Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeni

For myself, The Secret Garden (have to catch up on all the books I missed because as a boy I obviously couldn't read girl books.  ???  >:-)

I'm reading The Neverending Story to my son (and will continue if I can convince him that it will be a real adventure even though the hero set off without any weapons). Before that it was the Swiss Family Robinson (I guess I'm revisiting the books I did read as a boy, too). May have to read that one again because I think the edition I have is missing some parts, though I may be confusing it with other books.
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

Daft

I'm currently reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Haruki Murakami  and Daring Greatly by Brené Brown.

•  

Electric Fuzzball

I'm not reading.... I'm writing a book.

2 Moons, 1 Sun

It's a story about a lesbian couple who were traveling to a settlement on another planet. Their vessel is disrupted, sending them far off course. They land on a planet in the unknown sector and find that it is already inhabited by wildlife.

I've given a few friends a chunk of the beginning to see how I was doing... they were all amazed.
Vulynn at heart, Vulynn from the start.

Now is Gold
I see her wings, now I'm not cold
The fear is gone, and I am ready to move on
  •  

Esyllia

For school I'm reading Invisible Man but on my own time I'm just starting A Clash of Kings.
  •  

Marcia

Walking the bridgeless canyon by Kathy Baldock.
-Mark & Marcia
  •  

Elsa Delyth

Whipping Girl... although not done the introduction and I think that she's wrong already... but we'll see.
"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Emma Goldman.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

Quote from: ClaraJo on January 01, 2015, 02:23:14 AM
I got Robinson Crusoe for Christmas  :D and I'm reading I Am Legend and The Haunting of Hill House.  8)

Oooo.... I read "I am Legend" last summer.  I really enjoyed it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I kind of got the sense that this book in 1954 was kind of the precursor to the explosion of the zombie genre that followed.  What can one say but "Bravo!"

;D
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

islandgirl

I am part way through'Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Verges. A very good book but my mind seems to be wondering quite a bit these days and I have a hard time staying on one thing. So, I picked up Kate Morton's 'THe Secret Keeper' and have started reading it. Also a good book.

Wow, my dysphoria is running crazy these last couple of weeks!
  •  

Miharu Barbie

I just finished reading "A Dog's Purpose" by Bruce Cameron.  OMG!  I loved that book!  I was so sad that it ended.

I started reading Wally Lamb's "We are Water".  It's a long book, and it's too soon to say whether I'm enjoying it yet or not.

Last week I read "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides.  It's a book about an intersex person raised as a girl until the age of 15 when it was discovered that he was actually a boy with ambiguous genitalia.  It was actually a very good book (I should hope so since it's a Pulitzer Prize winner.)  I would recommend it.

Over the weekend I read "Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk.  That was one messed up book about a trans woman, a model who has just had half her face shot off, and an ex vice cop together on an insane crime spree.  I didn't like it nearly as well as I'd hoped I would.  I think the author tried too hard to be shocking; it just came off as contrived and gratuitously brutal.  Thank goodness it was short.

A couple weeks ago I read "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.  I loved that book even though it was terribly sad.  I might set with this one for a while and maybe re-read it next summer.

I also read "Agnes and the Hitman" by Jennifer Crusie.  That was just plain silly fun.

I read "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Borroughs before that; that book was awful... it just made me want to break things.

And "One Day" by David Nicholls was actually a very sweet, enjoyable and original read.  That one I'd recommend.

(I think I have too much time on my hands... I read a lot.)

•  

Miharu Barbie

Did I mention that I loved, loved, LOVED "A Dog's Purpose" by Bruce Cameron?  Super cute book!   :D

•  

Cheska

The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn
  •  

Draco

Bluh, "officially" I'm supposed to be reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, but I have the habit of starting other things out of curiosity and then getting lost in all the things I still have to read. I already bought the sequel of Prince of Thorns, and I have a small mountain of books I seriously need to finish. I'm also planning on re-reading George Orwell's 1984, because I read it a long time ago.
I also received my Hogwarts Library collection just recently, and had to instantly jump on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
Besides that, I read too much fanfiction.
  •  

Emma Winters

I'm currently reading both the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid (yes, I'm very immature, haha), and a book called Split, where it's a kid who shows up at his brother's house, trying to start a new life away from the gangs and stuff and his bad father. It's a rather good book.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

I'm 3/4 of the way through "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb.  It's sort of a depressing book.  Wally Lamb has a way of refining the worst aspects of his characters' lives and blowing them up larger than life.  The book is well written, but what a downer.

I'm also 3/4 of the way through "The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien.  (I read the first 2 books in the trilogy in October and November.)  It has elves and hobbits and dwarves and orcs... can't go wrong with that.  I've enjoyed the entire trilogy, though I liked the first and third books better than the second book.

I started reading "The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger this week, just because I felt like I needed something lighter than "We Are Water".  So far I like it.

I'm also most of the way through "Crossed" by Ally Condie (book 2 of her "Matched" trilogy.)  Again, I feel like I need something light to relieve the tension of "We Are Water".  Crossed is definitely light reading.  This trilogy is no where near as good as "Hunger Games" or "Allegiant", but it's still enjoyable.

I've been very slowly making my way through "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller over the past several months.  I read it when I was very young and really enjoyed it.  It isnt quite as good as I remember it being, but it's still very fun.  I'm almost done with it.  For those who have never read this book, I would recommend it.

•  

islandgirl

Just started another Kate Morton book, 'Distant Hours'. Looks to be another good read.
  •  

MadisonMN

I'm currently reading Proxima by Stephen Baxter! I'm a sucker for SciFi, and I haven't had much of it recently.
  •  

jeni

I've started reading "She's All That." First couple chapters seem interesting...
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

AbeLane

I just finished a book called "Beautiful Music for Ugly Children" by Kirstin Cronn-Mills. It's a book about a transguy during his senior year and the summer after graduation. Even though it's a book gear towards young adults, I would highly recommend this book to someone of any age looking for a character who can relate a bit to their trans related struggles.
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
-e. e. cummings

"I still believe in heroes."
-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

Kalex

Im reading Physics for scientists and engineers (I have a final and dont understand anything) and Seizure by Robin Cook, almost finish this one
Just because you spend a lot of time with someone doesnt mean you know their darkest secrets
  •  

DriftingCrow

Blue Labyrinth by Preston & Child (the latest in the Special Agent Pendergast series)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •