Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Building A Better Understanding Of The Transgender Community

Started by Shana A, June 15, 2014, 08:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Building A Better Understanding Of The Transgender Community
maria shriver

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/maria-shriver/building-better-understanding-transgender-community-n123436

What does it mean to be transgender? You might know the answer to the question, or you might think that you do, but with awareness of the transgender experience on the rise, it's clear that there is a distance to go in educating the public about the diversity within the transgender community and the appropriate, respectful ways to talk about it.

Activist and filmmaker George Zuber is meeting that challenge head-on with his new documentary "Just Gender," an exploration of the many facets of the transgender experience and the day-to-day realities of transgender individuals. The film screens across the country this month in conjunction with LGBT Pride Month.

"Just Gender" tackles several fundamental misconceptions: gender identity and sexual orientation are not the same thing; the transgender spectrum encompasses many different kinds of gender expression and includes cross-dressers; transition is not a one-size-fits all process and does not necessarily include surgery.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

suzifrommd

Does anyone know if this guy is trans? I know it shouldn't matter, but it's way past the time for us to stop allowing cisgender people tell the world who we are.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

HoneyStrums

Quote from: suzifrommd on June 15, 2014, 01:56:32 PM
Does anyone know if this guy is trans? I know it shouldn't matter, but it's way past the time for us to stop allowing cisgender people tell the world who we are.

Are you frightened about Nip and Tuck editing?
Because As long as the focus of the documentary is on "Trans" telling their stories does it matter?

All I can say Is when Is this on? I watched the video And It does seem to have a Trans person focus, with a historical focus on gender variance too :)
  •