Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A wig for me

Started by Annabella, July 11, 2014, 11:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riotgrrrl

I agree with what sam says and I know this one would look great on you I've been wanting to get it myself. http://hairsisters.com/en/wigs/freetress-equal/freetress-equal-synthetic-invisible-l-part-wig-softy/index.php I personally think a brown hair color with an ombre blonde would look great on you. The blonde in my opinion washes you out alittle.
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
- Maya Angelou
  ☽O☾ Blessed Be
  •  

Julia-Madrid

Annabella, the best way to see what wigs will work for you is to try some at a store.  In my experience the catalogue photos are misleading and may require you to spend considerable time styling them, if they're able to deal with the heat.

It would also be good to go shopping for wigs with a family member, trust me.  They will give you honest feeback.  Friends might be more inclined to go for something dramatic rather than something that just makes you look like you.

Also, you really do get what you pay for.  My first one cost €130 and after three weeks looked so artifical that I threw it out.  The second one was €300 and didn't look bad, but was blond which was not ideal.  The one you see in my avatar was €350, it looks 100% natural, everyone thinks it looks great, and I will almost miss it once my hair grows out :D
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: riotgrrrl on July 18, 2014, 10:32:21 AM...I'm not sure if you know this but synthetic hair TANGLES horribly especially if its longer.

OMG yes, it's like trying to organize a bale of hay! Thank you so much for the suggestions I will check them out! So much good advice!

This is how I do things after MUCH trial and error.

I really appreciate it. I'm so new at this. Are there any suggestions you have regarding not overheating whilst wearing a wig? Because the two I have, I feel like I can wear them for about ten minutes before I start being frustrated with either itching or sweating. It has been ~95F here lately though, so that would be part of it, haha.

Quote from: Sam314 on July 18, 2014, 10:46:16 AM
you should try finding one in real life similar to the one in you avatar picture. That might be a good one.

I think you may be right. It would be awesome if I could afford multiple wigs and have a bevy of hairstyles at my disposal :D

Quote from: riotgrrrl on July 18, 2014, 11:31:53 AM
I agree with what sam says and I know this one would look great on you I've been wanting to get it myself.
I personally think a brown hair color with an ombre blonde would look great on you. The blonde in my opinion washes you out alittle.

I am gathering that blond synthetic wigs look way fake. So maybe something a bit darker would work nicely. I have never seen my face with a darker color wig.. Would I need to color my eyebrows to match do you think?

Quote from: Julia-Madrid on July 18, 2014, 11:41:26 AM
Annabella, the best way to see what wigs will work for you is to try some at a store.  In my experience the catalogue photos are misleading and may require you to spend considerable time styling them, if they're able to deal with the heat.

If there were a wig store near me (I have not found one yet) that would be great.. I'm kind of nervous about going into one alone however.

Quote from: Julia-Madrid on July 18, 2014, 11:41:26 AM
It would also be good to go shopping for wigs with a family member, trust me.  They will give you honest feeback.  Friends might be more inclined to go for something dramatic rather than something that just makes you look like you.

I don't even have any friends who know.. And most of my family lives far away or are estranged.. so.. yeah :( I would be really uncomfortable taking my SO wig shopping with me just yet.. she has a habit of being a bit overwhelming with the criticisms and she is the only person who knows.
"But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy."
― Ellen Wittlinger, Parrotfish
  •  

Julia-Madrid

Quote from: Annabella on July 18, 2014, 11:49:44 AM

If there were a wig store near me (I have not found one yet) that would be great.. I'm kind of nervous about going into one alone however.

Oh heavens, I was nervous going into each store.  Made me feel like a bit of a freak.  "No, I am NOT a transvestite, I am a transgender woman."  And then they call you "chico" which is just what you didn't want...  But the better places tend to have staff who are more sensitive.  (Tip:  if the storefront window is full of party wigs it's a bit of a sign of what you'll find inside :D)
  •  

riotgrrrl

Your welcome I am an aspiring cosmetologist and I LOVE working with HAIR and making cheap hair work and look expensive! I would love to have an assortment of trans clients because I know it would be hard for someone to try on wigs and get them styled or cut when they are starting transitioning or don't pass. Since I'm trans too they wouldn't have to worry about feeling uncomfortable or being outed and put in danger.

I do agree they can be itchy and hot when its warm out where I live it can be up to 110 degrees I am just used to it and the wigs are. The wigs I buy are all what is called "capless" where you can itch your head through the tracks and allows air to circulate. Wearing a stocking cap also prevents itching. Its just something your going to have to get used to. Its the only option for me as I have a very male hairline hair thinning and a big forehead so bangs really feminize my features. I can't afford a hair transplant.I still pass without one but I don't feel very fem or confident without it in public. My hair is getting thicker and growing on spiro though so I'm crossing fingers. My real hair is boob length and I just wear it in a middle part. It is too thin on top to do bangs at the moment :(
I just stick with the same style because If you wear a different wig everyday people will know lol. Thats why it's nice to get a wig with a bang because you can pin it back curl it wave it straighten it side bang front bang ponytail bun the options are limitless.

Yes they do but a trick around that is to get a wig with a dark root there are also tutorials on youtube on how to add a dark root to a blonde wig. You wouldn't need to fill in your brows because they have a brown tone to them. A suggestion is to have your brows shaped and thinned because you have a beautiful face and that would compliment and feminize it more. I know I have to pluck mine frequently LOL I don't do bushy brows. Not that my wig bangs don't cover them XD.

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so whenever I go to a black beauty supply I get looks like "you don't belong here" from other customers because I'm white. It's embarrassing for ME to put myself in a situation where I will be seen as trans when I PERSONALLY just want to and do blend in.

I don't know the details of your relationship but if your S/O isn't supportive and is critical now you really need to work that out because she can really hinder your transition.  Don't rely on others to make yourself feef confident you have to find it within yourself. That's why I give SUGGESTIONS not ORDERS :). If you want to you can PM me if you have any hair questions I'd be happy to help.
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
- Maya Angelou
  ☽O☾ Blessed Be
  •  

Alainaluvsu

The length of your current wig is good, but I do not like the style or color. Keep in mind you'll need a wig made of real hair if you're looking to style it. The style / color that Antonia showed is a much better match for you.

I went to beauty school as well, but I dropped out to move and some health issues ended my possible cosmetology career, but I still take an interest in hair. I'll say this: don't... DON'T do a pixie cut. You will NOT look good in it. Your chin is way too long to pull it off.
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

•  

riotgrrrl

The newest wig and hair extension fiber called futura is synthetic but you can heat style it up to 450 degress and it holds the style better than human hair it has the look and feel of human for 1/2 the price. Normal synthetic hair will just melt and I think that's what you mean't by your human hair comment. I agree about the pixie cut longer wigs can also hide any side burn shadow aswell!
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
- Maya Angelou
  ☽O☾ Blessed Be
  •  

Alainaluvsu

Quote from: riotgrrrl on July 19, 2014, 02:44:16 PM
The newest wig and hair extension fiber called futura is synthetic but you can heat style it up to 450 degress and it holds the style better than human hair it has the look and feel of human for 1/2 the price. Normal synthetic hair will just melt and I think that's what you mean't by your human hair comment. I agree about the pixie cut longer wigs can also hide any side burn shadow aswell!

Synthetic hair doesn't actually melt (well, unless it's cheap), it just doesn't have any ability to reform. The ability to hold a style depends on the resilience of the hydrogen bonds in your hair. Some people can hold a style for days. I'm lucky if I can hold a style for an hour lol...

Never heard of Futura. I've looked at it, it does look real. Pretty neat.
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

•