Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How Do I Read These PH Strips?

Started by LearnedHand, December 10, 2013, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

I bought these pH strips on Amazon, but I can't figure out how to read them. I thought it would be simple, just dip the strip in, wait for it to dry a little and then match the boxes up with the ones on the container. However, there's four boxes on the strips, and all of them give a different reading. So, my reading is anywhere between 5 and 12.  ??? That's a huge difference.

The comments on Amazon aren't too helpful on figuring out which box to read, and on-line when I google it, all the strips shown only have two boxes.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

sandrauk

you read all four boxes together the top one is for ph 0-4 the second is for ph 5-9 third ph 10-12.
It's to make it more accurate
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: sandrauk on December 10, 2013, 09:25:53 AM
you read all four boxes together the top one is for ph 0-4 the second is for ph 5-9 third ph 10-12.
It's to make it more accurate

Then what's the 4th box for?
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

musicofthenight

Quote from: LearnedHand on December 10, 2013, 08:07:03 AM
So, my reading is anywhere between 5 and 12.

The four boxes each have a different pH-indicator chemical and have to be matched with the corresponding scale.  So, if you dip one in water, the colors should be orange/olive/yellow/red-orange.  Call those boxes 1-4 in that order.  Between pH 5 and 8, box 2 will change the most (orange-olive-purple), and between pH 8 and 12 box 3 will change yellow to red.

Is that how you're reading it?
What do you care what other people think? ~Arlene Feynman
trans-tom / androgyne / changes profile just for fun

he... -or- she... -or (hard mode)- yo/em/er/ers
  •  

sandrauk

•  

DriftingCrow

Alright I was trying to get all the boxes to match one of the rows on the container.

All the yellows look the same.

(I am trying to test my homemade shampoos. The pH is supposed to be no higher than 7).
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •