Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Any transgender pre-med students?

Started by Lex Jordan, January 25, 2014, 12:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex Jordan

Are there any trans folk who have pursued medical or graduate school? Did you discuss your transition within personal statements on applications? I originally went to college to become a doctor or physcian assistant, but I took a break for a number of reasons. I'm getting back on track and finishing the prerequisites. Can anyone offer any advice?
  •  

Flan

The best advice I have for a fellow future doctor is manage expectations around the practice itself, and work on references/volunteer history more than sheer GPA and MCAT numbers. I'm still getting prerequisites also so I'm kinda in the same boat.

There are good videos around the interwebs on the interview process itself and the simulated patient encounter such as starting by checking the patient's wrist and hand instead of plunging for the jugular to get vitals. As far as the personal statement, I let my adviser know well ahead of time that I intend on specializing on trans* care (surgery and general practice) so they don't have the excuse that I "don't know" what I'll do as a MD.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Ashley Allison

I'm in Medical School so I will take a shot at your questions, but I will put out there I am in the closet about being trans.  If you feel strongly about talking in your personal statement about GID, put it in there :)

As I obviously didn't, still being in the closet and all, my best advice would be that if you do frame it into how it would relate to you being a Physician.  For example, if I theoretically wrote my application out and proud, I would say something along the lines of, "After going through my own period of struggle, exploration, and discovery regarding my own gender identity, I gained a better understanding of underserved populations. No one dreams when as a little kid of growing up and experiencing hardship, and as a physician I could apply this facet of my own identity to heal with empathy and understanding."  This being said, you have to realize your audience, and understand that there are a significant portion of bigoted Doctors out there.  I would say though that if you have a passion for trans-issues, there are those opportunities.  For example, a girl in my class did a poster/ anatomy dissection presentation, of her work with GRS.  I wish I could have told her my true identity when I walked by and she explained it to me; she wants to become an SRS surgeon, which I was impressed by. 

In response to Flan... Don't worry about Simulated Patient Encounter Videos, you learn them in medical school with much better context than you would if on your own before school.  As far as the interview process, after multiple years of applying, was connecting with the interviewers and finding what they wanted to talk about; basically showing them you are a normal person who can interact with others.  About your reference to GPA and MCAT numbers, I seriously recommend doing as best as you can.  Yes, references and volunteer history are good, it gives the interviewers something to talk about and shows you have a tad bit of insight in to the medical system.  But ultimately, this was the process at every school I had ever interviewed at, GPA/MCAT/Personal Interview/ Experiences gets you a score that ranks you on a list, and they choose from the top of this list.  A fair percentage of that score is GPA/ MCAT (My experience about half)... Do as well as you possibly can, and it is one less thing to worry about :) Also, when you do get in, you will be prepared for the massive cramming you have to do in school/ boards.

Any help you need, just let me know :)

Allison
Fly this girl as high as you can
Into the wild blue
Set me free
  •  

Lauren5

Not pre-med per se, but I intend on earning a doctorate to practise psychology.

If it wasn't for me being such a girl when it comes to blood and guts, I probably would be pre-med.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

Tristan

I pre med. I can't say I will tell. Not unless I think it will help
  •  

Jessica Merriman

I have finished enrollment for a Psychology Doctorate as well. I was very forward about my situation because number one I am Full Time now and second for housing arrangements to be made appropriately. Good luck in your studies. I personally believe that if you have nothing to hide, it cant come out to bite you later for what ever reason. :) You might just inspire someone along the way!
  •