Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Sent a letter

Started by AdamMLP, March 22, 2014, 10:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamMLP

Yesterday I sent a letter to a teacher I haven't seen or spoken to for four years.  It's something that I've felt I've needed to do ever since I last saw him.  I just never thanked him enough for saving my life, and making such a difference to it, or apologised properly for all the stress and trouble I put him through trying to make sure I was okay.

It probably was a completely daft thing to do.  I ended up coming out to him in it as well, it was just something that I thought was important to explain because it explains a lot of why I was as depressed and lonely as I was as a child.  I've never wanted him thinking that there was more that he could have done and that he failed me in anyway.  And partly because he was a father-figure to me, and it's important to me that he knows, regardless of if he ever responds or remembers me.  I couldn't pretend to be someone that I'm not either, it was hard enough writing my birthname to let him know who I am.

I'm not sure if I regret it or not, I'm not sure if I should have done it, I'm not sure if I'll feel worse if I get a reply or if I don't.  All I know is that it's in the hands of Royal Mail now.  Hopefully it'll stop me having dreams where I finally get to see him again and get to apologise and explain how grateful I really am.
  •  

Nero

That's awesome! Well, no matter how it goes, at least you know you said it.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

AdamMLP

My friend sent an email to her teacher from last year explaining a lot of stuff and I thought, "If she's got the guts to do it then so can I. It might have been longer ago for me, but the need to do it isn't going away and one day he's going to retire and I'm going to miss my chance to say what I need to say."
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi lxndr,
That's one of the most nicest things you can do. I know many teachers who receive letters long after students have passed through their life, and it does make a huge difference to them, knowing they have made a difference in someone's life.

Teaching in the main is a pretty thankless career and it's these moments that makes it worthwhile.

Always remember, an attitude of gratitude will take you a long way in life.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Edge

I second what Catherine Sarah said. It will likely mean a great deal to him.

I wonder if he'll reply. Let us know if it's not too private?
  •  

AdamMLP

Thanks, it's put my mind to rest that you lot think it's a good idea.  It's been on my mind for a long time but I've always thought it was too weird to actually do it.  If I hear anything back off him I'll let you lot know, I'll probably need somewhere to vent my feelings afterwards anyway!
  •  

Ms Grace

Yes, it was very nice thing to do. The many good teachers out there always like to know that they have made a difference and helped. Hope you get a wonderful reply.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

AdamMLP

I woke up to an email this morning. I don't dare read it yet though.
  •  

FTMDiaries

With any luck, that email will be wonderful. People rarely contact you after receiving such a letter if they're not accepting. If your teacher has taken the time & trouble to write back, there's a good chance that he's supportive.

If not, just stop reading as soon as you get to a bad bit, and delete it.

Good luck!

•  

AdamMLP

Let's just say I had happy tears within the first 2 sentences. He wants to meet up at some point, so I just have to arrange getting to that part of the country again.
  •  

Edge

•  

AdamMLP

I now have lots of odd emotions that I don't even know what they are.  I put off posting here about it because I thought they would pass, but it doesn't seem like they are going to any time soon.  I had to do the hour and a quarter walk back from work today instead of getting the bus just to calm myself down enough to sit still.  I'm so nervous, pleased, and terrified all at the same time.  It's likely that I'll not hear from him for a month now due to school holidays (I have no idea if he has access to his school e-mails outside of there), which is annoying because Easter was the only time it would be reasonably easy to see him.  And I'm probably going to be dealing with a lot of tension until I get it over and done with and I get to see him.

This is just something that I never anticipated, and I'm just not used to strong emotions.  I don't know how to deal with it.
  •  

Christinetobe

For starters congratulations on doing something most people do not.  I am sure he loved hearing from you and is looking forward to speaking with you.  I know that many people never hear back from the peoples life's that we have changed.  I have been a nurse for 20 plus years and there was never anything more gratifying than when a former patient would come back just to say thank you and show you how they were doing.  I hope you get to see him soon and thank you for sharing what is truly a very touching story
As Brett Michaels said Every Night Has its Dawn :)
  •