Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"Ode To The Brain" A musical number^_^

Started by Anatta, March 07, 2014, 10:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

I think I posted this a while back, but anyway here it is again....Just for the fun of it  ;)

So here's a little food for thought :

Symphony Of Science :

Enjoy what's going on inside your brain right NOW....

Metta Anatta :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Neuroplasticity = rewiring the brain, creating new neuropathways....DIY... How cool is that ::)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Jamie D

You could become a completely new person!
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on March 09, 2014, 01:40:37 AM
You could become a completely new person!

Kia Ora Jamie,

I am... as every moment passes by...

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Anatta on March 09, 2014, 01:55:51 AM
Kia Ora Jamie,

I am... as every moment passes by...

Perhaps.

See "Ship of Theseus" paradox
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on March 09, 2014, 03:10:53 AM
Perhaps.

See "Ship of Theseus" paradox

Kia Ora Jamie,

Interesting...But are the pieces of timber used to rebuild the ship constantly changing- gradually breaking down, decaying, from the moment they are cut from the tree ? In this case the term "The same" can and should only mean "similar to"...

To the observer/onlooker their concept/idea "mental image" must shift with every new piece of timber put into place, until something "similar" comes to mind....

As usual I could be wrong....Hence why I'm always open to change  ;) ;D

•  

Jamie D

Anatta, I think this should be on the Philosophy board!!

It seems that the underlying issue in one of contiguity or continuity.  Parts of our bodies are "original issue."  Other parts (i.e. blood cells, etc) are being constantly replaced.  Yet, we retain a sense of unique identity.

Decartes noted Cogito ergo sum, "I think, therefore I am."  If my essence is derived from my sense of self, rather than from the bundle of tissues comprising my body, than I remain the same, even as I physically or intellectually grow.
  •