Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: LizK on September 27, 2018, 05:42:03 AM
Love to hear your thoughts on this book... :D

Hi Liz,
  Pay day on the 23rd - I will buy Kindle/ Audible. I will let you know my thoughts- I love talking books. Following your posts at the moment. My thoughts are with you - fantastic times! The atmosphere is electric at the moment! I'm also a little bit envious just quietly.

Wishing you smooth sailing over the next few weeks - I love hearing your story - so valuable - loaded with facts & feelings.

Yours truly, Kirsten.
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

wonderland

I love reading and can't wait to combine through the entirety of this thread to find new gems.

I picked up "Nine Perfect Strangers" by Liane Moriarty today.

I finished Tana French's "The Tresspasser" and loved it.
  •  

Kylo

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kylo on November 27, 2018, 03:42:32 AM
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
This dude recommended Jordan Petersons " Maps of Meaning" I'm going through the PDF version and the Audio version. So far fascinating stuff.

Scratching the surface of Peterson and finding it runs quite deep.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Nina

Pacific Crest Trials - A Psychological and emotion guide to successfully thru-hiking the Pacific Crest Trail - by Zack Davis and Carly Moree
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on November 27, 2018, 04:16:54 AM
This dude recommended Jordan Petersons " Maps of Meaning" I'm going through the PDF version and the Audio version. So far fascinating stuff.

Scratching the surface of Peterson and finding it runs quite deep.

Glad you're finding it of interest. Some books on myth and applied philosophy can be intensely dry and boring, but JP's methods are much more accessible for the layman like me.   
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Artistic_Gene

I am reading two books right now. One is Challenging Genders by Micheal Eric Brown and Day Walker Burill, and it's about nonbinary AFAB individuals. The other is Before I Had the Words by Skylar Kergil, which is about his transition and philosophy on gender.

I find both to be very interesting and comprehensive while not being dryly academic about their facts. I also connect with so many of the stories of the nonbinary AFAB people (Challenging Genders was just published this year) that I really needed lately. I've been feeling so detached from the community and my identity for the past year or so. I would recommend them to anyone that wants to read on the trans experience or connect with other narratives.
Copious lukewarm cucumbers for a brain
  •  

Jenanydots0612

I am reading Still Me by JoJo Moyes, its the third book in the Me Before You series, but I am struggling to get into it. 
  •  

Kylo

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kylo on December 24, 2018, 01:05:33 AM
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
Kylo how come youre always on the high end esoteric >-bleeped-<? Now Im intrigued! If I ever saw your home library I dont think I could handle the eclectic mix of deep and meaningful & philosophical& psychological  profound & up to date topical issues.

Cant you say Im reading OK magazine right now!!

Kirsten x.

•  

Kirsteneklund7

On good authority I began Jordan Petersons "Maps of Meaning"  still reading- very good. Very appropriate to the here and now in western civilization.
Kirsten.

•  

Nina

Yet another book about long distance hiking from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail.
The book is Bliss (ters) by Gail Francis.
I'm done my first year of prepping, training for my solo attempt in 2020.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Swedishgirl96

Currently I'm reading some books about childrens mental and physical development, for my studies. I have a long queue of books that I will read when I have time for it.
La dolce vita
  •  

Kylo

The Road / The Unbearable Lightness of Being

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kylo on January 22, 2019, 08:55:08 AM
The Road / The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Have you also seen the movie version?

•  

Sussy

I'm reading now VANITY FAIR 100 YEARS: FROM THE JAZZ AGE TO OUR AGE (here https://booksrun.com/textbooks/9781419708633-vanity-fair-100-years-from-the-jazz-age-to-our-age-8-11-2013th-edition is a description of this book, so I accidentally didn't start spoiling). I read the original work of Thackeray in college a long time ago, then I started watching the serial and remembered that I really liked this book. I started looking for similar books. It seems to me that classical literature is relevant at all times.
  •  

SophiaBleu

I am reading a few books at the same time.

Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
I Am Her Tribe by Danielle Doby
unladylike by Cristen Conger and Caroline Ervin
They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.
              Gerald Massey

•  

islandgirl

'My Sweet Untraceable You' by Sandra Scoppettone. I really like her writing style! This is one of her earlier works. I have read one of her later books and her writing has, in my humble opinion, really matured. Fun and easy to read. I really like the main character's development!
  •  

graspthesanity

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, I'm loving it as much as I love any other Murakami book, a lot!

SadieBlake

Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger -- Rebecca Traister

The Price of Salt -- Patricia Highsmith (retitled "Carol" since they made a film of it)

🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •