Main Menu

Fred Phelps Is 'On The Edge of Death'

Started by Anatta, March 17, 2014, 11:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Fred Phelps Is 'On The Edge of Death'

HUFFPOST LIVE

According to his estranged son, Fred Phelps, the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, is dying. The Church is notorious for picketing military and gay funerals with homophobic signs. What's the right way to view his passing?

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/westboro-baptist-church-founder-on-the-edge-of-death/5321c5f5fe34441f8c0001c7

Metta Anatta :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

debpossible

Personally, I feel sorry for him. He wasted his whole life as an ugly, angry authoritarian and now it's all ending.

If want to feel the compassion for him that he denied others.
  •  

Sarah Louise

I'm sorry when any human dies.   I'm sorry for his family, but myself, personally, I don't know the man and it doesn't worry me one way or the other.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Shantel

All he and his group did is give Christianity a black eye as outsiders invariably end up painting all Christians with that same broad tainted brush, it's unfortunate but I'm sure he won't be missed by many, especially the families of all who were taunted and harassed by this evil man.
  •  

Calder Smith

Manchester United diehard fan.
  •  

Jill F

Can I picket this closet job's funeral, or should I just get in line?

Westboro Batsh%t Cult- who would miss it?
  •  

big kim

•  

Jessica Merriman

Now he can worry about being "outed" as a bigot in the after life. Sorry, I cant be more compassionate, but they picketed my best friends funeral when he died in Kandahar! Neither he nor his family did anything to deserve the disrespect at all. :( Rot in whatever you go to Fred-o!
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

He has spend a life time filled with hatred, and to carry this much hate around, he too must have suffered from a deeply tormented/unstable/delusional mind... 

All I can say, is that I hope he will finally find the true peace that comes from being free of ignorance/delusion...

::) But he had made his own bed/hell...so no doubt (if the delusional state still prevails) he will end up lying/burning in it....

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Jill F on March 18, 2014, 01:33:17 PM
Can I picket this closet job's funeral, or should I just get in line?

Unless I am mistaken, I read in another article that the WBC is actually going to protest Fred's funeral (he was excommunicated).
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Nimrata (aka LH) on March 18, 2014, 07:26:15 PM
Unless I am mistaken, I read in another article that the WBC is actually going to protest Fred's funeral (he was excommunicated).
*facepalm*  Why does this figure?  If they're going to protest it, whom is left to even attend it or to bother organizing one?   Sounds like this move was highly calculated.
  •  

ErinWDK

Quote from: Nimrata (aka LH) on March 18, 2014, 07:26:15 PM

You are correct that he was excommunicated.  It is just plain in bad taste to picket ANYBODY'S funeral - even his - so I hope that doesn't happen.
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

I will celebrate the day that he dies by recording a Noise track. The guy is a scumbag. He deserves no respect in life or in death. He and his ilk are the scum of the earth. I don't believe in giving anyone a pass at any time. Even though I am not a religious person, I agree with others who say that he gave their faith a massive black eye. If there is an afterlife, he is in for a very rude awakening.
  •  

Hikari

I am admittedly a little petty, selfish, and hypocritical so it doesn't hurt me at all to say I wish him a swift exit from life, along with the rest of his "Church". I also don't believe in God or Karma, but if I am wrong those people are buying up negative Karma at such a rate as to surely doom themselves.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Ev

Honestly, I never knew the man so I really can't care either way if he lives or dies.  I have met (and meet) people far more hateful in person than the way the media portrayed him...now those people, I can do without.  This is between him and all the people he impacted directly.  The joy and sorrow is theirs.  And to that, I say, it is what it is. 

I find it a waste of time to worry about this stuff too much.  As cold as it sounds, thousands (easy) die every day and if I felt remorse for each one, I would wither and die of sorrow.  I can't (and won't) do that to myself.  I have a soft heart I have to wrap in a thin layer of stone for the simple reason that it bleeds easy.

I don't believe in the afterlife.  In the end, we are all equal.  Dust.  C'est la vie.

Enjoy the ride that is life while you can, and let guys like this go away.  Over time, he will be lost to history.  Let's speed up the process and just pretend he (specifically) never existed.  There are too many beautiful people out there who would appreciate our kindness and an ingrate like this isn't one of them.  Spend your time and energy on those who will reciprocate somehow.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Washington Post
Steven Petrow is a former president of the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association

On Sunday night, the estranged son of Rev. Fred Phelps Sr. posted on Facebook that his father, the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, was near death. From then until his death was formally announced today, Phelps became a trending topic on social media, with the discussion centered on this question: Might it be a cause for celebration?

So, with Phelps's passing, I suggest we bombard Westboro Baptist with sympathy cards and prayers. Or, as a friend of mine tells me: "Drive your enemies really crazy: Love them." Okay, maybe not love, but at least not hate. Never hate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/fred-phelps-preached-hate-but-his-death-is-no-reason-to-celebrate/2014/03/20/0fd06408-b050-11e3-95e8-39bef8e9a48b_story.html

•