10 (2.3%)
over 6'6"
4 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Kat

I'm the smurf of the group I guess at 5'1"   :laugh:
  •  

Thundra

Back in the seventies, there were three gals six feet or taller in my high school, and none of them were teachers!

Nowadays, everywhere I go, there are women towering over me. So, yeah, I'd say things have changed. Back when my Mother was a young woman in the first half of the last century, at 5'8" she was a giant. Now she falls toward the median average height.

I've also noticed that heights seem to fall along state lines too. Back east, I saw a lot fewer women at six feet or taller, but out west, they are not unusual atall. In Colorado, there were lots of women 6'4" or better, and thin as rails too. Women in the NW can be tall, but they tend to be much rounder and hippier.  All puns intended.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Natalie Carole on July 08, 2007, 08:52:35 PM
Id just like to say all you short girls think your so feminine being shorter than me dont you?
Just because your tall doesnt mean you dont look feminine and sexy. I certainly do. So there!
Who said anything about that? ???
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Aeyra

I am a little over 6' (180 cm). Tallness runs in my ancient ancestors.
  •  

Keira

Actually, 1m80 is under six foot, its 5 foot 11, I know because I'm 1.82 (my height), very close to 6 foot, but not 6 foot, which is 1m83.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Thundra on July 09, 2007, 11:00:57 PMI've also noticed that heights seem to fall along state lines too. Back east, I saw a lot fewer women at six feet or taller, but out west, they are not unusual atall. In Colorado, there were lots of women 6'4" or better, and thin as rails too. Women in the NW can be tall, but they tend to be much rounder and hippier.  All puns intended.
Maybe it's because of all of the people who have been transitioning on the west coast. :D
  •  

karmatic1110

I am 6ft 1 myself.  I have a ritual whenever I see a woman that may be taller than me.  Come on the journey with me for a moment.

I will be walking around a store and notice said woman.  I stop in place, check for heels and then walk past her.  I then circle back around and walk right past her where I can compare my height and hers.  :D  Usually she is slightly shorter than me and I curse under my breath. Just Kidding   :angel:

Charlotte

Keira

In 10 years, I have yet to find a woman taller than me, even TS I know, I know many, are all smaller than me!! Montreal must be the short woman capital of north america.

People always says so and so is so tall, she's just as tall as you, then I get to see this "giantess" and she's only 5 foot 10. When a woman is taller than them, people have much problems estimating how tall she really is. This works to our advantage since for most, being 5 foot 10 or 6 foot 1 is all the same, a tall woman.

•  

karmatic1110

Sometimes I think I am the center of a very well planned joke sort of like the Truman Show.  My friends always tell me how the often run into very tall women and I do not, so I have come up with a theory. 

Everyone knows where I am going to go shopping and when. All of the tall women go elsewhere and I am surrounded by my tiny friends and itty bitty size -4s who I miss if I don't look down.

Charlotte

Rachael

im 5'9, and know lots of women taller, one of my best friends has an inch on me :)
  •  

Julie Marie

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Wendy

Thundra,

The "weighted average" of 54 responses remains at 5'10" with +/- one inch for interval classifications.  The interval for the weighted average in centimeters is 174 to 180.
  •  

Virginia

Quote from: Keira on July 10, 2007, 02:55:44 PM5 foot 10 or 6 foot 1 is all the same, a tall woman.

This brings to mind an excellent essay I read, Why Tall Women SHOULD Wear High Heels by Amazona
Full text at http://amazonablog.com/why-tall-women-s ... igh-heels/

I'm 5' 10" 146 pounds, wear juniors 7-9/misses 4-6 slacks, juniors L-XL/misses M tops, a 36A bra and size 10 womens shoes- I see at most 2-3 girls my height a day and it seems to be a lot more common for younger people in their teens or 20's than their 50's like me. I'm sure that's part of the reason I am often told I look to be in my 30's.

Here are some actual US height statistics:

Source: http://www.halls.md/chart/women-height-w.htm

http://www.halls.md/chart/men-height-w.htm

All that said, I'm just not that tall that I get side ways glances. I dress around my body like every other flatchested beanpole, avoid vertical stripes like the plague but I refuse to live in flats. LOL, at my height a couple more inches doesn't really matter although I just don't wear anything over a 3 1/2" heel.

But the interesting part is the conversations I have with strangers. Women come up to me out of the blue, ask me if I am a model because I am so tall and pretty (tall yes, but pretty is a stretch). They go on about how lucky I am to be tall, how they always wished they were tall and they invariably have a niece or granddaughter who is six foot plus and want to know where I buy my slacks.

Height and skinniness are coveted attributes in our culture. I may be taller than the norm but after 2 ½ years, 1000 or so hours presenting as female, I just don't feel it affects my ability to pass.

~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Ava C

living halfway between reality and fantasy at all times.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

Wow, this thread is funny! I posted in here in 2007 and I was 5'6" and now I'm 5'5". That's pretty neat. I love when older posts get resurrected and come back. It makes me smile :)
  •  

MacKenzie

Quote from: MeghanAndrews on January 11, 2012, 02:21:20 PM
Wow, this thread is funny! I posted in here in 2007 and I was 5'6" and now I'm 5'5". That's pretty neat.

Really? I know my dad actually shrunk a little but that's common for older people.

I wanna shrink too! I'm 5'7  :'(
  •  

Virginia

Age, scoliosis and HRT have robbed me of 3+ inches in the last 5-7 years. I'm thrilled to be in "model range" presenting as a girl (5'10" is minimum) but it kinda sux when I present as a guy...
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Joelene9

Still another 6' 2" Colorado skycrane.  I am not bothered with it.
  Joelene
  •  

MeghanAndrews

I think the most amazing thing about this thread was looking through the names of some of the posters back in 2007. They were many of the people I got strength from through transition. That's pretty awesome. Most don't come here anymore, I hope they are doing well :)
  •  

shortNsweet

I don't actually mind my height. I'm between 5'4" and 5'5'.
  •