Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"You've made your bed, now lie in it."

Started by insideontheoutside, December 28, 2013, 07:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insideontheoutside

I'm sure most people have heard this old saying before, but for anyone who hasn't, it's basically just saying that you have to accept the consequences of whatever actions you've done, even if they're unpleasant.

I can't tell you how many times over my life that this saying has ran through my head when it comes to gender issues though. Because of my choices or decisions on things, because of my non-action, or because of my actions, I've had to accept and live with the consequences.

But recently I've started to think about this old saying and realize that not all choices/decisions/actions cause permanent unpleasantness. Taking this metaphor farther, who would want to continue to lay in a bed without ever changing the sheets? Or putting on a new blanket or something? The bed can be changed, and therefore your actions that led you to be lying in that metaphorical bed, can be modified by other actions.

Does anyone else have any old sayings that they've clung to over the years and related to their gender issues?

Also, what is one positive way you can change the bed you're lying in right at this moment?
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

dalebert

I finally moved my bed to a warmer room in my apt.

Ms. OBrien CVT

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" - My Dad.

I just added a heating blanket to the bed.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

justpat

Adapt and survive has been my life's motto. From being in the service to living life the thought has served me well.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora I,

Does anyone else have any old sayings that they've clung to over the years and related to their gender issues?

"This too will pass!" It's never failed me yet...

Also, what is one positive way you can change the bed you're lying in right at this moment?

By replacing the worn out nails with sharper ones ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Cindy

One step at a time.

But then you fall over if you take two at once!
  •  

DriftingCrow

I don't think I've really related this to my gender issues, but there's always that saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too". I've always been confused by this saying, what's the point of having cake if you're not going to eat it?
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

"A journey of a thousand miles ( 1609.344 Kms for the metric people) begins with the first step !" lao Tzu

Keep on walking don't look back

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: LearnedHand on December 28, 2013, 10:47:37 PM
I don't think I've really related this to my gender issues, but there's always that saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too". I've always been confused by this saying, what's the point of having cake if you're not going to eat it?

That's one I like ... The meaning is like, "you can't have it both ways" .... Once you start eating the cake it's gone. However I believe you can have it both ways (I pretty much live that one!)
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

Randi

"All's well that ends....."   It doesn't necessarily have to end "well", it just has to end!
  •  

LordKAT

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. No wonder parents are so hard to teach on gender issues.
  •  

JoanneB

Baby steps is the best summation for mine.

I am often faced with taking on major projects, often nearly or completely on my own. At first they seem insurmountable. No way to fininsh in time.

"Just keep chipping away at it till you are done"
"Go for the low hanging fruit first"

Little things that get accomplished give hope, relieve fears of being overwhelmed. THe more you knock off the braver you get to tackle the bigger scary ones. This was and still is my philosophy in taking on the trans beast. One final big scary task left
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

suzifrommd

"Everything happens for a reason"

True. But sometimes the reason is pure dumb bad luck.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: JoanneB on December 29, 2013, 06:38:35 AM
"Just keep chipping away at it till you are done"
"Go for the low hanging fruit first"

Little things that get accomplished give hope, relieve fears of being overwhelmed. THe more you knock off the braver you get to tackle the bigger scary ones. This was and still is my philosophy in taking on the trans beast. One final big scary task left

I've gotten a lot done lately that I had been procrastinating on by applying this philosophy. It feels really good.

gennee

Be who you are.

Don't let others define who you are.

Better late than never.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

laurenb

"Keep passing the open windows"

John Irving fans will get this one...
  •  

Oriah

•  

Beth Andrea

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! ( <--Yes, I've used this during transition as well as other times in my life...I try hard to not be timid)

Love the other sayings in this thread, too.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Oriah

•  

Jennygirl

I just found one recently that I liked a lot...

The blossoming of one flower is merely a reminder that all flowers are made to blossom.

Help water each other's flowers because they will all someday be beautiful.

We are all in this thing called life together :)
  •