Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

vitamins and health risk

Started by Jessica90, June 26, 2014, 08:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are vitamins ok?

Yes
4 (80%)
no
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Jessica90

Ok so I've read multiple studies and been looking online and just curious on people's thoughts there's alot of studies out that say multi vitamins are a waist can stress the liver and just not worth anyone's times I got this just grabbed a little from webmd any thoughts on it ? Brenda Goodman

HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, Dec. 16, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- With three new studies finding that a daily multivitamin won't help boost the average American's health, the experts behind the research are urging people to abandon use of the supplements.

The studies found that popping a daily multivitamin didn't ward off heart problems or memory loss, and wasn't tied to a longer life span.

The studies, published in the Dec. 17 issue of the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, found that multivitamin and mineral supplements did not work any better than placebo pills.

Dietary supplements are a multibillion-dollar industry in the United States, and multivitamins account for nearly half of all vitamin sales, according to the U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements.

But a growing body of evidence suggests that multivitamins offer little or nothing in the way of health benefits, and some studies suggest that high doses of certain vitamins might cause harm.

As a result, the authors behind the new research said it's time for most people to stop taking them.

Jessica
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Most foods contain all we need on a daily basis. Sure there are exceptions to this if a person is having a particular issue such as low iron or pre natal vitamins. I feel it is just an industry geared to the profit margins myself and spreading false hopes. Specialty supplement stores really rake in the profits and most of their "supplements" are not evaluated or regulated by the FDA. At the Fire Department one time we did a study of our own (I know not scientific) with half the shift taking supplements and the other half not. Physical testing revealed no performance increase in the supplement group and those who did not take them. That proved it to me.  :)
  •  

Jessica90

Jm that's kinda my thought I use to take them but after ready so much a daily vitamin just seems kind of ridiculous I've herd people say you need to take it because your body needs more to change and if you look at most vitamins there like 200-300% daily normal intake at that amount it's putting your liver in overdrive just for that not to mention what ever else you put in yoir body
Jessica
  •  

immortal gypsy

My vitamin D levels use to be very low,  (about 1/2 way between low and malnourished and still dropping). My neurophysiologist told me to start taking a specific vitamin D supplement and what dosage.  After about a year it was back into the recommend range.  Now I hadn't changed my diet,  lifestyle or medication so they did work for me. Possibly vitamins and supplements do work but only for people who are sufficient in that vitamin or mineral. However without regular blood work (expensive) how will we know
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

luna nyan

For most people on a balanced diet, no.  Multi vitamins are a waste of money and you are better off making better food decisions.  Unless you have a specific deficiency of metabolic disorder, you are better off saving your money.  The health risk from taking them is minimal - if there is excess, they generally are metabolised and passed through.

As age sets in, yes they may have a place in helping to maintain quality of life.  Taking them prior to when you need them/will benefit from them is not necessary.

The only one I take is vit D, and that is because it has been consistently low on blood tests.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •