I stutter while thinking. This can be very problematic when trying to work out basic arithmetic.

Ms. OBrien CVT

What do you expect from a country where the most popular TV personality is Honey Boo Boo.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Ms. OBrien CVT on December 20, 2013, 12:36:11 PM
What do you expect from a country where the most popular TV personality is Honey Boo Boo.

Is she really? I didn't even know who she was until they made fun of her on South Park. I remember when I saw the pre-show blurb on their website and all I could think was: WTF is "Honey Boo Boo?"
  •