Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My relationship with God

Started by Adam (birkin), February 25, 2014, 01:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam (birkin)

This is something I don't really talk about with anyone. I think I see it as related to the idea of not letting your right hand know what your left hand is doing. As far as anyone in my life is concerned, I am an atheist. I lost my faith around age 18, when I realized that there was no way to reconcile my acceptance of homosexuality and transsexuality with the church teachings. I read and know the debates on Bible passages, but to me, both sides seem to be grasping at straws too much - which is why I lost my religion. I also believe that if we truly knew the answers, the world wouldn't be so messed up, but that's another story.

But lately...I don't really know exactly why, but I have found myself thinking about God a lot more. And my conception of God, being raised Catholic, is the closest to the Christian God. I don't really know how I feel about Jesus being the son of God, so I guess that I can't really call myself a Christian since a central tenet of that faith is the acceptance of Jesus as savior.

But as I said, I only really understand God in the Christian sense which is why I am posting this here. Every now and again, I talk to God, and honestly, it really does make a difference in my life. But I've been reticent with God. Sometimes I think I want to pray, but just...don't. I find myself subconsciously pushing the notion aside and distracting myself with another activity. Like I literally think "I could talk to God about this" but then go play a video game or something. I can think of a few reasons why that might be:

1) I'm angry at God for making me transsexual. I feel like sometimes I shouldn't be angry because honestly, I think of it as a birth defect and I doubt God makes babies handicapped. I'm more of a Deist in that sense that I don't believe God really interferes with earthly things, at least not directly. And when I have it so much better than so many others, if anything, I should be thanking God because I have it pretty darn good. But that anger does seep in. I feel like there is a purpose for my life, but my life is so hard to live, on the verge of impossible, when I think about the possibility of never blending in with other men. To society, if they know of my history, I am always the "other." Sometimes I wonder if this is a test. To accept my situation fully, and entirely, and then act in spite of the pain it causes me. I know at some point I will have to make peace with the fact that I was not born like other men...but I am not there just yet.

2) I have guilt and a lot of trouble feeling grateful, because I can't fathom why I was born with so many advantages when so many others suffer. I'm not poor. I wasn't born in World War II and sent to a concentration camp, I wasn't a Chinese woman in Nanking. I wasn't born and sold as a child sex slave. I was born in a time where there is, for those who have access, an abundance of resources. I am educated. I am not addicted to drugs. So why would I have so many advantages? Why was I so lucky, and why are others not? How can I make the best of not only my suffering, as a transsexual, but also of the enormous abundance of gifts that I have been given?

3) I have an intellectual struggle with this too. I'm all too familiar the observation that God is a "God of the gaps" - the idea of God fills in the things that we don't understand. Like what happens after death. Prior to this, God was used to explain a lot of scientific mysteries that have now been attributed to  physical, earthly causes. Plus I think religion often helps fill the gaps of our suffering...I can't deny that I accidentally stumbled across something religious when I was looking for answers to my emotional suffering. I found a woman who had suffered emotionally, but found her strength in God - and it made me reconsider that perhaps I did, after all, need God. So am I doing what people often say religious people do, using God as a crutch because I am incapable of living life for myself?

I've considered going and talking to a priest...but I only know of one that I trust, and think of as wise, and it's the one at the church my mother and grandmother go to each week. And I was an alter server there for many years so he might recognize me, despite my changes (though, I cut my hair, got fat, and grew a beard so maybe not lol). If I talk to a priest, I don't want to bring up my transition because this is a much deeper spiritual concern and I don't want that being the focus of my discussion. I don't even care if they are LGBT friendly or not, because again, outing myself and discussing my trans stuff with anyone is an absolute no go.
  •  

gennee

I can understand your feelings, Birkin. I've run into it a lot. First, church teachings are man-make and so are denominations. Over the years I've seen the church having to change its positions on such topics as slavery, women, gay rights, war, and other topics.

God created you as you are. I am transgender and very happy about it. I never knew I was until 8 1/2 years. It was hidden from me until it was the right time for God to reveal it to me. It's sad that society frowns on many things that are different from the norm. It doesn't matter to God because he's used people who were different. The apostles were a motley crew to say the least. Amos was a shepherd. David was a shepherd who would be king. Some like Jeremiah were poor.

Your questions regarding war is a common one. God never took away our free will. Man chose to go his own way and there are always consequences with the actions and decision we make.

The fact that you feel better after praying is a positive. Possibly God is doing a new work in your life. When I came out, I re-examined some of my thoughts and opinions by studying the scriptures again. It lead me to conclude that God loves gay, lesbian, and transgender people. He shows no partiality towards anyone.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Satinjoy

Wow you have a lot of stuff in there

The thing that always blew me away was the clear support I recieve in prayer with Christ and His Holy Spirit.  I reject categorically the idea that we use God as a crutch, that we rationalize, etc.  I am reliant on God for everything, and unlike you I came out of a condemned apartment in NY and had to get sober or die.  And I am very glad that was my path, it changes everything.

But in the fight with the head, the heart, and the scriptures, God living in our hearts bears witness that He does not reject us and is here to help us.  You have that witness in your heart.  Please trust it.

As to the other issues, if you give them to Him to sort out and let go, and ask Him to just clear the way for you to experience Him without interference, you can have a life you may never have dreamed possible.

There is great pain with being TS.  The question becomes, how can I either use this for His glory, or find a way of understanding that He makes us in ways that please Him and draws us close to Him.

Guilt over circumstances is unneeded, there is a reason for your prosperity and it enables you to help others physically.   That would be harder if you did not have the circumstances.  Some are entrusted with that, some are entrusted with not having much and being wealthy spritually and in Grace.

God Bless, I hope you find that precious connection you seek.  The answer lies in prayer.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

Sh'e took the little blue ones.
  •  

Jess42

Too many times I believe we break the commandment of having graven images of God, even in our own minds. I really believe that the comprehension of God or the Creator is so far out of our grasp of understanding that we tend to bring God down more to our level instead of trying to ascend our minds or consciousness to more of God's level. Some things that we perceive in a physical world as a curse may actually be a blessing. For example I am trans. God I wanted to have been born a woman sooooo badly, to be feminine instead of masculine. This seems like a curse if I tend to look at it from a physical perspective. But it made me ask a lot of questions, allowed me to search different alternatives than just one view of Spirituality which in my childhood would have been Pentecostal. The thing it allowed me to understand that God was not so much in the Bible but rather the Living God is in our hearts and minds. The Bible is a book of words and stories. Those stories are the same today as they were yesterday, they are engraved in stone. You can believe in God even if it goes against today's popular teachings, doctrines, other's perceptions or anything else. Your perceptions of God should be unique to you and you should remember that other's perceptions are unique to them and not limited to a book but as unlimited as our consciousness, however many there may be. You should have your own relationship with God, not someone else's I believe in God a Creator. I believe in a Christ that came as a teacher. I believe in the return of that entity but not in the way most Christians believe. I believe in reincarnation. I believe in the Holy Trinity and all of that and I am not Christian. If I had to label I would have to say that I am Gnostic. I am Spiritual because my Spirtuality is mine and is molded by my life experiences, failures and successes. Yes I read the Bible but also other texts and see them as more of historical in the way of Spirituality and man's ideas of trying to comprehend the uncomprehensible.
  •  

mowdan6

Not sure what more I can say that what has been said.  I know that it is only because of my faith in God, that I can get up everyday and deal with the hardships I deal with.  God's promises are true.  He says, in Romans 8:28, " God causes all things to work together for good to those that love Him.  to those that are called according to His purpose."  It doesn't mean I won't face hardship and trials.  it does mean that through the hardship, if I keep my heart set on God, it will all work out for my good.  As someone else said, I rely on God for everything.  I know that without God in my life, I would be nothing.  Actually I know where I would be.  I would be one of the homeless alcoholics so many of us see.  Or, I would  be dead.  I know many of us question why God made us trans.  I don't have an answer.  all I know is God's ways are higher and better than mine.  And yea, God made me trans.  And maybe God made you trans as a way to reach others that would not listen to you otherwise.
  •  

amZo

Religion has always frustrated me. Everyone else seemed to accept the Bible on faith, I never could and it wasn't from a lack of trying. I've never been comfortable with atheism either, again not from a lack of trying.

I've always had a strong sense of spirituality, that all of this 'stuff' is by design which had a Creator. Everything I've learned about science leads me to believe the universe is an intelligent design of some sort, which would include evolution assuming it's how living beings are formed.

I feel very comfortable now in my Spirituality, I don't need to know specifics, I just can't believe the universe sprang from nothing. Initially, it had nothing in its midst to form life, but the entire code was all there. The big bang was one event that had all this design, it wasn't infinite possibilities with natural selection choosing the 'right' direction... i.e., evolution, all that came later presumably.

Finding my Spirituality has been a huge positive in my life.
  •  

mowdan6

I agree Nikko.  Faith can be a hard concept for many.  but believing this world sprang from nothing, that my ancestors were monkeys?  Who in their right mind could believe that?  Yea faith can be tough, and as Jesus said, " Blessed are those that have not seen and believe.." 
  •  

amZo

Quote from: mowdan6 on March 13, 2014, 04:25:13 PM
I agree Nikko.  Faith can be a hard concept for many.  but believing this world sprang from nothing, that my ancestors were monkeys?  Who in their right mind could believe that?  Yea faith can be tough, and as Jesus said, " Blessed are those that have not seen and believe.."

I tend to view the various religions as attempts to explain or describe what most people believe must be. Not out of fear or desire, but rather it's just something that's inside all of us.

Yeah, I don't feel I came from a monkey either!  :D

•  

Jess42

Quote from: Nikko on March 13, 2014, 04:37:56 PM
I tend to view the various religions as attempts to explain or describe what most people believe must be. Not out of fear or desire, but rather it's just something that's inside all of us.

Yeah, I don't feel I came from a monkey either!  :D

Oh come on. Am I the only one that flings poop at people? But seriously though human beings are primates but whatever primate that humans evolved from is long gone. There even seems to be breaks between the earliest hominids and modern humans. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I want to say that I read somewhere that chimpanzees and humans share 99% of the same DNA. Regardless though it is funny that humans are the only primates that have evolved like we have. Gorillas are still gorillas, chimpanzees are still chimpanzees. It just seems like we were set on the fast track of evolution beyond any other animal on this planet.
  •  

amZo

Quote from: Jess42 on March 13, 2014, 05:25:17 PM
Oh come on. Am I the only one that flings poop at people? But seriously though human beings are primates but whatever primate that humans evolved from is long gone. There even seems to be breaks between the earliest hominids and modern humans. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I want to say that I read somewhere that chimpanzees and humans share 99% of the same DNA. Regardless though it is funny that humans are the only primates that have evolved like we have. Gorillas are still gorillas, chimpanzees are still chimpanzees. It just seems like we were set on the fast track of evolution beyond any other animal on this planet.

(note: just saw the "and woman..." depicting the bottom pic, thought it was a depiction of monkey evolution... just tryin' to avoid another 'Hate Speech' smite...   ;))
  •  

Jess42

Oh well. At least the top part is correct. It just sux that it was hit on women. No hate speech smite here. :)
  •  

amZo

Quote from: Jess42 on March 13, 2014, 06:01:18 PM
Oh well. At least the top part is correct. It just sux that it was hit on women. No hate speech smite here. :)

You raised an interesting point though. So now I'm wondering if today's monkey will be human one day. Will we still be humans? Will we get along with these new humans? Just all seems impossible.

Sorry Mowdan6, didn't mean to get off topic.  :)
  •  

mowdan6

Hey Jess.  If you want to believe your ancestors were monkeys.  So be it.  I know I was created by an almighty God.  He knew me before I even breathed a breath.  And He knows all my days.  He created me as I am.  A transman.  I might never know the reason why, but I do know that God's ways are higher and better than I could ever think.  And I know I did not come from a monkey.
  •  

Satinjoy

There are so many prophesies fulfilled in the Bible, so many experiences that are the result of prayer, so much that is so important and such a wonderful way of escape from this world later... I would be dead without Christ, I would never have met my wife, and I can go on and on.  The answers are in prayer and getting that connection, and a good understanding of the whole word.

The darwinian theory falls apart scientifically.  I won't get into that, but there is plenty of literature arround.  The odds against that theory working are insane.

But we get to change in a big way...  :)
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

Sh'e took the little blue ones.
  •  

mowdan6

•  

Jess42

Quote from: mowdan6 on March 13, 2014, 06:28:35 PM
Hey Jess.  If you want to believe your ancestors were monkeys.  So be it.  I know I was created by an almighty God.  He knew me before I even breathed a breath.  And He knows all my days.  He created me as I am.  A transman.  I might never know the reason why, but I do know that God's ways are higher and better than I could ever think.  And I know I did not come from a monkey.

No, I'm not saying that my ancestors were actually monkeys although some of my relatives are questionable though. ;) No, what I was saying that what eventually evolved, The earliest hominid, into people that we see today would be long gone. We may never find the missing link if there even is one because I really don't know how the human race came about but do tend to believe in both sides, if that is even possible. But don't forget that the same God that created us also created monkeys and pretty much everything we know, see and feel. I do believe in evolution but rather instead of Darwinian thoughts about it I believe that the be all and end all was created to evolve. If you stop and think about evolution throughout the history of this planet, there seems to be some sort of intelligence behind it along with perfect timing. Especially for the human race to get where we are today. Look at where we were 200 years ago compared to now. Where will we be in another 200 years if we don't self destruct.

Quote from: Nikko on March 13, 2014, 06:09:33 PM
You raised an interesting point though. So now I'm wondering if today's monkey will be human one day. Will we still be humans? Will we get along with these new humans? Just all seems impossible.

Sorry Mowdan6, didn't mean to get off topic.  :)

I don't know but really don't think so because if todays monkeys or apes were meant to evolve it would probably be a simultaneous evolution along with mankind. Again not saying that we come from monkeys, now everyone's gonna' think I actually sling my poop at passersby ;), but seriously I've heard and read everything that supposedly put us on the fastrack from discovering fire and cooking meat and the changes of the protein in cooked meat compared to raw meat led to our brains evolving to higher intelligence levels. I've also heard it's having opposable thumbs compared to other primates to being forced to walk upright by the disappearance of trees to just plain moving from forestland to grasslands. None of which I really believe whole heartedly. All I really know is that there are great mysteries that may never be solved. That the universe is like a expansive self sustaining machine where birth and death are natural cycles from galaxies to stars and all the way down to living beings on this planet. Einstein's theories that energy can be transformed but not destroyed and energy is what keeps us breathing and animated, thinking and so on. I tend to try to keep my mind open about God because like I said in my first post in this thread that I believe God is so far above our comprehension that all we get are bits and pieces and feelings. I never get into arguments about theologies even though I know I may make some people mad with mine but I tend to think that all theologies and sciences are just pieces of one great big puzzle. I think the best thing for mankind would be if all religions and sciences came together to try and figure the puzzle instead of arguments over where the pieces fit. But that's just my opinions and beliefs.
  •